Hip replacement advice

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
My hip is hurting when I sleep and can't walk many miles without some pain. Now I wonder if it is time to have the hip replaced? I heard there are new ways that would be easy, quick recovery and not much pain. Is this wishful thinking?
I had a hip replacement in August, and it has given me my life back. Dr. Weisstein was amazing, but he is in Colorado. I was on a walker for 4 days, cane for about a week and a half. Pain was immediately relieved. A significant factor in recovery is whether or not you can have “anterior” vs “posterior” hip replacement. Anterior hip replacement is MUCH less invasive in terms of cutting muscle tissue that must heal, and consequently recovery is faster. I had an anterior hip replacement. If you google anterior hip replacement, you will see the differences. I, too, could not sleep, walk much, and golf was difficult. After all was said and done, I was sorry I had not done it sooner. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2019, 09:16 AM

From what you described you may have osteoarthritis in your hip. This is a degenerative disease of the cartilage and bone tissue of the bearing surfaces of the articular joints. It can be particularly painful for the weight-bearing joints (hips and knees, less commonly the ankle joint). In the hip it is usually (not always) a deep groin pain where bursitis is closer to the lateral surface of the hip. A simple x-ray will be necessary to diagnose the condition of you hip joint. As the cartilage lining the joint degrades and erodes away the bony surfaces of the joint will migrate towards each other causing a lessening of what's called the joint space until enough is worn away that you achieve a condition mentioned in a post above called bone-on-bone. This is easily seen in simple planer x-rays. Here is a link that will explain all this: Hip Osteoarthritis - OrthoInfo - AAOS

Several things to be careful of: injections - there are two types. One is called visco-supplimentation. This is an injection (actually a series of injections) of hyaluronic acid which is a very viscous natural substance that is found all cartiagenous joints. These injections are used more in the knee joint than the hip and can give some temporary relief of pain and improve mobility. There is no real down side to this other than cost. It will not cure degenerative joint disease. The other injections consists of corticosteriods. These injections contains both a analgesic for pain relief and a steroid to lessen the inflamation caused by the arthritis. These are also give temporary relief but there is a limit to the number that you can receive because there are several adverse effects to the steroids. And most surgeons will not perform a hip arthroplasty until some months after your last last sterioid injection.

A couple of other things to keep in mind. Hip surgery is very effective, and the implant products are good enough that the arthroplasty may the rest of your life. Lose weight - if you are over weight the extra load on the joint will exacerbate your pain and the degenerative process. Exercise and stretch as mentioned in previous posts. This may give some relief of pain and if you do need surgery it will lessen the recovery time. Don't smoke or drink to excess. Besides affecting you health in general smoking and drinking adversly affect the healing process and possibly the long-term outcome of the surgery.

There you have it. Go see you doctor and good luck!
Old 12-19-2019, 09:50 AM

I thought of one other thing to be careful of. These days you see a lot of advertisements for stem cell therapy (SCT) and other alternative therapies. Be very suspecious of these. While SCT may be effective for the most early stages of some degenerative diseases of the hip (the jury is still out on this). There is no evidence that is will help in intermediate or advanced osteoarthritis, and it's very expensive and possibly not covered by insurance.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:23 AM

I just had my right hip replaced by Dr. Thomas Sullivan, located at the Villages Specialty Clinic, adjacent to the Hospital, on November 18th. He is superb. I had been putting it off, and was experiencing the same type of pain you are. I wish I had had the operation two years ago. I am up and around, and have no pain from day one of being on my feet. Get it done as soon as you can.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:40 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
My hip is hurting when I sleep and can't walk many miles without some pain. Now I wonder if it is time to have the hip replaced? I heard there are new ways that would be easy, quick recovery and not much pain. Is this wishful thinking?
My wife has had both hips replaced, if your pain is in the groin area that points it toward a hip issue. Still like others have said go to a doctor, WebMD ain’t gonna cut it.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Dr. Messieh 352-243-6899 fixed my hip and I recovered after 2 weeks and ready to play golf but dr. Wanted me to wait 6 weeks....He is in his office on Wednesdays only. Highly highly recommend.
I totally agree. He did both of mine about a year apart. All went very well. I also highly recommend him. The phone number for the office is ; 352-243-6899
Old 12-19-2019, 03:56 PM

Dr. John Williams advanced orthopedic institute. Check him out
Old 12-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Default Due diligence

Get a diagnosis and don’t delay a replacement if it is recommended (as I did and now regret). Mobility is key to your health. I recommend Dr. Locker in Ocala. I am one year out and could not be more satisfied. With no other health problems, I had the surgery outpatient in his facility across from his office. In at 6 AM and waked out with minimal support at 11 AM. Anterior approach. He is a great doc. Even got down on the floor to demonstrate exercises. Life gets shorter by the day. Don’t sacrifice the things you love to do because of hip pain.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:33 PM
Default Choose wisely

Various doctors have various opinions. We had to go to 3 for my husband's knee replacement since the first 2 had different opinions.
When we moved to the Villages we found a doctor in Travares that really fit with us. He trained in Michigan, is very low key, explains everything in detail, and has a fabulous PA working with him.
My husband had his second replacement with him and had no pain and great mobility from day one.
He doesn't rush for surgery if there are other alternatives but does not jump up with those flashy alternatives that just rack up bills.
He uses Waterman hospital and they are wonderful.
His name is Dr. Jon Radnothy 352-343-2171 at 2051 Mayo Drive.
Easy to get to and well worth the trip.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:28 AM
Default anterior approach method

Totally agree with most posts. Get the X-ray, will immediately determine need. Don't let anyone talk you into the side leg cut going into the muscle. Anterior recovery is a piece of cake especially if you are in good physical condition. Physical Therapy is easy especially if you are in good physical condition.
My back was hurting because my body was trying to offset the hip pain, after surgery, zero back pain. Had the other done 3 months later, both were bone on bone with calcium growths. Very little post-surgery pain medication.
Playing Pickleball with no consequences.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:34 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win1894 View Post
I thought of one other thing to be careful of. These days you see a lot of advertisements for stem cell therapy (SCT) and other alternative therapies. Be very suspecious of these. While SCT may be effective for the most early stages of some degenerative diseases of the hip (the jury is still out on this). There is no evidence that is will help in intermediate or advanced osteoarthritis, and it's very expensive and possibly not covered by insurance.
I had a call and email about this. No way. Heading to the doctor this afternoon. Thank you for all the advice. I am still chicken, buttttt
Old 12-21-2019, 07:35 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Had x-rays yesterday. NO HIP PROBLEM! A little arthritis. Now I can get back to worrying about all my other pains. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas.
Closed Thread

Tags
hip, ways, easy, quick, recovery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.