The Importance of Keeping Our Immune System Strong

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2020, 09:43 PM
Default The Importance of Keeping Our Immune System Strong

A great article came out in the AARP magazine titled “Who Gets Sick and Why”. The article online is titled “Coronavirus Immunity: How does Your Age Play A Factor”.

In any case, it’s a great read. A strong immune system has the ability to at least lesson the severity of a new invader if not fight it off.

Coronavirus Immunity: How Age, Health Factor into Risk
Old 05-12-2020, 10:49 PM

Remember making mud pies?
Old 05-13-2020, 04:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I often used to get off flights and within hours/days would have a streaming cold.
I asked a flight attendant on a flight where every other passenger seemed to be sniffing and coughing, how she coped with all these people with colds.
She said she took Echinacea before her flights, and she very seldom ever got a cold.
Wife and I did same from that time, and have never had another cold getting off any flight.
When grandkids came around with sniffles the same, take an Echinacea, and 99 times out of a 100 we didn't catch it, where as before taking them, for me at least, it was a guaranteed cold.
One point. They are not recommended to be taken continuously for more than 14 days.
We take a few days before a flight, or on exposure to cold/flu symptoms, and for a few days after.
I trully believe they boost the immune system, which in these times, is not a bad thing.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darield View Post
A great article came out in the AARP magazine titled “Who Gets Sick and Why”. The article online is titled “Coronavirus Immunity: How does Your Age Play A Factor”.

In any case, it’s a great read. A strong immune system has the ability to at least lesson the severity of a new invader if not fight it off.

It appears that the author of this piece is a free lance journalist. I am not a medical person and neither is he.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It appears that the author of this piece is a free lance journalist. I am not a medical person and neither is he.

........but it is not without merit, unlike many articles with an agenda, or downright quackery!
Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

our own immune system is the best protection that we have against anything....so sad that many of the cancer treatments still being used today wreak such havoc on our immune system vs. boosting it

The article did offer some advice on how to nurture one's immune system
Old 05-13-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I often used to get off flights and within hours/days would have a streaming cold.
I asked a flight attendant on a flight where every other passenger seemed to be sniffing and coughing, how she coped with all these people with colds.
She said she took Echinacea before her flights, and she very seldom ever got a cold.
Wife and I did same from that time, and have never had another cold getting off any flight.
When grandkids came around with sniffles the same, take an Echinacea, and 99 times out of a 100 we didn't catch it, where as before taking them, for me at least, it was a guaranteed cold.
One point. They are not recommended to be taken continuously for more than 14 days.
We take a few days before a flight, or on exposure to cold/flu symptoms, and for a few days after.
I trully believe they boost the immune system, which in these times, is not a bad thing.
I have had the same experience. There are a number of other supplements that help build immunity so I am alternating. The mushroom blends are reported to have some very good virus defense and then of course garlic. The allicin in garlic cooks out very easily so a supplement is the best solution. Elderberry syrup is also high on the list.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have read a number of articles by doctors that support the importance of keeping our immune system healthy. This article lists some of the most common ways to do that.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:45 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Good common sense.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
That's great! I'm glad it worked for you. I also think "expectation" had something to do with it. I'm not a scientist or MD, but I have an interest in the mind/body connection and educate myself to it as much as I can. It's well documented that our mind has a huge influence on our health. I just wish more MDs would talk about this. And for those of us who have an interest in "history," there was a great healer we all know about who said it was belief that did the actual healing, not the healer.
The Placebo Effect: What Is It?
Old 05-13-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Remember hand sanitizing is a back up to hand washing and not a substitute for hand washing.

Alcohol kills the good and the bad germs on your hands if used too often instead of washing.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:47 AM

According to research, Vitamin D3 is essential.
Vitamin D and the Immune System
Old 05-14-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darield View Post

Did you also read the article that talked about your immune will be stronger if you think of the virus as a challenge you can beat instead of something to be terrified of?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
That's great! I'm glad it worked for you. I also think "expectation" had something to do with it. I'm not a scientist or MD, but I have an interest in the mind/body connection and educate myself to it as much as I can. It's well documented that our mind has a huge influence on our health. I just wish more MDs would talk about this. And for those of us who have an interest in "history," there was a great healer we all know about who said it was belief that did the actual healing, not the healer.
The Placebo Effect: What Is It?
Just thinking the same thing! I know folks who swear by approach A and someone else says it does not do a thing but that Approach B works for them. Maybe not total prevention or cure for all but it has made a difference for many people in many ways.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:40 AM

I am a medical person, and I do the same with zinc. Take two or three a day before I fly, or if I feel a cold coming on. Works well for my husband and I both.
Closed Thread

Tags
strong, titled, article, great, system

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.