Hospice Care

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2022, 04:06 PM
Default Hospice Care

Took our mom to Dr. Appt today. Doctor suggested we start Hospice as she thinks that she is physically in severe case of Alzheimer’s. She has degressed quite a bit in the last few months. Any suggestions on hospice care? Things we need to think about before we talk with hospice agency’s? Questions to ask, etc.? She is already in an Assistive Living Facility and they will work with hospice so that is good news. This is a lot to take in. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carribeanmum View Post
Took our mom to Dr. Appt today. Doctor suggested we start Hospice as she thinks that she is physically in severe case of Alzheimer’s. She has degressed quite a bit in the last few months. Any suggestions on hospice care? Things we need to think about before we talk with hospice agency’s? Questions to ask, etc.? She is already in an Assistive Living Facility and they will work with hospice so that is good news. This is a lot to take in. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Hospice, Palliative Care, & End of Life Services | VITAS Healthcare

I have heard good things about Vitas.

What to Expect From Inpatient Care | VITAS Healthcare
Old 02-17-2022, 04:58 PM

This is sad , ugghh hate to see anyone go thru this. wish you well.

in god we trust!
Old 02-17-2022, 08:17 PM

My Dad was at Freedom Point memory care assisted living for several years before dying. (He was paying maybe $6000/month for the care -- he too had dementia.) As I recall, the facility pushed for him entering hospice care. In my opinion, they Iike hospice involved because the hospice nurses spend/spent a lot of time doing things which in my opinion Dad was already paying for, thus relieving them of their duties! Hospice bathed him, fed him, etc...before hospice, the facility had that responsibility!

Once he was on hospice, they would only prescribe meds to make the patient FEEL better. They would not prescribe a medication to treat/cure an illness.

The cost of hospice -- for a patient with medicare -- zero dollars as I recall. But medicare (again as best I can recall) paid hospice around $5000 a month!

As a taxpayer, I was always annoyed/ conflicted -- Hospice paid $5000/month to perform duties dad was already paying $6000/month for Freedom Point to perform! Of course, we could have refused hospice, but then, I worried he wouldn't be receiving the best/most possible care......

I feel your pain and wish you and the family the best in her final journey!

On a lighter note, we would visit dad often and as his dementia worsened, he was much happier. At the end of a hallway where he was, he could look out and see a large water retention pond. One day when we visited, he greeted us with a smile, "Hi! I didn't know you were on the same cruise.....". ������

Last edited by n8xwb; 03-10-2022 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Grammar
Closed Thread

Tags
hospice, suggestions, care, suggested, things

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.