Has your balance improved with arch supports

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2023, 10:00 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

I have been wearing orthotics from various podiatrists most of my life. A good pair of orthotics can take away foot and ankle pain, improve balance and increase endurance. My first pair were made for running. I still have them. You need to buy a half size or full size larger sneaker or shoe to accommodate both your feet and the orthotic. You can have a full orthotic which covers the whole foot bed. I prefer the half orthotic that is firm plastic with high arch support and heel stabilization. They are less bulky, easy to clean and last many years. They are worth the money. A podiatrist takes molds or casts of your feet and sends them away as a sort of Rx for the orthotics to be made from. About two weeks later the podiatrist will have the new orthotics for you. He/she will have you try them on to be sure they are correct. Mine have always been. Unless the orthotics are made for a specific use, like just for running, the podiatrist will probably tell you to wear them several hours the first day and add to that each day until you are comfortable all day.

In recent years there have been an increased amount of orthopedic shoes that you can buy in shoe stores or from Amazon. There are now many brands and styles. Although they are orthapedic in nature, they are not for your specific feet or foot issue.

Dansco makes clogs for both men and women (men & women have different foot structure) Dansco clogs have high arch support and a thick sole which used to be wood but is now a different material but same configuration.
Birkenstock makes excellent sandals. They are leather with two adjustable straps. They have a thick cork footbed and rubberlike sole. There is a plastic version that can be used in the shower, locker room or as pool shoes. I use them for slippers.
Both Dansco and Birkenstock use European sizing. I wear a size 7-7.5 so I am a size 38. There is a conversion chart.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:37 AM

I also have balance issues. Could you let me know the Brooks name of the shoe. I will be so grateful.

Sharon Brown
Old 10-19-2023, 11:43 AM
Default Abeo.com shoes

A physical therapist recommended ABEO.com . They were sold at the Walking Store but it’s all on line now. They have insoles for various foot conditions and sell orthotics as well. Sandals, sneakers, boots and slippers.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:18 PM

I buy Obeo inserts.. from the Walking Co… they’re fabulous.. $80 and they last a long time
Old 10-19-2023, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG999 View Post
I have been wearing orthotics from various podiatrists most of my life. A good pair of orthotics can take away foot and ankle pain, improve balance and increase endurance. My first pair were made for running. I still have them. You need to buy a half size or full size larger sneaker or shoe to accommodate both your feet and the orthotic. You can have a full orthotic which covers the whole foot bed. I prefer the half orthotic that is firm plastic with high arch support and heel stabilization. They are less bulky, easy to clean and last many years. They are worth the money. A podiatrist takes molds or casts of your feet and sends them away as a sort of Rx for the orthotics to be made from. About two weeks later the podiatrist will have the new orthotics for you. He/she will have you try them on to be sure they are correct. Mine have always been. Unless the orthotics are made for a specific use, like just for running, the podiatrist will probably tell you to wear them several hours the first day and add to that each day until you are comfortable all day.

In recent years there have been an increased amount of orthopedic shoes that you can buy in shoe stores or from Amazon. There are now many brands and styles. Although they are orthapedic in nature, they are not for your specific feet or foot issue.

Dansco makes clogs for both men and women (men & women have different foot structure) Dansco clogs have high arch support and a thick sole which used to be wood but is now a different material but same configuration.
Birkenstock makes excellent sandals. They are leather with two adjustable straps. They have a thick cork footbed and rubberlike sole. There is a plastic version that can be used in the shower, locker room or as pool shoes. I use them for slippers.
Both Dansco and Birkenstock use European sizing. I wear a size 7-7.5 so I am a size 38. There is a conversion chart.
Wow! So much good info from everyone, thank you, thank you!
Old 10-19-2023, 03:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycereal View Post
One of the best balance exercises is Tai Chi. My gosh when I was doing that for a month I noticed my mobility jumped to amazing. The repetitions from every movement and posture brought my mind/body connections up several notches. I was playing sports without thinking, just reacting, with positive results. Instead of thinking what I wanted to do, my body just did it.
Wow! Thank you, thank you! A pool peep might even teach a class.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Never tried good feet store, but I found the "arch fit" sneakers to be very helpful, I even found suitable inserts for bowling shoes. I went through the custom made HARD orthotics and found my knees were hurting during the week (I was working, office attire was leather shoes) and knees were fine on the weekend as I was wearing sneakers with SOFT inserts.
IMHO (I have NO medical experience) I would try the arch fit sneakers or at a minimum RUNNING sneakers as both of these have additional support, then a suitable exercise or rehab. When I was in rehab for a shoulder injury, I saw other patients going through exercises for balance.
Last thing, I have balance issues due to an inner ear problem and i know there are certain things I must avoid, you may want to have a suitable doctor check this out also.
Thank you Tinker, you ALWAYS HELP!
Old 10-19-2023, 04:14 PM
Sage
Default Thank you TOTV friends

It's really embarrassing when trying to walk and passerbys with raised eyebrows, all making gestures that imply a drinking problem. Will look for the perfect shoes, orthodics and guide Doug ( bless his heart, I'm pretty sure we could both use a guide dog.) I can check off, inner ear problem, pretty sure my merrell mules shoes will be given their proper burial (sure love those shoes) and looking into balance classes. Thank you guys BUNCHES.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baramu View Post
I also have balance issues. Could you let me know the Brooks name of the shoe. I will be so grateful.

Sharon Brown
The model name is "Addiction" and it's a walking shoe.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:03 AM
Default inserts

Not balance but I keep getting plantar fasitus I got online a hard foam insert from my emey that perfectly molds to your feet and I haven't had it lately
Old 10-20-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I have occasional balance issues after my hip replacement and wondering if "Good Feet Store" is the answer? And no, I have not been drinking, lol. Anyone with same issues?
fyi there are two classes given at rec centers by physical therapist on improving you balance Monday at hacienda at 10:00 and Tues at Rohan at 10:30 no registration required
Old 10-20-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I have occasional balance issues after my hip replacement and wondering if "Good Feet Store" is the answer? And no, I have not been drinking, lol. Anyone with same issues?

The latest hype in footwear for seniors are shoes with a coil or spring in the heel that claim to soften your walk and help propel you forward. They sell under various brands such as Spiro, Ortho, and Z-Coil, just to name a few. AVOID THESE SHOES LIKE THE PLAGUE. Shoes with heel springs contribute to balance problems and also cause your foot to pronate. Don’t let anyone give you a fake upsell to this spring-in-the-heel junk.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Having balance issues is not unusual for people who have had hip and/or knee replacement. It doesn’t automatically correct with surgery. Much of the issues have to do with weak muscles and in the case with athletic people, over use.

Balance and stability work hand in hand. You can’t have one without the other. One other key factor is strength.

As a trainer, I have found that many don’t move the joints and muscles needed to get stronger, gain mobility, balance, and strength before or after surgery. The center of your body is your core. There’s a kinetic reaction that takes place above and below your core. Core also encompasses your lower back. It’s important to have a strong core to hold your body up. By the way crunches are not the answer and can cause more harm than good.

I recently visited Dillards in Ocala for the first time and found the largest variety of good supportive shoes. I wear Mephisto brand sandals instead of Birkenstock because the fit is better. I have bunions and slightly flat feet. Also Dillards has Ecco, Birkenstock, Dansko, etc. for men and women.

It’s tough to find sneakers that work. One style does not fit all.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:33 AM
Default Balance Issues

I am a trainer who has several balance/fitness programs. If interested let me know
Old 10-20-2023, 09:36 AM
Default Planters Fascitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Not balance but I keep getting plantar fasitus I got online a hard foam insert from my emey that perfectly molds to your feet and I haven't had it lately
My planters cured after 1 year of GoodFeet arch support in my day shoes. I bought $5 CopperFit inserts at Ollie's for my sports shoes (golf, softball).
Closed Thread

Tags
issues, balance, lol, drinking, feet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.