It's almost the New Year - do you have a weight loss plan?

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2021, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm vacillating between making a serious effort to get healthy and just giving up and enjoying all the foods that I love.

And what exactly is eating healthy? Some experts say that fat and protein are the enemy. Others say to eat all the fat and protein that you want and cut out or limit carbs. Some say cut calories others say that calories don't matter.

This post may start and argument here with several people weighing on their "scientifically proven" data. All sides will claim show that science backs up with they believe.

Even doctors seem to have no idea. I was given a low fat diet to help lower cholesterol. When my cholesterol went up the cardiologist asked if I had been eating a lot of candy.

I cut out carbs completely for a long time. I lost a lot of weight and my cholesterol went way down. I told my doctor what I did and he said that's very dangerous.

The problem with almost all diets or eating regimens is that they all work and are all very difficult to stay with.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

My secret to dieting is that I chose to eat the low calorie foods that I love and home prepared meals where I can control what I put into a meal. I dislike to eat out in general because of all the ingredients they put in the food that I don’t like.

This is easy for me to follow and also delicious so no sacrifice at all. Your stomach gets used to the volume and is happy with it day after day. You need nothing else. To me being happy is essential component of any diet.

And step on the scale every day, just like brushing teeth. A daily habit. When hubby was on a weight loss diet he travelled with a scale. Packed toothbrush and scale.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Goal was to lose 15lbs in 2021. It's 3PM on the First. I already cheated.

I'll start again before winter's over and we get some snow here in TV>
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	download (9).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	87548  
Old 01-01-2021, 02:57 PM

I used to weigh about 225, when we went home let July after not setting foot on a scale for the previous 7 months we were here, I was up to 245, decided I'd try the Nutrisystem to lose that 20 lbs and maybe a few more. Without really putting much effort into it I'm down to 193 (weighed 205 when we got married in the early 80s and never thought I'd see the other side of 200 again)

Cutting out the sugar (no more soda) and smaller portions have helped immensely.

I've since cut down to the 3 Day Nutrisystem plan and would recommend it to anyone looking to shed some weight.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:27 PM

I facilitate this group. I think that there were some misconceptions made from the viewing of the video. This is good to know so that we can either make changes in it or give additional information.

This is a group in which there is no advice given. It consists of the participants learning to pay attention to their thoughts, write them down and evaluate how they are affecting their choices. They learn to use the tools given to them to determine their thoughts and beliefs that lead to unplanned eating. During the program we refer to Judith Beck a cognitive therapist, who suggests thoughts you might think that get you in trouble as they justify unplanned eating.

The difference in our program and what she teaches is that we help you determine your own problem thoughts and beliefs and eventually come up with counters if you decide you want to change. The choice to change is up to the participant. Also, the diet plans listed in the video are merely suggestions such as keto, weight watchers, etc. it is our recommendation that people select a plan for weight loss while they are in the program so that they can lose some weight during the process and identify the thoughts and hidden beliefs that lead to weight gain. We do not recommend a certain diet or program. We do recommend people make a plan of their choice. Many people who do the group actually do it again as our focus is to help people not get into yo-yo dieting which not only is unhealthy but actually makes it harder to lose weight each time you regain the weight. If you do not want to lose weight and learn techniques for keeping it off, then this is not for you.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob85 View Post
I facilitate this group. I think that there were some misconceptions made from the viewing of the video. This is good to know so that we can either make changes in it or give additional information.

This is a group in which there is no advice given. It consists of the participants learning to pay attention to their thoughts, write them down and evaluate how they are affecting their choices. They learn to use the tools given to them to determine their thoughts and beliefs that lead to unplanned eating. During the program we refer to Judith Beck a cognitive therapist, who suggests thoughts you might think that get you in trouble as they justify unplanned eating.

The difference in our program and what she teaches is that we help you determine your own problem thoughts and beliefs and eventually come up with counters if you decide you want to change. The choice to change is up to the participant. Also, the diet plans listed in the video are merely suggestions such as keto, weight watchers, etc. it is our recommendation that people select a plan for weight loss while they are in the program so that they can lose some weight during the process and identify the thoughts and hidden beliefs that lead to weight gain. We do not recommend a certain diet or program. We do recommend people make a plan of their choice. Many people who do the group actually do it again as our focus is to help people not get into yo-yo dieting which not only is unhealthy but actually makes it harder to lose weight each time you regain the weight. If you do not want to lose weight and learn techniques for keeping it off, then this is not for you.
Heh - definitely not for me then. I know exactly what my thoughts and feelings are when I choose to eat unplanned food: "That looks good, I'm in the mood for that, and so I'll have it."

No, I don't want to change those thoughts and beliefs, and no, they're not hidden. They're right out there for anyone to see. I also don't yo-yo diet, and don't diet at all.

God made chocolate taste good because she wanted people to enjoy it. God also made bacon taste good, which is why humans aren't supposed to be vegans. I don't eat to live, I don't live to eat. I eat because humans are supposed to eat. I eat what I enjoy because humans also have tastes and preferences and opinions, and I like exercising mine.

Speaking of exercise, I do plan on getting back into exercising this year. I exercised last year, mostly because of my job. But I don't have my job anymore, so I have to replace all that physical work with some other type of physical work.

I've gained 3 pounds since November, so it's time to step it back up.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:48 AM

It sounds like you have a plan that works for you. Many people lose weight only to regain it at a later date. Since you are aware of your possible thoughts and beliefs that could sabotage you and have managed to keep your weight off, you probably don’t need our group. Good luck to your continued success in the future.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,081 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm vacillating between making a serious effort to get healthy and just giving up and enjoying all the foods that I love.

And what exactly is eating healthy? Some experts say that fat and protein are the enemy. Others say to eat all the fat and protein that you want and cut out or limit carbs. Some say cut calories others say that calories don't matter.

This post may start and argument here with several people weighing on their "scientifically proven" data. All sides will claim show that science backs up with they believe.

Even doctors seem to have no idea. I was given a low fat diet to help lower cholesterol. When my cholesterol went up the cardiologist asked if I had been eating a lot of candy.

I cut out carbs completely for a long time. I lost a lot of weight and my cholesterol went way down. I told my doctor what I did and he said that's very dangerous.

The problem with almost all diets or eating regimens is that they all work and are all very difficult to stay with.
I know it’s just my opinion for what it’s worth. IMHO both low carb and low fat is the way to go. More like the Mediterranean diet than the Atkins diet. I won’t eat anything with the two poisons in it, white flour and white sugar. Fresh fruit and veggies, broiled fish and skinless chicken, grains, steel cut oatmeal, nuts, salads with olive oil and red wine vinegar, boiled eggs and toss the yolk, and my one cheat is a cold ale for dessert. For this to work, it can’t be a temporary diet, it has to be a lifestyle, supplemented by whatever exercise our old bodies allow us to do. For me that’s swimming about 7 miles per week and taking lots of walks with the dog.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I know it’s just my opinion for what it’s worth. IMHO both low carb and low fat is the way to go. More like the Mediterranean diet than the Atkins diet. I won’t eat anything with the two poisons in it, white flour and white sugar. Fresh fruit and veggies, broiled fish and skinless chicken, grains, steel cut oatmeal, nuts, salads with olive oil and red wine vinegar, boiled eggs and toss the yolk, and my one cheat is a cold ale for dessert. For this to work, it can’t be a temporary diet, it has to be a lifestyle, supplemented by whatever exercise our old bodies allow us to do. For me that’s swimming about 7 miles per week and taking lots of walks with the dog.
You contradict yourself.

Fresh fruits, grains, steel cut oatmeal, are carbs. If you want "low" carb, you have to cut out the grains and the oatmeal, and stick to just one piece of fruit every day. Nuts and olive oils are fat, and the types of fish you need to sustain a healthy nutritional intake will also be fatty.

Low-carb Low-fat is nutritionally a really horrible diet that isn't sustainable and will ultimately make you sick if you even try, unless you pump yourself up with vitamin pills.

A Mediterranean diet is not low-carb-low-fat. It's just a healthy and delicious choice of foods for most people.

It's basically LESS crap - not NO crap. And an emphasis on whole foods and minimally processed foods, with less red meat, pork, and poultry, and more fish and nuts as the primary protein sources.

You can still have a steak, or a nice piece of smoked ham now and then. But those meals would not be built into a weekly menu and would instead be an occasional treat.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,081 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You contradict yourself.

Fresh fruits, grains, steel cut oatmeal, are carbs. If you want "low" carb, you have to cut out the grains and the oatmeal, and stick to just one piece of fruit every day. Nuts and olive oils are fat, and the types of fish you need to sustain a healthy nutritional intake will also be fatty.

Low-carb Low-fat is nutritionally a really horrible diet that isn't sustainable and will ultimately make you sick if you even try, unless you pump yourself up with vitamin pills.

A Mediterranean diet is not low-carb-low-fat. It's just a healthy and delicious choice of foods for most people.

It's basically LESS crap - not NO crap. And an emphasis on whole foods and minimally processed foods, with less red meat, pork, and poultry, and more fish and nuts as the primary protein sources.

You can still have a steak, or a nice piece of smoked ham now and then. But those meals would not be built into a weekly menu and would instead be an occasional treat.
I didn't say no carbs and fat, I said low carbs and fat. There are good and bad sources of each, I focus on the good. Carbs in the form of fiber like steel cut oatmeal do not covert into stored body fat like baked goods with white flour and sugar, and fats from sources like extra virgin olive oil are good, non-saturated fats. I have sustained very well on this type of diet for almost 20 years, so it works for me. Just had my blood work, total cholesterol is 148, good cholesterol (HDL) is 66, and triglycerides is 49. Blood Pressure is 114/71, oxygen saturation is 99 and resting heart rate is 62. I think I will stick with that diet and swimming lots of laps.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

yup got the plan...

got a membership to the gym too, just in case I ever need it.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob85 View Post

So you're selling something. Shouldn't this either be in the classified section or shouldn't you be paying for an advertisement?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
No, I have been the same weight since college. Just eat right, exercise moderately.
It’s not that easy for everyone
Old 01-02-2021, 09:11 PM
Sage
Default Gained weight loss back

I have been on weight watchers twice now since 2010. It works!! I’ve gained about 12 pounds and started WW again today. You eat regular food and exercise and it works amazingly well. The first few weeks I feel hungry because I’m not over eating, but after that I love it! Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, meat, healthy starches and even desserts! I highly recommend it. I’m doing it on line.......you have to be honest with yourself.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Get divorced loose 135 lbs
Closed Thread

Tags
approach, january, group, weight, register

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.