Help with insulin resistance

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Veteran member
Default Help with insulin resistance

Thought I'd share a strategy that seems to be helping us. We are doing our best to eat breakfast late (10:30 or 11:00) and then fitting in lunch and dinner no later than 6pm. That way we are fasting for 16+ hrs. which gives our digestive tract a rest and seems to be helping reset the insulin receptors.

We are noticing that cravings are leaving and our appetite is normalizing. Weight is going down a bit though we do not need to lose much. I have never been a big breakfast eater so this was not difficult for me, but my husband thought he would mess breakfast.

However we eat breakfast late and it seems to be OK for him even with his going to the gym without eating. I like the idea of giving the stomach a rest without really going on a major fast, which I used to find very hard to do.

I used to get hypoglycemia if I didn't eat and hubby would often fall asleep after lunch (prediabetic sign) and that isn't happening now. We also have cut out most grains (eat quinoa or rice) and sugar. Have upped the probiotics and enzymes and HCL. So we'll see how this all pans out. Seems to be working well at the moment.

Just thought it might be of interest to some of you.

LW888
Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Thought I'd share a strategy that seems to be helping us. We are doing our best to eat breakfast late (10:30 or 11:00) and then fitting in lunch and dinner no later than 6pm. That way we are fasting for 16+ hrs. which gives our digestive tract a rest and seems to be helping reset the insulin receptors.

We are noticing that cravings are leaving and our appetite is normalizing. Weight is going down a bit though we do not need to lose much. I have never been a big breakfast eater so this was not difficult for me, but my husband thought he would mess breakfast.

However we eat breakfast late and it seems to be OK for him even with his going to the gym without eating. I like the idea of giving the stomach a rest without really going on a major fast, which I used to find very hard to do.

I used to get hypoglycemia if I didn't eat and hubby would often fall asleep after lunch (prediabetic sign) and that isn't happening now. We also have cut out most grains (eat quinoa or rice) and sugar. Have upped the probiotics and enzymes and HCL. So we'll see how this all pans out. Seems to be working well at the moment.

Just thought it might be of interest to some of you.

LW888
All the powers-to-be say breakfast is the main meal of the day.DO NOT SKIP
Cutting out sugar and grains will have more to do with your success than waiting till late to eat breakfast. I carry a banana in my golf cart if I play to much pickleball and the old hypo gets low. Loosing over 60. Lbs. took care of most of the problem.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Veteran member

I know about the old adage about breakfast being important to have etc. However I do know the power of fasting and I also know that it helps to reset the insulin receptors and to promote the production of HGH. I have not found it a problem eating late in the morning and in fact it has created more energy for us. I have also found that many longstanding nutritional suggestions are not standing up so well to current thinking outside the box. One example is the standard pyramid food guide that for so long has been the goal for good eating. But I am not trying to convince anyone to change their habits or what works for them. I am just sharing something that resonates and works for us and is based on current research. Like I said in my original post, we'll see how it pans out for us, but for now it seems to be working well and we are feeling good.

LW888
Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Sage

Get yourselves a copy of Wheat Belly!!! You'll be glad you did!!! It "addresses" insulin resistance and a whole lot more. Wish the author had named his book something else as I really think more folks would pick it up and read it. It has to do with genetically altered foods that we eat and how that all affects our physiology when we ingest it. Skipping meals will never be the answer!!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Another vote for "Wheat Belly", and also low carb diet. Rice, like pasta and bread, raises blood sugar significantly. Those of us with insulin resistance all fight the same battle.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

I read Wheat belly and it is part of the plan too for us. I don't skip breakfast, we just eat it later. So our meals our lunch is around 2 and our dinner at 6. It is about resting the stomach not eliminating a meal. I believe fasting in some form is good for the system in general and this allows us to fast without any uncomfortable side effects. It does not go against eating breakfast, it just delays it.

LW888
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I agree, you are not skipping breakfast. Nothing says you have to eat the minute you get out of bed. I even read an article in the NY Times about breakfast not having to be eaten immediately. Some people (myself included) simply can't stand the thought of eating first thing in the morning. I just don't feel like eating until around ten.

(I'm assuming you're not going out and lifting weights at 8 o'clock in the morning on an empty stomach.)
Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

No I don't do gyms and we do drink a large glass of warm water in the morning. But hubby does go to the gym a few mornings a week and comes home for breakfast. He isn't a workout fanatic but does like the treadmill and a few leg and arm exercises. He says he is pressing more now than he did and he has more energy. And if there is a good movie on the TV he can be on the treadmill for half an hour. He likes a big breakfast when he gets back!

LW888
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Dr. Joel Furhman has the best diet for insulin resistance. I've been following his recommendations and it has helped tremendously. Wheat Belly diet is pretty close to being the same thing.

Please know that hypoglycemia can become diabetes. Take care
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Veteran member

I haven't experienced hypoglycemia for a few years. That was the impetus to get us off wheat and sugar. Also have read the books on reversing diabetes (Dr. Hyman and Dr. Fuhrman among others) with diet which all advocate the same ideas. I was motivated to try eating breakfast later because of the HGH component, although my DH is still more insulin resistant than I am. We have been investigating all these things over the years and seem to go in cycles, but the grain free sugar free approach really has had the most noticeable effect on our weight and insulin receptors. And the idea of fasting has always been attractive to us. We did a fast a few times a number of years ago involving veggie broth and tea but I couldn't go a whole day without something of substance which kind of defeated the process. It probably was also because our systems weren't ready to cleanse that way.

We have since done many types of cleanses so I think we are less toxic and the 16 hr fast is easier on us and feels really good. Sleeping well too so that is a bonus.

LW888
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

In my research, fasting or skipping meals is the worst thing to do for those with sugar inbalance problems like hypoglycemia or diabetes. We must keep our sugar levels stable, and the best way to do that is to have small meals with protein/low carb/no sugar throughout the day. Its even advisable to have a small protein snack before bedtime to carry your body thru the night. Then upon awakening eat protein within first 30 minutes. This will dramatically help fluctuations with sugar levels. Fasting and skipping breakfast is for others, but not for us with sugar sensitivities.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

OP says it's working for her and her husband. She's sharing that with us, not asking us if it's right. You can read and research, but if you find something that works for you, sometimes the best thing is to just ignore the research and go with what's helping you feel your best. I've found that nutritional guidelines change with the wind, anyway. Look at all the former food pyramid hype, for example; now that's out the window and a new one is "right."

There are many other instances of recommendations changing down through the years. Fact is, none of these can be applied across the board to every single person.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.