Health insurance for "gap" before Medicare

Old 03-12-2024, 07:19 AM
Sage

I read most all of the responses here and agree with the OP's that said anything could happen. Don't take your good health for granted. Things can change over night---cancer, heart-attack, accidents etc. Years ago I was working, my health was pretty decent THEN I had a work-related back injury. It was treated for over a year. The dr. finally told me that I'd never be 100% and he was correct. I'm now (30+) years later still limited with what activities I can do. IF not for insurance---not sure what might have happened. About 14 yrs or so ago, I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that too is dibilitating and I wouldn't wish on anyone. You just never/ever know!!
Old 03-12-2024, 07:20 AM

You need price protection. Sign up for a plan that has a contracted network of providers. e.g. United, Blue Cross, Aetna, Obama Care - all the big companies. Our recent MRI experience was – list price was $1200 – contracted price was $250. Then pick your deductible. You need the price protection.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Good luck. I do not know what things are like now but when I was in this situation, I paid a fortune in premiums for health insurance which are tied to age. Even though I had a $10,000 deductible, they would not pay for urgent care and was limited to geographically limiting health care unless it was a dire emergency necessitating an ER or hospitalization. I could not wait to be 65 so I could get on medicare. Obamacare was a scam.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
I will check them out, thanks!!
Believe it or not, the website healthcare.gov is extremely useful and easy to use. At one point; three of our four adult children used it to secure health insurance. Two still do (one independent consultant, one whose husband works for a small company that subsidizes their premiums rather than contrast with a single insurer). You can use it to shop and compare benefits and pricing. And then call companies individually if you want to. It’s a more unbiased view than you will get through a broker that is paid by the insurance companies. Also don’t overlook any professional organizations you do or could have belonged to as many offer some type of group insurance plans
Old 03-12-2024, 07:33 AM

When my kids were in graduate school, they aged out of my employer plan, and we got them insurance through Obamacare. The BCBS Gold plan with a separate dental plan was $770ish per month in NY for one child and $455 per month for the exact same plan for the other child in Texas. Not cheap, but the coverage is actually reasonable. The price spread between states seems excessive.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:33 AM

If you can cut your taxable income below the threshold get on Obamacare, eg healthcare.gov
Old 03-12-2024, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Good luck. I do not know what things are like now but when I was in this situation, I paid a fortune in premiums for health insurance which are tied to age. Even though I had a $10,000 deductible, they would not pay for urgent care and was limited to geographically limiting health care unless it was a dire emergency necessitating an ER or hospitalization. I could not wait to be 65 so I could get on medicare. Obamacare was a scam.
"Obamacare" is a legislative act, not a health insurance plan. You picked the wrong plan, probably an HMO or a limited-network PPO or POS.

I'm on FloridaBlue PPO with a zero deductible plan, but it has a $9700 out of pocket max. I pay discounted fees and $85 co-pay for services OTHER than the main yearly checkup, labs, mammography, routine colonoscopy, pap smear. Once that total hits $9700, I'm done paying for anything other than the premium (which is paid for currently by rewards points because I participate in their rewards program).

So my $25,000 hip replacement - if I get nothing else done all year, will cost me $9700.

The network is limited, but if I'm out of state and still in the country, I have access to doctors that participate with Blue Cross/Blue Shield/Anthem nationwide.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:43 AM

Do not go without health insurance -- life can change in a second -- as a Manager in Benefits for a large company, I have seen healthy people suddenly faced with serious health issues.

I would recommend that you go to: Still need health insurance? | HealthCare.gov. The site will list health plans -- do not just look at the monthly premiums -- look at the deductibles, copays and other features of the plans when selecting a plan.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:54 AM

Florida resident? Go to Healthcare.gov where you will find the ACA (Obamcare) plans and their premiums. Many other states use it as well. You can get any plan on there without having to worry about any preexisting conditions. If you don't use this exchange, all bets on coverage are off and you can be denied anything. You are severely discriminated against due to your age alone - something you cannot control. There are very few choices, the main two are Florida Blue and Ambetter. I got the least expensive Florida Blue Select Bronze plan and the per month premium is over $800. The out of pocket max is $9K in network and $18K out of network. I think the deductible for nonpreventative services is over $6K. And almost no providers around here accept it. There is a look back on your past income of I believe two years. If you can arrange to keep your income low during these years, you may qualify for a subsidy if the subsidy is not discontinued. A full subsidy can reduce your premium to $0.

Wait until you get to Medicare at age 65 and you will need to select a plan you may be stuck with the rest of your life because preexisting conditions come back into play and you may need medical underwriting if you want to switch from an Advantage plan to a Medigap plan after the trial period. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2024, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

In my opinion, everyone should have comprehensive health insurance. You can save money with a high deductible, but limiting coverage is a bad idea.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Any recommendations for insurance plans age 60 - 65? I just want basic emergency room, hospital. I'm in good health so would pay out of pocket for office visit if I need to go in.

Thanks!
We were in that same predicament this year. Check out healthcare.gov or healthsherpa.com. Gave us lots of options. Ended up with Florida Blue. You could also try an insurance broker
Old 03-12-2024, 10:44 AM
Sage

Obamacare plans can have high premiums with high out of pocket maximums. If your MAGI is low enough you might be able to get a subsidy for the premiums. You might want to consider a catastrophic plan for lower premiums. This was an option for me before going on Medicare. I found Janet Adam at Mid-Florida Agencies Florida Blue on CR101 just off of 466 to be very helpful when exploring my options.

Quote:
Any recommendations for insurance plans age 60 - 65? I just want basic emergency room, hospital. I'm in good health so would pay out of pocket for office visit if I need to go in.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2024, 11:12 AM

I'm hoping to find anyone who reads this and has had issues with Aetna. I have an Aetna Medicare PPO plan in Central Florida. I made a purchase of an exercise machine mid-January 2024. The plan says I have up to $800 reimbursement for such equipment. I have been trying for SIX WEEKS to get the process done to get a check. SIX WEEKS and close to 30 message back and forth with Aetna online staffers. If I had to make a choice today I WOULD NOT EVER USE AETNA again. Nothing but every conceivable excuse and delay. Still at step ZERO, with no live person being accountable at Aetna.

DO NOT USE AETNA.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:36 AM

My Wife and I have used Medishare with great success. Many providers provide a discount because of membership. They do not cover pre-existing conditions so be aware of that. Share cost is very low compared to traditional insurance with similar deductible
Old 03-12-2024, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbabler View Post
My Wife and I have used Medishare with great success. Many providers provide a discount because of membership. They do not cover pre-existing conditions so be aware of that. Share cost is very low compared to traditional insurance with similar deductible
Note that Medi-Share is not insurance and that the payment of medical bills is not guaranteed in any way.

Tags
health, insurance, visit, office, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.