Health insurance

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Default Health insurance

We are looking to retire early since my husband has been diagnosed with PD recently. One problem we're looking at is a lapse of insurance coverage for him for approximately 3 years until he can receive Medicare. The other problem is that I am only 51 so when he retires I lose my ins. Coverage from his employer also. I'm aware of the huge insurance premiums that may be too expensive for us to afford. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Sage

He might qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (Disability Medicare). Many people under 65 are on this...

See:
Disability Insurance | Parkinson's Action Network
Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer61 View Post
We are looking to retire early since my husband has been diagnosed with PD recently. One problem we're looking at is a lapse of insurance coverage for him for approximately 3 years until he can receive Medicare. The other problem is that I am only 51 so when he retires I lose my ins. Coverage from his employer also. I'm aware of the huge insurance premiums that may be too expensive for us to afford. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!
With your husband's PD, Option 1 - I would recommend calling Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan, a new health coverage option created by the Affordable Care Act. 866-717-5826 or check out the website www.pcip.gov. He may have to be without coverage for 6 months and there is no guarantee he will get coverage.

Option 2 - In October, there will be open enrollment for the 2014 Affordable Care Act for coverage effective Jan 1, 2014 for people with pre-existing conditions that cannot be denied. There will be the health care exchange run by the government and also a private insurance option. I do not know what the cost will be at this time for either.

I am an insurance agent for health insurance for those under 65 and those on Medicare needing supplements and prescription drug plans. If I can be of assistance, please send me a private email or call me at 352-347-6780.

I am an insurance agent and can help you if you like.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
He might qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (Disability Medicare). Many people under 65 are on this...

See:
Definitely do this! He will have to wait 2 years for Medicare to kick in, however, if he qualifies for disability, he will start to receive benefits, which will more than off-set the cost of insurance, while he waits. However, he may not qualify, if he is still working, and/or if he has retirement benefits. Not sure what the requirements are, but worth checking into.

My husband was diagnosed with PD when he was 59. He had already had to quit work, due to the illness, so his was an easy call. The good news is PD is not a particularly expensive condition to "treat".

Are you in The Villages yet? Are you aware of the Parkinson support groups here? If you would like more info, send me a PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the question Dreamer as I will be in the same boat in 3 years when my Hubby retires and I will only be 55..Will have no ins. as I retired early ( self employed) and had no pension..Please post whatever you find out if you can, will be interesting to some of us...Was thinking of just going with one of those "catastrophic plans" for emergencies only and paying the Dr and Dentists as I go.... ....
Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Call me I may be able to help 352-347-6780
Old 02-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

See:
Still a two year wait for medicare under SSD
Old 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM

COBRA is a federal law that says employers must extend health insurance to ex employees after they leave their employment. That would include you if you keep the family plan. The problem is that you have to pay the total premium for the plan, which can be quite expensive. At least you will not be without coverage untll you can find a better alternative. COBRA is usually for 18 months but can last up to 39 months under certain circumstances. His HR department is required to explain all his options as he leaves their employ.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpensabene View Post
With your husband's PD, Option 1 - I would recommend calling Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan, a new health coverage option created by the Affordable Care Act. 866-717-5826 or check out the website www.pcip.gov. He may have to be without coverage for 6 months and there is no guarantee he will get coverage.

Option 2 - In October, there will be open enrollment for the 2014 Affordable Care Act for coverage effective Jan 1, 2014 for people with pre-existing conditions that cannot be denied. There will be the health care exchange run by the government and also a private insurance option. I do not know what the cost will be at this time for either.

I am an insurance agent for health insurance for those under 65 and those on Medicare needing supplements and prescription drug plans. If I can be of assistance, please send me a private email or call me at 352-347-6780.

I am an insurance agent and can help you if you like.
The funds for the pre-existing insurance coverage have been depleted with many, many people in line. Just the tip of the iceberg!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 PM

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions. Very kind of you!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.