Has your balance improved with arch supports

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2023, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Has your balance improved with arch supports

I have occasional balance issues after my hip replacement and wondering if "Good Feet Store" is the answer? And no, I have not been drinking, lol. Anyone with same issues?
Old 10-18-2023, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

A couple of things I've learned about the Good Feet Store over the years (it's a chain, they have them all over the place in this country).

They'll play a little applied kinesiology trick on you to demonstrate how much better your balance and core strength response works with their orthotics than without. That part of the sales process is a sham. They do the same trick on people at the Church of Scientology to demonstrate that you have inner trauma that they can help you resolve, and the same trick at some chiropractor offices to demonstrate how badly your spine is misaligned.

That said -

Orthotics CAN improve your balance. Better quality fully supportive shoes that fit properly and with appropriate insoles can also improve your balance for a lot less money. Good Feet actually sells some of those shoes. I have a pair of Brooks from there. All leather, thickly padded, with a firm flexible foam medium arch insole. Very lightweight even though they look stupidly clunky (old lady shoes, yup they sure are). Super super comfortable. I got the D width because three of my toes are the same length and I have a neuroma on one foot. A normal width shoe or any shoe without a box-toe construction always pinches my toes together and makes walking painful.

If your podiatrist recommends actual prescription orthotics but you want to try out the idea first, you could spend a few bucks on some firm Dr. Scholls inserts. Look for ones with "post" support and metatarsal support, and a firm or even rigid arch. Whatever shoes you use them in have to have a removable insole.

Real prescription orthotics can cost between $400-900. Crappy inserts off the shelf run around $10. Better quality shelf-stuff might be up to $30. Shoe-store specialty insoles made for specific brands might run around $50. Good Feet's cost between $200-500.

Good Feet orthotics are not prescription but they are custom. Personally, if I was going to spend that much on orthotics, I'd pay the extra couple hundred and get prescription ones. Plus insurance might cover the RX but not the custom (your insurance coverage may vary).

Edited to add: When I went to Good Feet I told them I wasn't interested in checking my balance (they always offer). I just wanted a good solid super-sturdy pair of real-leather black shoes that were suitable for standing for many hours a day. They pointed out the Brooks, they were some insane amount like $150, and they fit so well I wore them on my way out of the store with my old shoes in a bag.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:01 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I have occasional balance issues after my hip replacement and wondering if "Good Feet Store" is the answer? And no, I have not been drinking, lol. Anyone with same issues?
I work with a personal trainer (Physical Therapy works also) for balance issues. You would be amazed at how much they can help.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
A couple of things I've learned about the Good Feet Store over the years (it's a chain, they have them all over the place in this country).

They'll play a little applied kinesiology trick on you to demonstrate how much better your balance and core strength response works with their orthotics than without. That part of the sales process is a sham. They do the same trick on people at the Church of Scientology to demonstrate that you have inner trauma that they can help you resolve, and the same trick at some chiropractor offices to demonstrate how badly your spine is misaligned.

That said -

Orthotics CAN improve your balance. Better quality fully supportive shoes that fit properly and with appropriate insoles can also improve your balance for a lot less money. Good Feet actually sells some of those shoes. I have a pair of Brooks from there. All leather, thickly padded, with a firm flexible foam medium arch insole. Very lightweight even though they look stupidly clunky (old lady shoes, yup they sure are). Super super comfortable. I got the D width because three of my toes are the same length and I have a neuroma on one foot. A normal width shoe or any shoe without a box-toe construction always pinches my toes together and makes walking painful.

If your podiatrist recommends actual prescription orthotics but you want to try out the idea first, you could spend a few bucks on some firm Dr. Scholls inserts. Look for ones with "post" support and metatarsal support, and a firm or even rigid arch. Whatever shoes you use them in have to have a removable insole.

Real prescription orthotics can cost between $400-900. Crappy inserts off the shelf run around $10. Better quality shelf-stuff might be up to $30. Shoe-store specialty insoles made for specific brands might run around $50. Good Feet's cost between $200-500.

Good Feet orthotics are not prescription but they are custom. Personally, if I was going to spend that much on orthotics, I'd pay the extra couple hundred and get prescription ones. Plus insurance might cover the RX but not the custom (your insurance coverage may vary).

Edited to add: When I went to Good Feet I told them I wasn't interested in checking my balance (they always offer). I just wanted a good solid super-sturdy pair of real-leather black shoes that were suitable for standing for many hours a day. They pointed out the Brooks, they were some insane amount like $150, and they fit so well I wore them on my way out of the store with my old shoes in a bag.
Wow! Thanks for all the great info, I feel more enlightened now and I'm pretty sure I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn. Really, thank you very much.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
I work with a personal trainer (Physical Therapy works also) for balance issues. You would be amazed at how much they can help.
Thank you, going to Genesis today.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Thank you, going to Genesis today.
If you have United Healthcare or Florida Blue they will accept your Silver Sneakers. They would not accept mine so I go to Anytime Fitness on 466 where they do take it. Just tell them you are interested in working on balance.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:34 AM

Balance of your person always improves after a trip to this store as your wallet is much lighter in weight than when you came in. Howere, balance of your bank account lessens, so it all even out.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
A couple of things
Thanks Big O............I've wondered about them with that much advertising.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:02 AM

One of the best balance exercises is Tai Chi. My gosh when I was doing that for a month I noticed my mobility jumped to amazing. The repetitions from every movement and posture brought my mind/body connections up several notches. I was playing sports without thinking, just reacting, with positive results. Instead of thinking what I wanted to do, my body just did it.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

I have flat feet aka balance issues. I have gotten orthotics from a podiatrist and I have the good feet as well. My least favorite are the podiatrist ones. I never wear them. I actually don’t like them at all. I like the good feet version and I like some I’ve gotten off amazon. If you ever go on a cruise, most ships sell good feet on the ship for less $ and no tax. Just fyi. They have someone that will do the tests for the correct size.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:15 AM
Default CDC recommends Tai Chi for balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycereal View Post
One of the best balance exercises is Tai Chi. My gosh when I was doing that for a month I noticed my mobility jumped to amazing. The repetitions from every movement and posture brought my mind/body connections up several notches. I was playing sports without thinking, just reacting, with positive results. Instead of thinking what I wanted to do, my body just did it.
The CDC recommends Tai Chi for the best exercise for balance. I have taken it here at the Rec centers for a few years. My balance and health have both improved significantly.

Last edited by Sedlecky; 10-19-2023 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Apart from that store, if you are wearing slip-on shoes or shoes that are loose enough that you slip your feet into them and walk around without needing to tie rhem or tighten Velcro straps or something, there’s a good chance that you will have balance problems. Those comfortable shoes that look like running shoes except that don’t attach tightly to your feet are among the worst. Why? If your leg starts to lean outwards a little when you step, they don’t help prevent that. They even encourage it. (Similarly, it’s harder to maintain balance on a thick carpet with a thick pad than on a hard floor—though it hurts less if you fall.) That is to say, sometimes what is called the Heel Counter is too loose when you are walking, so your heel can roll around. You may not need an insole at all, or even arch support. You may just need shoes that firmly support your heel from the sides. You definitely won’t get that from those comfy old shoes you can slip into without retying them. If you buy $20 shoes at WalMart like I did for years, you may need to move up to a $100 pair of shoes, but it doesn’t always need to be Good Feet with all the fancy stuff inside. Depends on the problem.

I was having so much pain when walking that I could hardly walk. I went to a good podiatrist. He told me to get rid of those sleek, light, barely-supported AllBirds I’d been wearing for several years and showed me what to look for. After a couple false starts, I found what I needed, and within a few days my foot stopped hurting. I thought I was going to need surgery! No pain in the past year. What I got came with several exchangeable insoles, and I also had some from a pharmacy. I ended up just using the flattest and thinnest of them. Almost like walking barefoot. My shoes have Velcro closures, but I make sure they are cinched up enough to provide support. Much better balance, too.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4322.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	100716  
Old 10-19-2023, 06:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

Orthotics have been so helpful to me, especially for knee issues, and I can imagine they would help your balance too. If you want to naturally help yourself build intrinsic muscles to help you with balance, it's as simple as standing on one foot for as long as you can. Make sure you have something to grab if you feel yourself lose balance, but you can do this when brushing teeth, waiting for your turn to play pickleball, etc... It makes a huge difference to get muscles to assist you, as well as orthotics I reckon.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:00 AM

Thankfully I have not had any joint replacements. Who knows what the future holds for me. That being said my problem is different than yours. I have lived with flat feet all my life. I went from metal arch supports as a kid that I just could not ware to custom made Orthotics made by a Podiatrist (did the castings and all). Had as many problems from the lack of support as I had prior to the new Orthotics. When I questioned the lack of support I was told "we no longer recommend that much support". Go figure. I did go to a Good Feet store. My personal impression was high pressure sales to buy custom, high priced Orthotics. My best help came from a pair of Dr. Scholl's custom fit Orthotic inserts. You know the ones recommended by the foot scan in the stores. I can't say they improved balance issues but by changing how I stand my Back issues were dramatically reduced. I still ware shoes with the Dr. Scholl's inserts today. Good luck with your journey. You will need to do what works best for you.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Never tried good feet store, but I found the "arch fit" sneakers to be very helpful, I even found suitable inserts for bowling shoes. I went through the custom made HARD orthotics and found my knees were hurting during the week (I was working, office attire was leather shoes) and knees were fine on the weekend as I was wearing sneakers with SOFT inserts.
IMHO (I have NO medical experience) I would try the arch fit sneakers or at a minimum RUNNING sneakers as both of these have additional support, then a suitable exercise or rehab. When I was in rehab for a shoulder injury, I saw other patients going through exercises for balance.
Last thing, I have balance issues due to an inner ear problem and i know there are certain things I must avoid, you may want to have a suitable doctor check this out also.

Tags
issues, balance, lol, drinking, feet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.