Hearing Aids

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2022, 12:15 PM
Veteran member
Default Hearing Aids

I’ve been wearing new hearing aids now for about 6 weeks and I’m ready to return them. I have a high frequency loss and now what I’m hearing is very annoying. Things like the paper crinkling, throwing a light switch, my feet shuffling on the carpet, etc. I am still asking my wife to repeat what she is saying which is the only reason I got them. They have been adjusted 3 or 4 times with very little change. I generally can’t tell if they are in or not. What is your experience? Thanks
Old 04-20-2022, 12:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,143 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
What is your experience? Thanks
Stay away from hearing aids.

Seriously, for your reason I wouldn't buy any.
I have yet to hear good things about any hearing aids in any price range.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:35 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,983 Times in 760 Posts

If you aren’t happy with product then return them since you still can’t hear conversations with spouse. Why suffer. I have a hearing issue also but not enough to use aids.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Hearing aids

Doesn't your brand/model have volume controls?

It's a must. But no hearing aid will reproduce perfect, natural sound. Good luck wearing hearing aids outside on windy days. It'll sound like you're inside a popcorn cooker.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,266 Times in 2,288 Posts

OP, your hearing aids may not be programmed properly, go back to your supplier with your complaints and have them readjusted, i had to do this with mine. This should be a simple procedure.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,176 Times in 5,399 Posts

You probably need to have them adjusted.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:38 PM

I have been using hearing aids for over twenty years and also have problem with high frequency. I have used Phonak and Oticon brands -- both have been excellent and both were obtained through the VA. Hearing aids will never be the same as your original hearing, but they work very well once you get used to them AND get them adjusted correctly.

Do not give up on them, find a better professional that does hearing aids right! Good luck.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,589 Times in 3,141 Posts

It also depends on what -type- of hearing aids they are, and where you got them. Some hearing aids are just amplifiers with basic controls over treble and bass. Basically - fancy ear buds. Others are incredibly complex and dynamic, with multiple functionality to shift on the fly when you change environments.

Some of them have good noise reduction ability, some have zero noise reduction ability, and most fall somewhere inbetween. None of them have "full" noise reduction ability. If you can hear your wife, you'll hear that paper crinkling. But your wife's voice should be crisper, louder, and clearer than the sound of the paper.

UNLESS...unless it's not actually paper you're hearing. If you have ear hair, or if you put your aids in over hair that drapes over your ears, you might be hearing the sound of hair against your ears. Ask me how I know this
Old 04-20-2022, 04:08 PM

If you are unhappy, you should return them. Each hearing aid brand has strengths and weaknesses. Before choosing mine, I “test drove” several but avoided stores that only sold one brand. I would also suggest going to a doctor of audiology such as Paige Holt. She is affiliated with a physicians office so isn’t pushing only one kind. I told her what features were important to me and she was able to make suggestions. Some of the places I went made me feel like I was buying a used car. There were thousands of dollars difference for the same model at different places. My degree in Speech and Hearing Therapy made me very aware of things to avoid. Good luck. It is worth the effort.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,478 Times in 2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Stay away from hearing aids.

Seriously, for your reason I wouldn't buy any.
I have yet to hear good things about any hearing aids in any price range.
What utter nonsense. You really haven't a clue.
Without my aids I would live in a almost totally silent world.
Millions rely on them, or face exclusion from day to day communication.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:20 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,837 Times in 3,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
I have been using hearing aids for over twenty years and also have problem with high frequency.
Asking for a friend , do hearing aids aid with high freq loss??
Old 04-20-2022, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
What utter nonsense. You really haven't a clue.
Without my aids I would live in a almost totally silent world.
Millions rely on them, or face exclusion from day to day communication.
Thank you!
Over 30 years and the current technology available is fantastic.

Hearing aids are not for some percentage of people for various reasons. And some should remember or be aware hearing aids are not a cure all. And many hearing loss conditions are not correctable with hearing aids. Many are happy to NOT BE EXCLUDED......

I currently have the latest Oticon with rechargeable units, ability to make minor adjustments with my smart phone...... phone and television sound through the hearing aids.
Outstanding.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:55 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,209 Times in 332 Posts

Oh, I so wish that the Daily Sun paper would run some ads for hearings aids. I mean the public needs more information about them. Perhaps there is not enough profit in this business to warrant a bit of marketing in our paper here. Not looking for huge multi/page blown-out ads that may cost a fortune….. I’m sure there is so little profit in this market…….
Old 04-20-2022, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,266 Times in 2,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Asking for a friend , do hearing aids aid with high freq loss??
YES, many of these can have a customized to a frequency response curve specific to your needs. I have several friends that have hearing aids that are paired with their phones, and they can actually adjust the curve on the fly for specific sound conditions.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
What is your experience? Thanks
After putting it off for years, I finally broke down and got fitted at Costco last year. The best $1399 I've spent in a long time.

My fears of music sounding like crap, or exaggerated high frequency issues like you describe, or sounding like I'm in a tin can - none of them are my reality.

Yes, hearing things clearly again is something I needed to get used to - I hadn't heard the birds and crickets for a long time - but a year later and it all sounds natural now.

I think you have not been fitted and adjusted properly, just my opinion.
Closed Thread

Tags
hearing, aids, i’m, ready, times

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.