Hearing Aids: DX Moxi Fit (flex, rechargable)

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2021, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,526 Times in 3,111 Posts
Default Hearing Aids: DX Moxi Fit (flex, rechargable)

I'm experiencing these hearing aids with a 30-day trial. Today's my first day. I'd like to know if anyone else has this specific model. I know lots of hearing aids can do lots of things.

I've already had phone calls with these, and they're awesome for that. They're also great for watching videos on my cell phone, and hearing music from my cell phone. Supposedly the Doctor's going to hook me up with a TV stream device so I can hear the TV. However, I don't really need it hooked up to the TV. I could DEFINITELY use it hooked up to my computer, since that's where I watch movies and most of my videos. My computer doesn't have speakers, so I normally rely on bluetooth earbuds when I'm in my office.

I'm hoping the TV streamer will allow me to do the same thing on the computer. Theoretically I should be able to just plug it into the audio output and it'll work.

Meanwhile, if anyone has experience with the DX Moxi Fit (not the D - specifically the DX), I'd love some feedback! Considering these are going to cost me around $4000 for the pair, I need to not rely on reviews from google or amazon or unitron or hearing aid stores but rather from people I might be familiar with (such as yourselves).

And no, my insurance doesn't cover hearing aids, and there is no insurance that will for someone who is too young for medicare and not disabled enough for medicaid. So please no advice on cost savings or discount houses. I just want to know about the devices themselves.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2021, 09:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm experiencing these hearing aids with a 30-day trial. Today's my first day. I'd like to know if anyone else has this specific model. I know lots of hearing aids can do lots of things.

I've already had phone calls with these, and they're awesome for that. They're also great for watching videos on my cell phone, and hearing music from my cell phone. Supposedly the Doctor's going to hook me up with a TV stream device so I can hear the TV. However, I don't really need it hooked up to the TV. I could DEFINITELY use it hooked up to my computer, since that's where I watch movies and most of my videos. My computer doesn't have speakers, so I normally rely on bluetooth earbuds when I'm in my office.

I'm hoping the TV streamer will allow me to do the same thing on the computer. Theoretically I should be able to just plug it into the audio output and it'll work.

Meanwhile, if anyone has experience with the DX Moxi Fit (not the D - specifically the DX), I'd love some feedback! Considering these are going to cost me around $4000 for the pair, I need to not rely on reviews from google or amazon or unitron or hearing aid stores but rather from people I might be familiar with (such as yourselves).

And no, my insurance doesn't cover hearing aids, and there is no insurance that will for someone who is too young for medicare and not disabled enough for medicaid. So please no advice on cost savings or discount houses. I just want to know about the devices themselves.

Thanks!

For the record, Medicare does NOT cover hearing aids or fitting fees.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

I have Phonak hearing aids, and they are computer compatible.
Unfortunately my old steam driven laptop does not have the Hands Free Profile (HFP) and the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) on it to do that, so I can't.
If your laptop has that Bluetooth option you will probably be able to pair your device, same as to cell phone.
Does that make sense, or do I need to up my meds again?
Old 06-30-2021, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have Phonak hearing aids, and they are computer compatible.
Unfortunately my old steam driven laptop does not have the Hands Free Profile (HFP) and the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) on it to do that, so I can't.
If your laptop has that Bluetooth option you will probably be able to pair your device, same as to cell phone.
Does that make sense, or do I need to up my meds again?
Yes I'm already paired and connected to the computer. I can use it for skype, zoom, whatsapp, and other VoIP phone calls. But I don't use my computer for ANY of that stuff.

I use my phone to communicate audibly to people, my computer doesn't have a webcam and I'm not interested in getting one so there's no point in having skype, zoom, or anything else on it, and I don't need my computer to talk to people on the phone, since I have a perfectly good phone that does that.

What I want to do on the computer, is what I've been doing on it ever since I stopped watching TV on a regular basis:

Watch movies
Watch music videos
Watch TV series clips
Watch Facebook videos
Watch live news when I get an alert that there's something important going on (usually CSPAN court proceedings).

I'm not able to do that with _just_ bluetooth connection. I need that tv streaming device. It has something to do with the audio connected to the video and you can't put video into your hearing aids, so the two things need to be split, and the sound sent to your hearing aids while the video plays on the screen. I don't know much about the technology but that's my layman's understanding of it.

And yes, Medicare DOES cover hearing aids. It's through certain Medicare part C plans (Medicare part C is also known as Medicare Advantage), which I'm not eligible for because I'm not old enough. You have to have medicare, in order to sign up for Medicare part C.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:
Yes I'm already paired and connected to the computer. I can use it for skype, zoom, whatsapp, and other VoIP phone calls. But I don't use my computer for ANY of that stuff.

I use my phone to communicate audibly to people, my computer doesn't have a webcam and I'm not interested in getting one so there's no point in having skype, zoom, or anything else on it, and I don't need my computer to talk to people on the phone, since I have a perfectly good phone that does that.

What I want to do on the computer, is what I've been doing on it ever since I stopped watching TV on a regular basis:

Watch movies
Watch music videos
Watch TV series clips
Watch Facebook videos
Watch live news when I get an alert that there's something important going on (usually CSPAN court proceedings).

I'm not able to do that with _just_ bluetooth connection.
I need that tv streaming device. It has something to do with the audio connected to the video and you can't put video into your hearing aids, so the two things need to be split, and the sound sent to your hearing aids while the video plays on the screen. I don't know much about the technology but that's my layman's understanding of it.

And yes, Medicare DOES cover hearing aids. It's through certain Medicare part C plans (Medicare part C is also known as Medicare Advantage), which I'm not eligible for because I'm not old enough. You have to have medicare, in order to sign up for Medicare part C.

I never knew that.
Knowing that will save me getting another laptop.
I was wrong in my assumption of capabilities of the Bluetooth setup.
If you can't get a feed for the films, music etc. it will be no use to me either.
Learn something every day!
Old 06-30-2021, 11:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

SOME comprehensive Part C plans cover hearing aids and their maintenance costs.

If you are considering enrolling in a Medicare Advantage plan, it's essential to review the policy's cost and coverage, as this can vary considerably by individual policies. Many Medicare Advantage plans do cover hearing aids, although they may limit the maximum amount they’ll pay and a deductible may also apply. Your initial hearing exam may even be free if you use an in-network doctor.

So it's much like dental insurance, IMHO, bigger premium and limited coverage. There ain't no free rides but good luck with your new aids, I hope they put quality back into your hearing life.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:41 PM
Default hearing aids

Quote:

Thanks!

I replaced my 3yr old $6000 phonak's with Costco hearing aids (they are made by phonak) for $1399 for the pair. The new ones are amazing. I don't use the TV connector but don't really need one now.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
For the record, Medicare does NOT cover hearing aids or fitting fees.
My Medicare Advantage Plan covers hearing aids and fitting and periodic checkups. It pays full price on some hearing aids but not all. The ones my wife and I got were $4500 but the plan only paid about half the cost.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
My Medicare Advantage Plan covers hearing aids and fitting and periodic checkups. It pays full price on some hearing aids but not all. The ones my wife and I got were $4500 but the plan only paid about half the cost.
/////
Old 06-30-2021, 05:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

If you are considering enrolling in a Medicare Advantage plan, it's essential to review the policy's cost and coverage, as this can vary considerably by individual policies. Many Medicare Advantage plans do cover hearing aids, although they may limit the maximum amount they’ll pay and a deductible may also apply. Your initial hearing exam may even be free if you use an in-network doctor.

So it's much like dental insurance, IMHO, bigger premium and limited coverage. There ain't no free rides but good luck with your new aids, I hope they put quality back into your hearing life.
As stated earlier above, Dan9871
Old 06-30-2021, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:

Yes, "certain" means "some." That's why I said "certain" Medicare Advantage plans cover hearing aids.

But again, I am not eligible for ANY Medicare plans, advantage, hearing aid-covering, or otherwise. I won't be eligible for any of them for another 5 years.

By then, I'll need a new pair, and hopefully whatever plan I get at that point will cover them.

I've had hearing loss since birth. Wearing hearing aids is very disorienting to me because I'm used to not hearing so much noise. Now I hear the fan on my computer and the TV in the other room, and it's driving me nuts.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Yes, "certain" means "some." That's why I said "certain" Medicare Advantage plans cover hearing aids.

But again, I am not eligible for ANY Medicare plans, advantage, hearing aid-covering, or otherwise. I won't be eligible for any of them for another 5 years.

By then, I'll need a new pair, and hopefully whatever plan I get at that point will cover them.

I've had hearing loss since birth. Wearing hearing aids is very disorienting to me because I'm used to not hearing so much noise. Now I hear the fan on my computer and the TV in the other room, and it's driving me nuts.
A good friend has the same issues, low level hearing as a child caused her much stress when fitted with new enhanced hearing technology. She soon turned the volume down so far on them that she was pretty much back to square one. It’s a difficult adjustment, to put it mildly.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
A good friend has the same issues, low level hearing as a child caused her much stress when fitted with new enhanced hearing technology. She soon turned the volume down so far on them that she was pretty much back to square one. It’s a difficult adjustment, to put it mildly.
When you first get hearing aids you hear every noise like dishes rattling and papers shuffling which is annoying to say the least. However, it goes away in a few weeks. And I don't know why , maybe it takes time for your ears to adjust.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:20 AM

After trying out umpteen models over 4 years, I bought a pair Starkey hearing aids at TriCounty hearing aids in Sumter Landing. I paid $2900 for the pair several months ago and they were just as good as a pair priced at $8,000. This was the only pair I ever tried that were ridiculously easy to put in. They are blue tooth, phone controlled volume, and even have a GPS locator if you lose them. Highly recommend Tri County.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

I tried several kinds of Hearing Aides & when I tried the first pair I ever got I thought they were great & I could hear better but as time went on I found out I still couldn’t hear words & make out what people were saying. I’m on my 5th pair & these are Phonax they cost $7,000. I’ve had them about 2 1/2 yrs. now. Again I thought these are about as good as money could buy, after 2 1/2 yrs. I can’t really make out a lot of words but the Bluetooth for telephones is unbelievable, words are so clear but to make a long story short, these are no clearer than the first pair I ever got. One thing I can tell you & this is just my opinion, don’t get the ones that go into the ear canal that you can’t see. These gave ME a plug up feeling, & don’t buy real expensive ones! I can get some Hearing Aides for FREE but probably won’t, or get $7,000. ones.
Closed Thread

Tags
hearing, aids, phone, computer, videos

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.