Hacking cough

Old 04-29-2024, 05:30 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,561 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramfry52 View Post
Anybody else have or had a hacking cough with phlegm that lasts for 1-2 months? What treatment did you seek and what finally helped?
How about you go to the doctor
Old 04-29-2024, 05:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,008 Times in 4,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
It's called RSV ... a virus...the harsh symptoms can be prevented ( people argue about getting vaccines, but both Candidates for President received theirs)
Amazing. I was known among my peers as a pretty good diagnostician, but I don't think I could diagnose RSV from an internet post. Congratulations!

For the OP----2 months of a cough meets criteria to perform a chest X-ray---I hope you've had one.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I had chronic asthmatic bronchitis for around 20 years. It eventually went away by itself.
By any chance was that soon after you moved from wherever you used to live to The Villages????? Asking for a friend
Old 04-29-2024, 05:35 AM

I've heard that sometimes this is a reaction to meds...can't remember if it was blood pressure or cholesterol meds.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:00 AM

Once upon a time FL skies were clear blue. No lingering "smog". There were Spring rains to wash away the pollen, moderate to low wind levels. Anyone remember when we had a Spring rain?

We have a constant haze over T V for reasons people will chalk up to crazy conspiracy theory. Iykyk. Stratospheric Aerosol Injections -weather engineering. Companies all around the world are making billions off of dimming the sun in the name of climate change... to what end?

Look up at the palm trees in The Villages. They should all be VIVID green full of life. Look up. Even on a cloudless day the sky is full of haze.

Breathe it in breathe it out. Cough cough. Sure go to a doctor. Take more meds k-ching. Whatever you do wear your tin foil mask while you breath in that fresh air!

Don't get me wrong... when the timing is right, FL will get its rain. Dubai did with its cloud seeding, but shhhh.

Do feel better. I myself have been coughing for months. Yes, been to the doctor. Ya know must be "allergies" wink wink.

Last edited by GizmoWhiskers; 04-29-2024 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:32 AM
Default Cough

I had the same kind of cough for about 3 years and just thought it was allergies. I happened to mention it to one of friends who said his wife had the same issue and referred to it as the 100 day cough and it was nothing to worry about according to her doctor.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Anybody else have or had a hacking cough with phlegm that lasts for 1-2 months? What treatment did you seek and what finally helped?
For me,
3 round of Anti-Biotics did nothing. Months of hacking (not on the golf course)
Turned out I needed to go to an ENT. Atlantic Ear Nose and Throat did a wonderful job.
Results: Completely blocked sinuses (all of them), deviated septum, and an lingering infection (because of no drainage).
Cause: Allergies...that are because of being in Florida and not in the North
Cure: Sinus surgery
Feeling much better now!!
Old 04-29-2024, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWhiskers View Post
Once upon a time FL skies were clear blue. No lingering "smog". There were Spring rains to wash away the pollen, moderate to low wind levels. Anyone remember when we had a Spring rain?

We have a constant haze over T V for reasons people will chalk up to crazy conspiracy theory. Iykyk. Stratospheric Aerosol Injections -weather engineering. Companies all around the world are making billions off of dimming the sun in the name of climate change... to what end?

Look up at the palm trees in The Villages. They should all be VIVID green full of life. Look up. Even on a cloudless day the sky is full of haze.

Breathe it in breathe it out. Cough cough. Sure go to a doctor. Take more meds k-ching. Whatever you do wear your tin foil mask while you breath in that fresh air!

Don't get me wrong... when the timing is right, FL will get its rain. Dubai did with its cloud seeding, but shhhh.

Do feel better. I myself have been coughing for months. Yes, been to the doctor. Ya know must be "allergies" wink wink.
Thank you ............
Old 04-29-2024, 06:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieBon View Post
I've heard that sometimes this is a reaction to meds...can't remember if it was blood pressure or cholesterol meds.
It's common among the class of anti-hypertensives known as ACE (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme) inhibitors--- benazepril, enalapril and lisinopril being the most commonly prescribed. Up to 15% or so of people taking these meds can develop a chronic cough, which almost always disappears after withdrawal of the medication. I've treated a few cases where the cough persisted for years, but that was quite rare.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:
After a month in our Villages home went to NJ and developed the “hack” as you described and theee weeks later feeling a little less congested. Z Pack, eye drops, nose spray and a prescribed sleep time cough medicine. I thought it was New Jersey allergies with beginning of growing season
Old 04-29-2024, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

I have lived in the Villages for 20+ yrs and I get stuffy and congested every winter. Medication doesn't seem to help. I monitor the humidity in my home (raising it if necessary to combat the dry air) and take a hot shower when I can't stand it any longer. Both the humidity and steam always helps.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:13 AM

See your doctor!!!
Old 04-29-2024, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Very possibly allergic reaction to the pollen tsunami we have had for weeks on end. If allergy meds do not help it could be something serious. I’d get checked by a medical professional
Old 04-29-2024, 07:35 AM

Wife has the same issue…Dr. Told her it is an allergic reaction to the extremely high pollen counts this Spring.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Mucinex DM helps break up the phlegm and temper the cough. Also drink lots of clear fluids to thin out the phlegm. Preferably water or decaf tea. But hope you talk to your doc about it first.

Tags
hacking, cough, finally, seek, treatment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.