Hospital Question

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2022, 08:09 AM
Default Choice of hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmspla1952 View Post
I have a question please if anyone knows the answer.
If I/husband have a serious medical issue (stroke/shock/heart attack) and an ambulance is called, I was told that we would not be able to request being taken to another hospital but MUST be brought to The Villages Hospital.
Does anyone know if that is correct?
Thank You.
You may choose to go to the Villages, Leesburg, or either of the Ocala hospitals. My wife was even taken to Shands in Gainesville.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:11 AM
Default Ambulance

Quote:
If I/husband have a serious medical issue (stroke/shock/heart attack) and an ambulance is called, I was told that we would not be able to request being taken to another hospital but MUST be brought to The Villages Hospital.
Thank You.
It happened to me and if you are a emergency you will go to the closest hospital always that's what the ambulance driver told me no discussion
Old 12-16-2022, 08:25 AM

Your LOCAL ambulance company depends on where you are when you have the problem. I live within sight of The Villages hospital and the last time I went to an ER and I drove to Waterman because I had a choice. My friend need to go to an ER and I drove to Waterman because I has a choice. If you are in Sumter County and The Villages the VPSD will pick you up. Lake, Marion, Sumter outside of the villages each have a different ambulance service. The Villages Hospital is getting better according to CMS ratings. They went from one star to two stars on the CMS hospital rating site. An F to a D.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Thank You.
Not true. You can choose whichever hospital. However, if it’s a serious heart issue, etc, that person would need to go to a level one trauma unit. The ambulance drivers would tell you which hospitals are
Old 12-16-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Thank You.
You can tell the diver where you want to go. However, a serious heart issue will mean they would have to be taken to a trauma unit.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Thank You.
I had a very unpleasant experience at The Villages ER in May 2022. The nurse (not an RN) who first took my vitals was seriously abusive towards me. I reported it to the hospital’s administrator and he seemed indifferent. Secondly, it took them a very long time to discharge me. They said “we’re working on the paperwork.” I was there waiting through an entire shift. Saw new personnel arrive at the nurses desk after 8 hours. Avoid this place.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Thank You.
This is true. My husband had a stroke almost 4 years ago. I didn't want my husband to go to The Villages Hospital but the ambulance drivers insisted. He ended up being airlifted to Shands in Gainsville. Since then Shands has bought The Villages Hospital. I don't know how equipped it is for serious trauma/injury now that it is owned by Shands.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

LUFwUs, you answered it as honest as you can get, there shouldn’t be any arguments!
Old 12-16-2022, 10:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
From my experience with the Villages Hospital, it would be way quicker to drive someone to Boston or NYC if you were looking for faster (and actually get competent) treatment.
GOOD ONE ! And so true
Old 12-16-2022, 10:38 AM
Default Ask to be taken to Leesberg

Quote:
Thank You.
My friend was recently taken by ambulance to Leesberg Hospital. She requested to be taken there and she was. She was having heart issues.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Go to Advent Waterman in Taveres if you live south. If further north, go to Ocala General.

Whatever you do DO NOT GO TO THE VILLAGES REGIONAL HOSPITAL. Unfortunately, Leesburg Hospital isn’t much better.
Old 12-16-2022, 02:13 PM
Default OMG - Hospital Question......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGirl View Post
Not true. You can choose whichever hospital. However, if it’s a serious heart issue, etc, that person would need to go to a level one trauma unit. The ambulance drivers would tell you which hospitals are
I cannot believe this response..... this is the reason, if it's a medical question, ask someone in the medical profession. Cardiac = Trauma Unit. Not unless you were shot or stabbed in the heart or it was ripped out of your chest in an auto accident........
And I will add...... Leesburg has a great cardiac reputation, some of the best.... Ocala Regional has a new Comprehensive Stroke Unit..... State of the Art.
Please find someone in the profession.... maybe your doctor ??? to direct these questions to.
As far as the ambulance transport, I would contact the company directly and get an answer.....
Old 12-16-2022, 02:35 PM

Your ambulance company won't have the answer. Like I said earlier, if it's a life threatning incident, they will go to the closest facility. ER/dispatch makes the final call based on many variables.
Old 12-16-2022, 02:50 PM

Insist on Leesburg or Clemont

Quote:
Thank You.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:12 PM

On Nov 27th a friend called me to state that due to a unknown medical condition that was discovered during a routine doctor’s appointment, she was sent by ambulance to Leesburg. She is the sole and capable caregiver of her severely disabled husband. I live in the Marion County section of The Villages but possessed the only key to the house. It was late afternoon and my friend had been sitting in a recliner since 9 am.
When I entered the home, found him (a very large man ) sitting in the recliner that would not go upright with out a manual assist from a person shoving from the back. He was unclothed from the waist down to facilitate the use of a couple urinals. He was pasty looking, large amount of bilateral edema and short of breath even while speaking. I had not seen him in a couple years.
I phoned their doctor who instructed me to call 911 for an ambulance and send him to Leesburg. She would call ER to inform to expect him. Since he was stable at this time I called the non emergency sheriff’s office and requested no fire truck-but ambulance and that per doctor’s order he was to be transported to Leesburg.

When the ambulance arrived, the personnel questioned my friend if the edema and shortness of breath were of recent onset. He said no and they refused transportation. I said that I had to leave. They told me that someone else was probably dying because they were at his house. I replied that he had a cell phone and if he was still in that physical condition trapped in a broken recliner with just snacks and two urinals, I would call 911 again. They said they would come and leave again. When I said I would call again, they threatened to call the sheriff and have me arrested. I then told them I would request the ordering doctor to call and it they could charge her.
They said if they took him, he would be turned around -sent home- He would have to pay every penny for not only the ambulance but the entire hospital bill. His condition was deteriorating and he said he was getting very dizzy and begged to go to the hospital. Their reasoning was that I used the non emergency number and said doctor advised an ambulance and he should have used a paid service. They spent at least a half hour arguing.
After placing him on the stretcher, I assumed they would preserve his dignity and cover him at least with a paper sheet. Nope a nearby hand towel was used for his manly areas. He was breathing like a blow fish out of the water- no 02 offered or head of stretcher placed in upright position.
Friends walked by him later in the ER on their way to visit his wife and he looked so bad they didn’t recognize him. He was clad in hand towel only.

The end of the story is after the doctors examined him and told the wife he was a “real mess”, he was admitted for five days- his wife for four days.
He needed help. Trapped in a broken chair, unable to move for hours in poor condition. I am glad I was there to see that he finally had assistance.
Not much more to say about your great new ambulance service.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, question, correct, request, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.