Has Anyone Successfully Weaned Off Acid Reflux Medication?

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2016, 09:59 AM

When I complained about Acid Reflux, my doctor had me tested for Lactose, Sucrose, and Fructose intolerance. Turned out I was off the chart for Fructose and was told to check all labels for High Fructose Corn Syrup. Once I eliminated HFCS from my diet, the Acid Reflux disappeared. BTW, sodas were the first thing on the list Dr. Paiano told me to eliminate. It certainly is worth a try, and let's face it, the fewer meds we have to take, the better. :-)
Old 08-22-2016, 12:19 PM

I got off of acid reflux medications several years ago but consulted with my doctor first. He told me if I quit cold turkey, that my stomach would kick into overdrive producing much more acid than ever before. He told me to slowly wean myself off. So, I did that over the course of 2-3 months.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 PM

If anyone has a big gut, and a dunlap over the belt-- the acid reflux while always be there. When you lay down at night your fat tummy pushes the acid up into your esophagus. I lost 30 lbs. And the reflux has disappeared. I never take a pill any more. I also feel better overall
Old 08-22-2016, 12:58 PM

I got tired of taking the meds and decided to eliminate things which cause AR. Now I only occasionally eat chocolate and only after lunch. Stay away from acidic foods at dinner. No soft drinks. Coffee only in the AM. Soy milk instead. Don't eat late at night. Don't overeat.
Pretty much under control now.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:12 PM

I quit Nexium I was taking 2X daily. I now use Brags Apple cider vinegar All Natural with the Mother. You can get it at Walmart or grocery store. I take 1 shot glass in the morning with a glass of water. I take mine then drink the water. If I have bad heartburn I take a shot & in 1-2 minutes it's gone!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 PM

I'm still working on it, but I started taking a 1/4 of the beads out of each 20 mg. capsule. Then After a month, 1/2. Now I'm on 10 mg a day vs. 20 with no bad reaction. I'll stay on this for a month or so and then I'll start taking beads out again. This has to be very gradual or the rebound is awful. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
I was wondering if anyone has weaned off their acid reflux medication after taking it for several years? And if so, how did you wean off it?

YES I did about 25 yr ago. with a multifactorial approach. If you would like more information contact me at cdbqtv2015@gmail.com
Cindy
Old 08-23-2016, 10:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyNah1 View Post
YES I did about 25 yr ago. with a multifactorial approach. If you would like more information contact me at cdbqtv2015@gmail.com
Cindy
What is a multifactorial approach? If you don't mind, could you share what worked for you?

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-23-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran member
Default Nexium

I have acid reflux and AFIF, stage 3 kidney disease. Read that Medium can cause further damage to my kidneys. Am trying to get off of it now. Hoping not to have acid reflux for not taking Medium. If I do, will have to find med that won't further damage my kidneys. Anyone else have this problem? Has anyone solved this?

Tags
medication, reflux, acid, weaned, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.