Joy, Bliss, Happiness people, you got it wrong

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
Maybe what is being defined as carefree is really not carefree and a happy disposition but more of a person who is simply not really a "thoughtful" person... Someone who goes through life without thinking things through , or evading things, does not really equate to being a happy person. A happy person is a full person, filled with both sorrow and joy, but arrives at the optimistic edge rather than the burdened edge. What the description above appears to be person who is not carefree but evading reality on some level. That may be the flaw in the argument. Not sure if I have fully explained my point. Hopefully someone understands and can expound.
Well, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Perhaps it might help if I explain how these people were labeled as happy. When the study started in 1922 the study subjects were about 11 and 12 years old. There were several hundred of them (1,500). They interviewed each one and asked questions, as I remember. They also interviewed the child's teachers and parents. This is how they arrived at the conclusion of whether or not the child was a happy child or something else. I doubt it was based on whether or not the child was a "full person" who could arrive at an "optimistic edge". I think you're making it too complicated.

Then every so many years they would reinterview the person to see how their life was progressing.

Last edited by Villages PL; 09-08-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Veteran member

I don't get the correlation between happy and disregard for health. Something is missing in the definition. Happiness to me would have to be defined by self, not by others. The old saying about laughing on the outside and crying on the inside is closer to the truth than we may realize. I think that a happy person would be one who sees life as a glass half full and could find the silver lining in all situations. I don't think that happy-go-lightly is necessarily an accurate indication of a happy heart.

I do think that a truly happy person is content with his/her lot in life and enjoys other people and their successes. I think people can be very happy and still stay conscious around their food choices. They can still choose not to drink or smoke. In fact that can make them happy if they think they are looking after themselves.

LW888
Old 09-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Veteran member

VPL Given that explanation, they are saying that "happy" children may become etc etc. Well how useful is that? Do "they" think that all happy children would grow into happy adults? My belief is that all children come in happy and depending on their life experience they make choices about how to handle life. But to conclude that because of the stats, happy children develop into carefree adults who disregard their health, makes no sense to me as an argument for suggesting that going for joy, bliss, and happiness is a bad choice for longevity.

Gotta come out with something more convincing than that for me.

LW888
Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
According to "The Longevity Project", a study that started in 1922 and kept going until recently, optimism and/or happiness is not the secret to good health and longevity. Not that happiness isn't important, but happy cheerful children were more likely to live shorter lives than those who were more serious or "sober".
32 posts on this topic and you know what? I think Villages PL is winking and kidding around with us. I honestly don't think that anyone truly believes that joy, happiness and bliss are bad things.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
32 posts on this topic and you know what? I think Villages PL is winking and kidding around with us. I honestly don't think that anyone truly believes that joy, happiness and bliss are bad things.
I agree with you Bare. Villages PL is kidding around with us.
In The Art of Happiness The Dalai Lama he makes a distinction between happiness and pleasure. He says that one can pursue pleasure, but it won't won't necessarily result in happiness. He does believe that the very motion of our lives is toward happiness.

(The book was written by Howard Cutler. It is a series of interviews of The Dalai Lama.)
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Gold member

I don't think VPL is kidding around at all. VPL's whole life seems consumed with health issues, good and bad. VPL also loves to pose controversal statements, ok, maybe that is VPL's sense of humor.
By the way, a study started in 1922 is very out of date even with the updates. We know so much more now about how the brain works, etc....reminds me of VPL's Okinawa study references which are also out dated now.
I'm going out now to play pickleball which brings me joy , bliss, sweat and then the right to go out to Subway to eat ! Cheers.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
TOTV Moderator

Reminder to discuss the topic and not each other.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Senior Citizen, I'm not trying to cause you any unhappiness, but it was actually (my fave) Henry David Thoreau who wrote: "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them."

Judy the happy singer
Actually, I (happily)found this and thought it was interesting enough to pust. Sort of like song lyrics we sing incorrectly in our heads for years, but that's another thread.

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.

Misquotation. The first half of this quotation is a misquotation from Thoreau's Walden:

“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation. From the desperate city you go into the desperate country, and have to console yourself with the bravery of minks and muskrats. A stereotyped but unconscious despair is concealed even under what are called the games and amusements of mankind. There is no play in them, for this comes after work. But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things.”

Misattribution. Second half of this quotation is misattributed to Thoreau and may be a misquotation or misremembering of Oliver Wendell Holmes' (1809-1894) "The Voiceless":

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
Actually, I (happily)found this and thought it was interesting enough to pust. Sort of like song lyrics we sing incorrectly in our heads for years, but that's another thread.

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.

Misquotation. The first half of this quotation is a misquotation from Thoreau's Walden:

“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation. From the desperate city you go into the desperate country, and have to console yourself with the bravery of minks and muskrats. A stereotyped but unconscious despair is concealed even under what are called the games and amusements of mankind. There is no play in them, for this comes after work. But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things.”

Misattribution. Second half of this quotation is misattributed to Thoreau and may be a misquotation or misremembering of Oliver Wendell Holmes' (1809-1894) "The Voiceless":

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them
Oops! My mistake! Sorry.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 09-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If I had a choice to choose healthy or unhealthy, healthy is better.

In caring for myself in the way I cared for my children, seeing that I get exercise and eat a variety of foods with a treat now and then, I find that I am happy, I will embrace it and live in it and drink all of the joy in my cup.

If, illness is sent to me, and my time on this earth is ending, I will try to be happy, I will embrace the time I have, I will surround myself with friends and good times, and drink all of the joy in my cup.

No one, not any single one of us is getting out of here alive.

Some of us have kept a firm faith in the hereafter and some have not.

If there is a good and loving God, he would want us to enjoy the life he has given. And if there is not a good and loving God, then this is the time that we are given.

Thinking about our physical health too much can rob us of our mental health.

Those of us that are too fixated on a subject are sure we are NOT fixated on a subject. Others around us can spot obsession in us when we cannot see it in ourselves.

Again I say, NONE of us are getting out of here alive.

Today is the day, to dance and swim, to golf and laugh, to walk and to chat, to linger over coffee, to have a glass of wine, to breathe in the sunshine and enjoy the sunset. Right now is the time to touch, to hug, to share and to laugh and to forgive.

Tomorrow may not come.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

In caring for myself in the way I cared for my children, seeing that I get exercise and eat a variety of foods with a treat now and then, I find that I am happy, I will embrace it and live in it and drink all of the joy in my cup.

If, illness is sent to me, and my time on this earth is ending, I will try to be happy, I will embrace the time I have, I will surround myself with friends and good times, and drink all of the joy in my cup.

If there is a good and loving God, he would want us to enjoy the life he has given. And if there is not a good and loving God, then this is the time that we are given.

Those of us that are too fixated on a subject are sure we are NOT fixated on a subject. Others around us can spot obsession in us when we cannot see it in ourselves.

Today is the day, to dance and swim, to golf and laugh, to walk and to chat, to linger over coffee, to have a glass of wine, to breathe in the sunshine and enjoy the sunset. Right now is the time to touch, to hug, to share and to laugh and to forgive.

Tomorrow may not come.
In a nutshell, Gracie has "said it all". Again, words of wisdom.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
I don't think VPL is kidding around at all. VPL's whole life seems consumed with health issues, good and bad. VPL also loves to pose controversal statements, ok, maybe that is VPL's sense of humor.
By the way, a study started in 1922 is very out of date even with the updates. We know so much more now about how the brain works, etc....reminds me of VPL's Okinawa study references which are also out dated now.
I'm going out now to play pickleball which brings me joy , bliss, sweat and then the right to go out to Subway to eat ! Cheers.
I agree with Mudder.

Can't help not to love Subway. Yesterday we had a "double turkey with spinach leaves, lettuce and avocado" foot longer with vinagrette.
Turkey has tryptophan which is good for one's disposition and calmness.
Maybe that's why we are happy.

After eating half the foot long sandwich, I proceded to use my charge card to order some more books on my kindle while hubby and I were watching our recorded version of the convention......we watched both of them. What would life be without a television and charge cards?

Nowadays one can't even buy air tickets without a charge card.
Television useage can be selective; our favorites are national geographic and history channel etc. We do not choose to live like monks and nuns.

Again, good post.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Sage

Gracie: I will be over later to share that glass of wine with you..lol. Alright everyone..time for a group hug and then let's go out and spread the sunshine.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

Gracie, you said it well. Have a bless'd day and lots of them! Happiness is a Choice and TV is filled with great folks making that choice. Live is good.

LW888
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Default Well Said!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Tomorrow may not come.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.