Good shoulder doctor

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Default Good shoulder doctor

Opinion on Ocala Ortho doc Dr. Manseau...I heard he is very very good. He takes Villages Health Insurance.

Dr's Locker and Cannon don't take Villages Health Insurance..

.Anyone have surgery with Dr Tom Sullivan in the Villages? Villages Health Insurance accepted. Dr. Ethier is filled up so can't get in with him..so was referred to his 'partner'..Dr.Sullivan.

Problem is with complete tear (full thickness tear) in shoulder..one tendon involved...

So many uncertainties with surgeons these days...Villages Health Ins doesn't give you many options.

No info needed for Drs Olliverie, Hunt, Cowin...won't use them.

thanks,.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Location: Philadelphia PA, North Wildwood NJ, Village of Tamarind Grove - June 2011

I don't know if they take your insurance but I would give Dr. Cook at Tri County Orthopedics a call. While riding her bike my friend was run off the golf cart trail by two women in a rented golf cart. She really messed up her shoulder. Dr. Cook specializes in shoulder surgery and he put her back together with 15 pins and is as good a new if not better. I went to him when I tore my meniscus and he did my surgery too. He is outstanding and I would highly recommend him. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

Dr. Mitchell at Tri County is also an excellent shoulder doc. That's their "shoulder guy" per the front office gals.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager View Post
Dr. Mitchell at Tri County is also an excellent shoulder doc. That's their "shoulder guy" per the front office gals.
I had a partial tear, tendonitis and excruciating pain in my shoulder. I went to Dr Mitchell at Tri County and he said I needed surgery right away. Dr Mitchell was very nice and explained everything on the side of immediate surgery. I wanted a second opinion and asked around about a teaching practice. I went to see Dr Mark Frankel at FLorida Orthopaedic Institute north of Tampa, part of Univ. of Cemtral Florida. Dr Frankel and his Fellows opted for a cortisone injection and physical therapy and said that I could always choose surgery if the cortisone and physical therapy did not work. Dr Frankel explained that 50% of people my age (prime Villages age) have torn rotator cuff tears. Considering the pain and the length of the recuperation after shoulder surgery, doing without surgery immediately suit me fine. Google Dr Mark Frankel and read about him. Very experienced, very thorough and not eager to cut. ANd his specialty is shoulders and elbows. No need to go into Tampa. It's north of Tampa at 13020 N. Telecom Pkwy. It's 55 minutes from our door in Sunset Pointe to Dr Frankels office. If you get there early, you are taken early. And Dr Frankel has all the time in the world to talk to you and explain it all. If you are interested, the phone number is 813-978-9700. I was very happy and have not once wondered if I did the right thing.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:29 PM

Thank you for your reply and interest.

I have 'complete tear'..only 1 tendon and actually no pain..so my quality of life in my every day stuff is done ok..driving, showering, doing dishes, etc.

I have 2 other appts with potential surgeons...Dr. Williams ..Villages Specialty..and one in Ocala..Dr. Manseau.

Otherwise doing ok..done lots of 'homework' and reading on shoulder issues so feel I can talk and understand aspects of my issue.

Thank you for your reply. Saw Dr. Cook. right away he wanted to 'cut'..never prescribed any NSAID for the bursitis that was part of the issue..so wrote him off for my situation..I am sure he is good for others..but for mine..no.

Again..thank you.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

If you want my vote for an orthopedist, the only one I know in the Villages is Tom Sullivan. He moved here in January, but prior to that he was a colleague of mine for 28 years. I have referred hundreds of patients to him with great results, he was my orthopedist, and one of the last things he did just prior to Christmas was inject my wife's shoulder for a partial rotator cuff tear. She has been bowling ever since and played golf with me in TV last month. He is thorough, knowledgeable, empathetic, and a talented surgeon.
Just my opinion, but I think I know a little about the subject
Old 03-28-2015, 01:53 PM

Yes, Tom Sullivan...I made a mistake..that is who I am seeing next week here in the villages. I'm glad your wife's shoulder is ok and partial tears are far better but interesting with my complete tear ..that I have no pain and can do most what I normally do. So my quality of life is good. I just make sure I don't lift anything that is at all heavy and treat it 'gingerly'. I have done a lot of reading on surgery vs no surgery for my situation. I am not in favor of surgery and then a year long of post op pain and not being able to fully function. So I'll chat with Dr. Sullivan and see what my options are. Thank you for your response. aj
Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 PM

BEST shoulder physician around is Dr. Isaac Mitchell at Tri-County Orthopedic; he is John Hopkins trained...
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 AM

I had a complete tear in the right shoulder. I went to Dr Ellis at the Orthopedic Institute in Gainesville, recommended by a tennis playing friend. He was excellent and I am back to playing tennis. I've been told not to wait too long as it can get worse and can get to the point that it's too far gone to fix. Mine did get worse as I had continued to play. Glad I had it done! Good luck!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.