Has Anyone Successfully Weaned Off Acid Reflux Medication?

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2016, 07:21 PM

Went from 40 mg daily to 20 mg daily.... After a few months started taking the 20mg every other day.... Still on that dosage and have no,problems......will probably just stay at this
Old 08-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield View Post
Organic apple cider vinegar with "the Mother" helped me get off of it. Our bodies need acid to help digest our food. Those drugs suppress what we need. I take a tablespoon with a warm glass of water, honey and cinnamon. The cinnamon also helps control my type 2 diabetes (which is now totally gone) All of the drug instructions say to only use for a short time so there must be a reason not to take for a long time
Do you think this combo helped w your diabetes, too? Or did you lose a bunch of weight? Any secrets you can share, I am all ears..

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 05:23 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield View Post
Organic apple cider vinegar with "the Mother" helped me get off of it. Our bodies need acid to help digest our food. Those drugs suppress what we need. I take a tablespoon with a warm glass of water, honey and cinnamon. The cinnamon also helps control my type 2 diabetes (which is now totally gone) All of the drug instructions say to only use for a short time so there must be a reason not to take for a long time
Thank you

Last edited by rubicon; 08-20-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:45 AM

I was diagnosed with Laryngopharyngeal reflux.
Dr. had me on Lansoprazole- 60 mg/day! My insurance company was unhappy with such a large dose, but I took it for two years. I complained to the Dr. that it didn't help much and could I get off it? He said "Oh no, you'll be on this the rest of your life!" After researching on the internet I decide to wean myself off. I won't say I'm cured but I am just as well off the meds, and a lot of times better than when I was on. I'm not interested in taking large doses of drugs if they aren't working!
Old 08-20-2016, 07:48 AM

I think it was the combination of diet, exercise, and cinnamon that worked.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:14 AM
Gold member

Well, I know lots of you will laugh at my remedy, but it does work. I drink buttermilk when I feel my stomach starting to get upset. If I wake up during the night from acid reflux or stomach queasiness, I go to the fridge and drink buttermilk. I have told several of my friends and my wife (who was the hardest to get to try it) and it works for all of them. I learned it as a young adult as a hangover cure. Growing up on the farm and drinking raw milk, we were used to drinking buttermilk. Cottage cheese also works, but not as well.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:54 AM

Trouble is a lot of times acid reflux can be asymptomatic. This means that just because you are not having heartburn, you cannot assume that acid reflux is not happening. And acid reflux is a primary cause of esophageal cancer, a type of cancer which is difficult to treat.
So if you decide to quit taking your acid blocking medications, be sure to have a follow up endoscopy to make sure you are not damaging your esophagus.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Trouble is a lot of times acid reflux can be asymptomatic. This means that just because you are not having heartburn, you cannot assume that acid reflux is not happening. And acid reflux is a primary cause of esophageal cancer, a type of cancer which is difficult to treat.
So if you decide to quit taking your acid blocking medications, be sure to have a follow up endoscopy to make sure you are not damaging your esophagus.
What zonerboy said.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
What zonerboy said.
Esophageal cancer is what took my mother's life. She self medicated for almost 25 years with Alka Seltzer. What a shame. I had a gastric Bypass 12 years ago and just found out yesterday that I was supposed to be taking prescription heartburn medicine for the entire time and that I risk having an ulcer if I don't take it.

Although I have put the majority of the weight back on I did learn that I can avoid heartburn by staying away from Shrimp, Steak, Red Gravy! I will follow the new Doctors direction because I'm not the doctor she is.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Platinum member
Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
this is what happened with my brother. No heartburn at all. One time he got steak caught inhis throat and went to ER. they recommended endoscopy and he already had a condition called Barrett's esophagus...the precursor to cancer.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:15 AM

My son and wife took Prilosec for years. They both started taking probiotics and have successfully weaned off the medication. They now only need it occasionally if they are going to eat foods high in acid like tomato sauce. Also do not eat 1 hour before laying down.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 AM

Here's a comment .... taking this stuff (as I did) for several years has resulted (unexpectedly to the medical profession) in one's stomach producing more acid to make up for the medication. Weaning off it is difficult - because the stomach has to learn to produce less acid slowly. The technique (under physicians supervision or agreement) is as follows ... (a) take the scripted medication on alternative days and in the intervening days take Rolaids with dinner and then Ranitidine 300 mg (Zantac) an hour before bedtime for about a month or more (b) change to twice a week substituting the Ranitidine (c) continue to reduce and substitute and (d) when 100% on Ranitidine start to substitute Rolaids with the evening meal and again an hour before bedtime and continue this until you are off the Ranitidine and only on the Rolaids (or other antacid) and then slowly reduce those. This is a two to three year process. Remember that allowing acid into your esophagus is a problem because of the correlation between GERD and esophageal cancer.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Weight loss will help tremendously. Excess belly fat pushing on internal organs causes many problems including acid reflux or gurd.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:04 AM

After taking Prilosec for about 15 years I'm now off it. I tried tapering down years ago but that didn't work. I now take ranitidine but am tapering that off to and it seems to be working. I'm down to one tablet daily and reducing it by 1/4 every two weeks. I eat my biggest meal at lunch and hardly anything at night and nothing after 6pm. Avoid fats, and I try to eat lots of vegetables, fruits and fish and chicken, whole grains, brown rice and very little sugar. It's working.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:38 AM

Ditto to Carla B's note. I was on proton pump inhibitors for years, then Pantoprazole for the last couple years. I just decided to curtail the foods that caused me problems, such as she mentioned. No more regular coffee--only decaf and then only one in the am and one in the afternoon, not night-- no cola drinks either. Now, if only I could stay away from the M&Ms! I have Pantoprazole, but take it only when I know I'm going eat big and use Tums for other times. Good Luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
medication, reflux, acid, weaned, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.