Joint Replacement--Be Informed

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Joint Replacement--Be Informed

Hubby went to orthopedic surgeon for knee replacement consult. Doc gave me info on The Villages Hospital and joint replacement procedure.

Apparently the hospital has entered into an excluseive agreement with a joint replacement company to be the sole provider of implants. This desicion was made strictly on a cost-saving measure and no review of any outcome data concerning the quality or safety of these devices was conducted.

Studies in Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand were looked and and it was found that the device used by The Villages Hospital has a significant history of higher than average failure rates which have resulted in the necessity for revision surgery.

Needless to say, hubby is having surgery done at Leesburg.

Just thought those considering, or needing the surgery should know.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 PM

What is the name of the implant maker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy D View Post
Hubby went to orthopedic surgeon for knee replacement consult. Doc gave me info on The Villages Hospital and joint replacement procedure.

Apparently the hospital has entered into an excluseive agreement with a joint replacement company to be the sole provider of implants. This desicion was made strictly on a cost-saving measure and no review of any outcome data concerning the quality or safety of these devices was conducted.

Studies in Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand were looked and and it was found that the device used by The Villages Hospital has a significant history of higher than average failure rates which have resulted in the necessity for revision surgery.

Needless to say, hubby is having surgery done at Leesburg.

Just thought those considering, or needing the surgery should know.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

Exactech
Village of Hemmingway
Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Sage

Hi Peggy,

Your post is a good reminder that wise to ask questions and research your options where surgery is concerned. I wish your hubby a speedy recovery and complete success!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Peg..I'm scheduled for a complete knee replacement in September. I do not know the name of the company who makes the joint but my doctor uses computer assistance to ensure a perfect fit. It is an additional $500..not covered by insurance. It is also optional but I feel a perfect fit is more important than the cash outlay.
I recently had rotator cuff surgery done by the same surgeon. His office is in Belleview and he does his surgeries in Munroe Hosp in Ocala. I've been in physical therapy for almost 8 weeks now and my therapists rave over my surgeon's successful surgeries. I wish your husband luck.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

The Villages Hspt and Leesburg are part of the same system.Is this doctor saying that if he performs the surgery in Leesburg he is free to chose to use a different implant company? I had a knee replacement done in Leesburg last year and the surgeon used Exactech. I have had more problems post surgery than I had when I had the other knee done 5 years ago using a different implant, a Stryker triathalon. Since my surgery which has not yet required a revision but I am still in pain 18 months later, I have met 5 other people who had the surgery in 2009 by my same surgeon and who have had to have revisions. There were some variations as to the reason, but it all seems to be around the type and amount of cement that was used during the surgery and the overall fit of the implant.
Ask around. There are plenty of people with the same knee scars who are willing to discuss where they had their surgery and who did it.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Veteran member

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. Hubby needs some xray/test on Tuesday to determine if it will be full or partial replacement.

Mac9-- The info named The Villages Hospital only that uses just one
joint replacement device. Thats not saying Leesburg doesn't use this Exactech too, but has other choices available. Maybe Leesburg no longer uses this device since last year. I guess there is truth to this info since you are still having pain. Sorry to hear that. Hubby has talked to many people who have had knee replacement (boy, there are alot of you guys down here!) We feel very good about this doc. He came highly recommended right here on TOTV!!! Hope things turn out well for you.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Hospitals and group purchasing organizations (GPOs) have been trying for over twenty-five years to have a sole source orthopedic implant supplier for economic reasons. Huge corporations such as Zimmer, Stryker (Howmedica) and Biomet have pitched sole source proposals. Here is the problem: the orhopedic surgeons have a comfort level and a success rate with certain companies. One company may have the best hip, another the best knee, and yet another the best revision ststem. The surgeons also have certain allegiances with the manufacturers based on long term reationships and other factors. The result is that the surgeons rule and multiple systems are used.

The fact that The Villages Hospital has a sole source agreement with Exactech, a minor player in the industry, is incredible. Perhaps their proximity (Gainesville) played in the decision. Who knows? But what this says is that the orthopedic surgeons that OK'd this are weak and to be avoided. Exactech's annual sales don't approach Zimmer's R and D budget. I guarantee that the better orthopods will find a way to have their implants brought in on a case by case basis or they will do their cases at another hospital.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Founder

This is a fantastic thread!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
This is a fantastic thread!
Only if the info provided is accurate.

As with any medical procedure: take all you hear as info only and do your own research with your physician, insurance provider etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post

As with any medical procedure: take all you hear as info only and do your own research with your physician, insurance provider etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post

I doubt this surgeon would publish a pamplet, give it to thier patients and risk a lawsuit if there wasn't some truth to it.

As Mac9 stated, he (she) has this paticular knee replacement device and things aren't so good.

I agree with you Russ, having worked in the health field in a clinical setting for 22 years, patients should do their homework and be well informed before any procedure.
Village of Hemmingway

Last edited by Peggy D; 08-12-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy D View Post
I doubt this surgeon would publish a pamplet, give it to thier patients and risk a lawsuit if there wasn't some truth to it.

As Mac9 stated, he (she) has this paticular knee replacement device and things aren't so good.

I agree with you Russ, having worked in the health field in a clinical setting for 22 years, patients should do their homework and be well informed before any procedure.
You're right - but perhaps it is this surgeon that has the limitations? Also, as you know, one patient's results does not a whole study make!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Default Hip Revision Info

Does anyone have experience with hip "revisions"? Any suggestions for questions to ask the doctor would be appreciated! I know they have to use compatible materials as were used with the original hip replacement. I have to undergo this surgery within the next few months--ugh!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 AM

I go to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville for any surgery that I have needed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.