Hospital Question

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2022, 05:50 PM
Question Hospital Question

I have a question please if anyone knows the answer.
If I/husband have a serious medical issue (stroke/shock/heart attack) and an ambulance is called, I was told that we would not be able to request being taken to another hospital but MUST be brought to The Villages Hospital.
Does anyone know if that is correct?
Thank You.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmspla1952 View Post
If I/husband have a serious medical issue (stroke/shock/heart attack) and an ambulance is called, I was told that we would not be able to request being taken to another hospital but MUST be brought to The Villages Hospital.
Thank You.
Did you happen to ask whom ever stated that, why that is?
They would know better than anyone I'd imagine, if they are making that statement.
It could be a region/zone/area thing...where local ambulance service will only transport within certain mile range or is contracted to only provide transport to a given location(s). In this case, nearest being TV Hospitol...in other words, you cannot ask them transport your husband 2900 miles to Portland OR General, because your favorite doctor is there. (as an example).
Old 12-15-2022, 06:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Thank You.
How Florida counties handle ambulances | News | The Villages Daily Sun | thevillagesdailysun.com

https://www.districtgov.org/images/p...2009-05-08.pdf

https://www.**************.com/2022/...-reports-have/

It's not a simple question. Depends on the circumstances and a hospital's current load, capacity and capabilities.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

From St Cat’s driver strongly suggested Leesburg General, due to MI. But they wanted to go to villages hospital, so that’s where patient was taken
Old 12-15-2022, 06:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
From St Cat’s driver strongly suggested Leesburg General, due to MI. But they wanted to go to villages hospital, so that’s where patient was taken
Leesburg has been the destination along 466a. No idea if mandatory but it’s been first rate care
Old 12-15-2022, 06:24 PM

From my short experience with a friend of mine in TV, the ambulance took him to where he could get the fastest treatment. They have constant contact with the nearby hospital emergency rooms. If one is overloaded, you wouldn't want to go there. After all, it is an emergency.
Once they took him to Ocala, another they took him to Leesburg. But this was about eight years ago.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Leesburg has been the destination along 466a. No idea if mandatory but it’s been first rate care
It depends if Leesburg is full, then Ocala is in the mix. But everyone has a choice where they want to go. Suggestions can be made, but no bus driver can make it mandatory where you go. It’s your choice, your body, your insurance.

Unless you need Level 1-2, then you aren’t capable of talking to make a choice
Old 12-15-2022, 08:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

A friend of mine from Stonecrest was transported by ambulance to Advent health in Ocala by his request for passing blood.
No questions ask.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
From my short experience with a friend of mine in TV, the ambulance took him to where he could get the fastest treatment.
From my experience with the Villages Hospital, it would be way quicker to drive someone to Boston or NYC if you were looking for faster (and actually get competent) treatment.

Last edited by tophcfa; 12-15-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
From my experience with the Villages Hospital, it would be way quicker to drive someone to Boston or NYC if you were looking for faster (and actually get competent) treatment.
From my experience this past August do not go to the villages hospital . I don’t understand why this hospital is still open?
Old 12-16-2022, 06:43 AM
Default #1

I have been told this is #1 in the area.

Quote:
Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	1BE924CB-316C-4E10-B1B9-7DBDBE75C07F.jpg
Views:	4196
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	96144  
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 12-16-2022, 07:09 AM
Default Ambulance

[QUOTE=kmspla1952;2166827]I have a question please if anyone knows the answer.
Thank You.

As of Oct 1 VPSD is now responsible for ambulance transport. All other updates / info prior to Oct are obsolete. According to the fire chief, unless you are critical (stroke, heart attack, etc) you can request transport to a neighboring hospital, i.e. Ocala. If critical you will be taken to nearest hospital.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:19 AM

My experience and those of friends and relatives have had excellent care at the Villages and Leesburg hospitals. Problem is short staffed and the ER seems to have many patients without insurance, or so it appears from talking with some staff that doesn’t violate HIPPA.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:06 AM

Not correct. You must be firm polite and strong.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:07 AM

Yes, In the case of a potential life threatening illness, Parametics by law are required to transport a patient to the nearest facility, they can be over ruled by dispatch. When you become stable enough, you may request a transfer to a facility of your choice. I know back in my home state of Mass. there're were several hospitals that we transported to. Different hospitals were rated better for different incidents. Only some were trauma centers, only a couple were stroke centers. etc. In some cases if the ER was full, the dispatch might divert you to another facility. When a transport starts, the Parametic calls into dispatch with all the vital info on the patient. Dispatch is in the ER of certain hospitals, manned by nurses, maybe even a doctor. Dispatch makes the final call.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, question, correct, request, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.