Identicle Twins: Longevity studies offer new evidence

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Sage
Default Identicle Twins: Longevity studies offer new evidence

I have said in previous posts that genes don't do very much except carry a blueprint for cell reproduction. They used to think that genes were the "brains" of the cell, directing day-to-day activities within the cell. As it turns out, it is the cell membraine that regulates the daily functions within, and communicates with other cells. The genes, which reside in every cell, don't even know when it's time to reproduce the cell. It's the cell membraine that decides when it's time for an old cell to die and a new one to be born in its place. The cell membraine has to send a signal to the genes in order for cell death and reproduction (apoptosis) to occur.

Given this limited role that genes play, not being involved with the health and longevity of each cell, why would we expect our genes to have anything to do with our health and longevity?

New studies/ New evidence

Recent studies show that identicle twins don't share the same longevity. They share the same genes but die more than 10 years apart, on average. If identicle twins don't share the same longevity, why would anyone think they would share the same longevity as their parents or grandparents? In many cases it may look as though longevity is genetic because children and parents share similar lifestyles, including coping skills.

When I looked at my granparents, both sides of the family, the ages of death (for their offspring) were scattered randomly.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I have said in previous posts that genes don't do very much except carry a blueprint for cell reproduction. They used to think that genes were the "brains" of the cell, directing day-to-day activities within the cell. As it turns out, it is the cell membraine that regulates the daily functions within, and communicates with other cells. The genes, which reside in every cell, don't even know when it's time to reproduce the cell. It's the cell membraine that decides when it's time for an old cell to die and a new one to be born in its place. The cell membraine has to send a signal to the genes in order for cell death and reproduction (apoptosis) to occur.

Given this limited role that genes play, not being involved with the health and longevity of each cell, why would we expect our genes to have anything to do with our health and longevity?

New studies/ New evidence

Recent studies show that identicle twins don't share the same longevity. They share the same genes but die more than 10 years apart, on average. If identicle twins don't share the same longevity, why would anyone think they would share the same longevity as their parents or grandparents? In many cases it may look as though longevity is genetic because children and parents share similar lifestyles, including coping skills.

When I looked at my granparents, both sides of the family, the ages of death (for their offspring) were scattered randomly.
I believe the studies have been done on mice. Not certain if the same will hold true for humans....more research will either confirm or refute I will assume. Have you read of this being confirmed on humans, VPL?

Also, a couple of year ago, information was compiled by analyzing 150 spots on the genome and with an accuracy rate of about 80%, it is said that researchers could predict who could live to a ripe old age. Haven't check on any research done since then and this stuff could already be outdated, but the information was available in the journal, SCIENCE.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
I believe the studies have been done on mice. Not certain if the same will hold true for humans....more research will either confirm or refute I will assume. Have you read of this being confirmed on humans, VPL?
Yes, the studies I referred to were done on humans. More on that later.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,512 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Yes, the studies I referred to were done on humans. More on that later.
Please quote your source.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Please quote your source.
The first part of my post is information I learned from "Biology of Belief" by Bruce H. Lipton Ph.D.

The new information about twins and longevity is from a new book that I just started reading (copyright 2009): "Genie in Your Genes" by Dawson Church, Ph.D.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Sage

I think this is how most of us see longevity as connected to heredity:

ScienceDaily (July 2, 2010) — While environment and family history are factors in healthy aging, genetic variants play a critical and complex role in conferring exceptional longevity, according to a new study by a team of researchers from the Boston University Schools of Public Health and Medicine and the Boston Medical Center.

In a study released July 1 online by the journal Science, the research team identified a group of genetic variants that can predict exceptional longevity in humans with 77 percent accuracy -- a breakthrough in understanding the role of genes in determining human lifespan.

Based upon the hypothesis that exceptionally old individuals are carriers of multiple genetic variants that influence their remarkable survival, the team conducted a genome-wide association study of centenarians. Centenarians are a model of healthy aging, as the onset of disability in these individuals is generally delayed until they are well into their mid-nineties.

Researchers led by Paola Sebastiani, PhD, a professor of biostatistics at the BU School of Public Health and Thomas Perls, MD, MPH, associate professor of medicine at the BU School of Medicine and a geriatrician at Boston Medical Center, built a unique genetic model that includes 150 genetic variants, known as single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). They found that these 150 variants could be used to predict if a person survived to very old ages (late 90s and older) with a high rate of accuracy.

In addition, the team's analysis identified 19 genetic clusters or "genetic signatures" of exceptional longevity that characterized 90 percent of the centenarians studied. The different signatures correlated with differences in the prevalence and age-of-onset of diseases such as dementia and hypertension, and may help identify key subgroups of healthy aging, the authors said.

Notably, the team found that 45 percent of the oldest centenarians -- those 110 years and older -- had a genetic signature with the highest proportion of longevity-associated genetic variants....."

Genetic signatures of human exceptional longevity discovered
Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I think this is how most of us see longevity as connected to heredity:

ScienceDaily (July 2, 2010) — While environment and family history are factors in healthy aging, genetic variants play a critical and complex role in conferring exceptional longevity, according to a new study by a team of researchers from the Boston University Schools of Public Health and Medicine and the Boston Medical Center.

In a study released July 1 online by the journal Science, the research team identified a group of genetic variants that can predict exceptional longevity in humans with 77 percent accuracy -- a breakthrough in understanding the role of genes in determining human lifespan.

Based upon the hypothesis that exceptionally old individuals are carriers of multiple genetic variants that influence their remarkable survival, the team conducted a genome-wide association study of centenarians. Centenarians are a model of healthy aging, as the onset of disability in these individuals is generally delayed until they are well into their mid-nineties.

Researchers led by Paola Sebastiani, PhD, a professor of biostatistics at the BU School of Public Health and Thomas Perls, MD, MPH, associate professor of medicine at the BU School of Medicine and a geriatrician at Boston Medical Center, built a unique genetic model that includes 150 genetic variants, known as single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). They found that these 150 variants could be used to predict if a person survived to very old ages (late 90s and older) with a high rate of accuracy.

In addition, the team's analysis identified 19 genetic clusters or "genetic signatures" of exceptional longevity that characterized 90 percent of the centenarians studied. The different signatures correlated with differences in the prevalence and age-of-onset of diseases such as dementia and hypertension, and may help identify key subgroups of healthy aging, the authors said.

Notably, the team found that 45 percent of the oldest centenarians -- those 110 years and older -- had a genetic signature with the highest proportion of longevity-associated genetic variants....."

Genetic signatures of human exceptional longevity discovered
The important thing to remember is that the above study was a "genome-wide association study of centenarians". Genes represent a potential for an outcome, not a certainty. Genes react and respond to the environment within the body and the environment outside the body. If there are genes associated with cancer, for example, they don't represent a certainty that a person will get cancer. Those genes have to be acted upon by the environment. The same applies to almost any disease where there is an association with certain genes. The same rule applies to longevity. Certain genes may be associated with longevity but it's only a potential for an outcome, not a certainty.

That's what twin studies illustrate. Let's say one twin lives to age 85 and the other lives to 100. They both have the same genes so the fact that one lived to age 100 indicates a potential. The other twin wasn't guaranteed the same outcome even though the genes were the same.

And the same rule applies to health. An example was given of twins at age 92. One enjoyed excellent health while the other was in poor health. The one in poor health was nearly blind, suffered incontenence, a broken hip and dememtia. Even though the genes were the same, the healthy twin indicates only a potential for health, not a certainty. If it was a certainty, both twins would have enjoyed the same good health.

If it's not your genes acting alone that determines health and longevity, what's left? It's lifestyle/environment. Genes are being turned on and off all the time, depending on the environment we live in and/or the environment we create for ourselves on a day-to-day basis.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
The first part of my post is information I learned from "Biology of Belief" by Bruce H. Lipton Ph.D.

The new information about twins and longevity is from a new book that I just started reading (copyright 2009): "Genie in Your Genes" by Dawson Church, Ph.D.
Oh. I kinda lean toward the New England Journal of Medicine or Lancet. Or Science or ...folks who have a track record for being mighty careful with words and research.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
The important thing to remember is that the above study was a "genome-wide association study of centenarians". Genes represent a potential for an outcome, not a certainty. Genes react and respond to the environment within the body and the environment outside the body. If there are genes associated with cancer, for example, they don't represent a certainty that a person will get cancer. Those genes have to be acted upon by the environment. The same applies to almost any disease where there is an association with certain genes. The same rule applies to longevity. Certain genes may be associated with longevity but it's only a potential for an outcome, not a certainty.

That's what twin studies illustrate. Let's say one twin lives to age 85 and the other lives to 100. They both have the same genes so the fact that one lived to age 100 indicates a potential. The other twin wasn't guaranteed the same outcome even though the genes were the same.

And the same rule applies to health. An example was given of twins at age 92. One enjoyed excellent health while the other was in poor health. The one in poor health was nearly blind, suffered incontenence, a broken hip and dememtia. Even though the genes were the same, the healthy twin indicates only a potential for health, not a certainty. If it was a certainty, both twins would have enjoyed the same good health.

If it's not your genes acting alone that determines health and longevity, what's left? It's lifestyle/environment. Genes are being turned on and off all the time, depending on the environment we live in and/or the environment we create for ourselves on a day-to-day basis.
AND breaking one's hip at that age causes you to not move around and allows your cardiovascular system to not function well etc.etc. A broken hip in the 90's is frequently fatal.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:

"exceptionally old individuals are carriers of multiple genetic variants that influence their remarkable survival"

VARIANTS is the operative word, even with identical twins!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

I think anyone that tries to look at longevity or anything else from the perspective that one factor controls an outcome has a major flaw in the logic they are using. In the case of identical twins just because genes are shared doesn't mean all of the other factors that influence longevity were the same. i.e. enviromental (toxic exposures, stresses and etc.), lifestyle and many additional factors one would have to account for when comparing "apples to apples"
Old 09-19-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Hang On ...there will be another study soon , it will show something different I'm sure !
Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Stand by new evidence will refute this study shortly. Mankind has been seeking the fountain of youth from the days of Cain and Abel. Personally I am not waiting and waching but following the theory of moderation in all things.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Interesting. I guess we just have to stick around until the answer is found.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
"exceptionally old individuals are carriers of multiple genetic variants that influence their remarkable survival"

VARIANTS is the operative word, even with identical twins!
Are you suggesting that a set of identical twins, such as the 92 year olds I used as an example, don't have the same variants? The "New England Centenarian Study" you linked to didn't say that. The twins I mentioned were identical and yet had different health outcomes and will likely have different longevity outcomes.

In your "New England Centenarian Study" link, read the fourth paragraph from the bottom. It states: "....its limitations confirm that environmental factors (e.g., lifestyle) also contribute in important ways to the ability of humans to survive to very old ages."

They also referred to the study as "preliminary". I think, if anything, it's likely that they underestimated the role of environment/lifestyle. Your statement above says that genetic variants "influence" survival. That's different than saying they predict survival.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.