i didn't have part B

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Default i didn't have part B

I'm 65 yrs. old and recently had a visit to the emergency room for possible heart attack, after all the tests wanted and unwanted and multiple days at the hospital. I found out that I only had part A of Medicare, and I did not have a heart attack. what I would like to know if any one can tell me with certainty, is what will be paid by Medicare part A, I also have b\c b\s . What will I be responsible for in payments
Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Here are 2 links from the Medicare website that might help to answer your questions-

What Part B covers | Medicare.gov

What Part A covers | Medicare.gov
Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 PM

Thank you abby10, its a start. Wish I knew how much this is going to cost me.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ricky View Post
I'm 65 yrs. old and recently had a visit to the emergency room for possible heart attack, after all the tests wanted and unwanted and multiple days at the hospital. I found out that I only had part A of Medicare, and I did not have a heart attack. what I would like to know if any one can tell me with certainty, is what will be paid by Medicare part A, I also have b\c b\s . What will I be responsible for in payments

Call BCBS. It sounds like you may have a Medicare supplement plan. If so, they can estimate, at least on a % basis, what you likely owe.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 PM

You will need to contact BC/BS. Sound like that is your secondary instead of a Part B plan. It can vary depending on the coverage of the plan. In Dad's case there is seldom anything he needs to pay but again it varies.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Location: Polo Ridge TV via New Hampshire, Isles of Shoals, Maryland and Massachusetts

You can also meet with a SHINE volunteer right here in TV - they're trained to assist with Medicare and can definitely answer the basic "what's covered by A&B" questions. Their schedule is in the Rec news each Thursday. Just met the local coordinator last night and she knows her stuff.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:02 AM

Reference striveforhealth post, I'm new to this site and the villages . What is the " rec news" and what is a " shine volunteer"?
Old 04-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ricky View Post
Unless you are working and the insurance is from your employer you should have part B and would be paying a monthly premium.
Call Shine as suggested.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Veteran member

I didn't pick up Part B when I was first eligible. I was on SS disability and after 2 years you automatically get Part A. Part B is not automatic and you must opt to pick it up. I didn't until 2 years later. I regret that because I am being penalized with a higher premium and that lasts for life.

My advice is to pick up Part B as soon as you are eligible.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran member
Default medicare A&b

A medicare supplement will only pay if medicare has approved the charge, which if you do not have part B will not be approved.

It is a big mistake to not have B. Some hospital charges may not be part A? You will probably have a fair amount to pay.

If you sign up for part B there is a waiting period before it will be effective.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.