High-Protein diet

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Sage
Default High-Protein diet

In todays Daily Sun on page D5: Controversial high-protein diet...

Here's another author trying to make his fortune selling a high-protein diet. And, like the other authors, he goes back to what was being done in the 60s to prove his point. The problem with that is he cherry-picks examples of public behavior to prove his point. If there's any behavior that doesn't prove his point, he just ignores it, as if it didn't exist.

Having said that, I think his answer to the second question was somewhat well reasoned. He sees refined grains and sugars as the cause of disease, and later in the article he includes all forms of "junk-food."

He's not against a "carb-rich" diet or any diet that properly controls insulin levels.

Here's a statement he made that I see as his main reason for recommending this diet: "...those who are predisposed to obesity or diabetes...might be healthier on a diet that replaces carbohydrates with mostly fats."

Notice he used the word "healthier". Obviously, there can be a big difference between "healthy" and "healthier." So what he's saying is that his diet recommendation can be better under certain circumstances.

I'll tell you from my observations what those circumstances are: Many overweight and obese people "hate" fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Not everyone is the same so there may be exceptions. but, basically, that's what it's all about.

Last edited by Villages PL; 09-11-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
In todays Daily Sun on page D5: Controversial high-protein diet...

Here's another author trying to make his fortune selling a high-protein diet. And, like the other authors, he goes back to what was being done in the 60s to prove his point. The problem with that is he cherry-picks examples of public behavior to prove his point. If there's any behavior that doesn't prove his point, he just ignores it, as if it didn't exist.

Having said that, I think his answer to the second question was somewhat well reasoned. He sees refined grains and sugars as the cause of disease, and later in the article he includes all forms of "junk-food."

He's not against a "carb-rich" diet or any diet that properly controls insulin levels.

Here's a statement he made that I see as his main reason for recommending this diet: "...those who are predisposed to obesity or diabetes...might be healthier on a diet that replaces carbohydrates with mostly fats."

Notice he used the word "healthier". Obviously, there can be a big difference between "healthy" and "healthier." So what he's saying is that his diet recommendation can be better under certain circumstances.

I'll tell you from my observations what those circumstances are: Many overweight and obese people "hate" fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Not everyone is the same so there may be exceptions. but, basically, that's what it's all about.
I forgot to include my bottom line:

His diet plan, in my opinion, is far from being healthy but "might be healthier" for those described above.

I give this author credit for at least being honest and not claiming that his diet is the healthiest way to eat - it's not. And I don't begrudge any overweight or obese person wanting to give it a try, especially if they haven't been successful after trying other diets. For those who hate non-starchy vegetables and fruit etc., you do what you can to lose weight.

Last edited by Villages PL; 09-11-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Minor editing for unneeded words etc.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Veteran member

Not in TV right now, who was the author? Not sure many are suggesting to eat high protein, but there are a lot of Dr's/authors going with the LCHF (low carb high fat) Ketogenic diet right now.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What is your opinion of exercise, VPL? What is too much, what is too little and what is just about right?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam

When addressing diet please be more definitive of your target audience.
It would seem to me as we age we need adequate nutrition so the suggestion of a diet could well place some seniors in danger. More senior are harmed because of that fact. Heck if one ignores all of what experts tell them was wrong what good is it for a senior to start up at this late date...the damage, if any is done. and just how much more of life and quality of life will I get with their suggestions?

Experts advise is cyclical up and down down and up
Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
Not in TV right now, who was the author? Not sure many are suggesting to eat high protein, but there are a lot of Dr's/authors going with the LCHF (low carb high fat) Ketogenic diet right now.
His name is Gary Taubes and the article states: "....[he] concluded that a diet high in animal protein and fat was a better way to lose weight."

He had a degree in physics and was working on a master's degree when he decided on a different career and subsequently earned a master's degree in journalism.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What is your opinion of exercise, VPL? What is too much, what is too little and what is just about right?
The first guidelines I read about came from the author of the Zone books. That was a long time ago but I don't think anything has changed much since that time. If I remember correctly, he put the limit at about 45 minutes to one hour of working out at the gym. I suppose that would consist of doing a little of everything from warming up to cooling down. He said too much exercise could create stress hormones (cortisol) which would likely counteract the benefits of the workout.

I believe his books were written mostly with the assumption that many of his readers were looking to lose weight. So, if someone is already lean or thin, I don't think they need to be working out vigorously for the amount of time stated above.

Too little, in my opinion, would be if someone spends all of their day, or most of their day, sitting. Anything is better than nothing, as they say. Yard work, housework, cooking, going for a walk. Work out with some hand weights for 15 or 20 minutes at home.

What's just about right is whatever an individual is capable of without going overboard on the vigorous part. More is not always better.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
When addressing diet please be more definitive of your target audience.
My target audience is anyone who reads Talk-of-The-Villages Forums and, in particular, anyone who's interested in health issues as related to high protein diets.

Quote:
It would seem to me as we age we need adequate nutrition so the suggestion of a diet could well place some seniors in danger. More senior are harmed because of that fact.
It depends on what age you're talking about when you say, "as we age." And it depends on the health status of the individual. The author that was interviewed for the article didn't specify any certain age. In the article, and in his two books, he gives his opinion on what he thinks is the best way to lose weight.

Quote:
Heck if one ignores all of what experts tell them was wrong what good is it for a senior to start up at this late date...the damage, if any is done. and just how much more of life and quality of life will I get with their suggestions?
I don't think this article, written by a McClatchy-Tribune reporter, was written exclusively for a retirement community such as The Villages. I assume that people of all ages are reading it, even in The Villages.

Quote:
As far as I know, the author doesn't claim to be an expert. He has a degree in physics and journalism. Basically, it seems he's following the same model as set forth by doctors
such as Atkins.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Exactly Rubicon, I agree.
"Experts" are always changing their minds about what is healthy and what is recommended.
And the authors of books write them to make a profit, and try to differentiate themselves by coming up with "startling new information".
By now, most of us know the healthy way to eat and exercise.
And if we choose not to strictly adhere to a plan that we feel is healthy, who knows the impact?
After all, "experts" say we can add years to our health by having a pet or maintaining a circle of supportive relationships.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran member
Default Lchf

Gary Taubes is very well know in the Low Carb High Fat community. He is a journalist and did a lot of research on the subject. Check out this video of a lecture he did on his books.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDneyrETR2o

Also, check out the new book Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore and Eric Westman, MD. Number one on Amazon health right now.

Personally I think it is a great way to eat, but I realize it is not for everyone.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
"Experts" are always changing their minds about what is healthy and what is recommended.
And the authors of books write them to make a profit, and try to differentiate themselves by coming up with "startling new information".
And if we choose not to strictly adhere to a plan that we feel is healthy, who knows the impact?
After all, "experts" say we can add years to our health by having a pet or maintaining a circle of supportive relationships.
With all due respect I don't think (all) authors are writing these books to make a profit. I have heard over and over from very well respected Dr.'s and nutritionists, that nutrition is CONSTANTLY changing and we should be open to different ways of evolving.

I for one know for sure, for me....I cannot eat any Gluten. I think the way our food is processed and environmental factors have really taken its toll on what we Americans eat.

I do agree though with your statement "And if we choose not to strictly adhere to a plan that we feel is healthy, who knows the impact?" What the mind believes, the body will achieve for sure!
Old 09-12-2014, 12:57 PM

I totally Agree, I started eating this way 7 months ago, but not to lose weight but for health, in the last 7 months I am off all meds, also all my joint and muscle pain is gone and I have lost 22 pounds as a bonus, I feel better at 63 than I did 20 years ago, but I realize we do have to all do what works for us.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Here's my opinion: The confusion is because many people don't know how science works and especially don't know enough about the science of nutrition. And those who are "anti-health" don't really care to learn. So those people may be hopelessly lost and sometimes appear to revel in it. Learning, to them, means they might have to give up some of their addictions.

Quote:
How do you know what everyone else knows?

Quote:
Two thirds of the population who are overweight or obese know what the impact is. Those who are overweight and have diabetes know. Those who are overweight and have high blood pressure or high cholesterol know. Enough, you get the idea.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
Gary Taubes is very well know in the Low Carb High Fat community. He is a journalist and did a lot of research on the subject. Check out this video of a lecture he did on his books.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDneyrETR2o

Also, check out the new book Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore and Eric Westman, MD. Number one on Amazon health right now.

Personally I think it is a great way to eat, but I realize it is not for everyone.
Why do you think it's a great way to eat? For weight loss? How long have you been practicing this way of eating?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee1 View Post
I totally Agree, I started eating this way 7 months ago, but not to lose weight but for health, in the last 7 months I am off all meds, also all my joint and muscle pain is gone and I have lost 22 pounds as a bonus, I feel better at 63 than I did 20 years ago, but I realize we do have to all do what works for us.
For the sake of learning, can you tell us what the meds were for? I would think diabetes.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.