Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Found this to be interesting.

Pure food obsession is latest eating disorder | Society | The Observer
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
In reading GG's link, I found this link I thought was also very interesting.

Elderly struck by 'epidemic' of body image and eating disorders | Society | The Observer
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by quirky3
omg. I am doomed to live forever.

Quote:
YOU ARE NOT! But I wish you would. You are a sweetie!
In the spirit of "The Longevity Project", let's look at the personality trait that was displayed here. In doing so, we might ask what the implication is for health and longevity. (This is to be taken in the spirit of helpfulness.)

There were big bold letters (shouting), "YOU ARE NOT!", directed at quirky. In other words, quirky, don't think for yourself. You need a strong leader who will tell you what to think and when to think it. That puts you in a subservient position. How does that feel?

I don't see it as being healthy for either one of you. GG, you say you have to be yourself because everyone else is taken. Is that who you are in the above command? A controling person? A type "A" personality on their way to developing a heart condition?

And while you're being who you are, what does that make quirky? Subservient! Maybe that's why the sociable personality doesn't live as long; they have to give up being who they are to satisfy the needs of others.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum member
Default Well, gee....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
In the spirit of "The Longevity Project", let's look at the personality trait that was displayed here. In doing so, we might ask what the implication is for health and longevity. (This is to be taken in the spirit of helpfulness.)

There were big bold letters (shouting), "YOU ARE NOT!", directed at quirky. In other words, quirky, don't think for yourself. You need a strong leader who will tell you what to think and when to think it. That puts you in a subservient position. How does that feel?

I don't see it as being healthy for either one of you. GG, you say you have to be yourself because everyone else is taken. Is that who you are in the above command? A controling person? A type "A" personality on their way to developing a heart condition?

And while you're being who you are, what does that make quirky? Maybe that's why the sociable personality doesn't live as long, they have to give up being who the are to satify the needs of others.
Well, gee.....I didn't take it that way at all. To me it was a sweet and kind remark. It was in its way a compliment. When people disagree with me, I don't see it as trying to control me, since that would be nigh unto impossible anyway. I think you were trying to be helpful VillagesPL, so I do appreciate the intent. If you knew Gracie better, you probably would not have interpreted it that way.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Well, gee.....I didn't take it that way at all. To me it was a sweet and kind remark. It was in its way a compliment. When people disagree with me, I don't see it as trying to control me, since that would be nigh unto impossible anyway. I think you were trying to be helpful VillagesPL, so I do appreciate the intent. If you knew Gracie better, you probably would not have interpreted it that way.
Well, I saw the big bold letters as sending you a strong message not to start seeing things my way. And, judging by your following posts, you did appear to try make up for it by changing your tone (or perception) to one that would be more to her liking.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

I find it useful to remind myself that when a person speaks, it says more about the person than the content. Neurolinguistic Programming tells us that 80% of our conclusions are based on our history and the filters we carry based on our life experience. Given that, it is difficult to really know what someone "means" when they say something, unless we question them and clarify through that process.

We all are apparently speaking English, but what we mean is usually differently interpreted by each person. That is what makes discussion, especially just written discussion, so difficult, although interesting.

BTW I did not interpret GG's comment as being a shouted one, but rather an emphatic one that demonstrated her strong belief in the cycle of life/death. It also gave her a chance to be wishful despite the belief.

Just another perspective.

LW888
Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It was meant as a loving comment to a very nice girl. Pure and simple.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
I find it useful to remind myself that when a person speaks, it says more about the person than the content. Neurolinguistic Programming tells us that 80% of our conclusions are based on our history and the filters we carry based on our life experience. Given that, it is difficult to really know what someone "means" when they say something, unless we question them and clarify through that process.

We all are apparently speaking English, but what we mean is usually differently interpreted by each person. That is what makes discussion, especially just written discussion, so difficult, although interesting.

BTW I did not interpret GG's comment as being a shouted one, but rather an emphatic one that demonstrated her strong belief in the cycle of life/death. It also gave her a chance to be wishful despite the belief.

Just another perspective.

LW888
So, lightworker, if I say you are full of bull, that might just mean that I think you ate beef for lunch?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
It was meant as a loving comment to a very nice girl. Pure and simple.
Well, I could see that you tried to balance it by using the term "sweetie" at the end. That cancels out or balances the strong command?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

And while you're being who you are, what does that make quirky? Subservient! Maybe that's why the sociable personality doesn't live as long; they have to give up being who they are to satisfy the needs of others.
PL--lighten up! It is impossible to interpret the tone and mood of a comment that is in print! Gracie meant no harm--she was, in fact, complimenting Quirky! I think you are speaking out of turn when you assign terms like Controlling and subservient !!

I hardly think you can diagnose a type A personality on their way to a heart attack from print, as well.
Anger and stress are also major factors in heart conditions. Something to think about.

I have met Gracie. She is anything but a type A personality! She is kind, relaxed, and generous!
This thread has ceased to be blissful or enjoyable, so I will cease reading it, but I respect your right to carry-on.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Sage

Quote:

Frankly, I didn't see anything in the "spirit" of the Longevity Project. I saw it as a poor attempt to pretend it connected to the Longevity Project when in reality it was bashing two people for differing points of view. With generosity of spirit, the two people who were the focus of these attacks did not respond in kind... exhibiting graciousness ..not weakness.

And I am quite sure I am not the only person who recognizes the reality of those attacks and the substantially inadequate justification.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyc6 View Post
PL--lighten up! It is impossible to interpret the tone and mood of a comment that is in print! Gracie meant no harm--she was, in fact, complimenting Quirky! I think you are speaking out of turn when you assign terms like Controlling and subservient !!

I hardly think you can diagnose a type A personality on their way to a heart attack from print, as well.
Anger and stress are also major factors in heart conditions. Something to think about.

I have met Gracie. She is anything but a type A personality! She is kind, relaxed, and generous!
This thread has ceased to be blissful or enjoyable, so I will cease reading it, but I respect your right to carry-on.
Well, thank you for allowing me to carry-on. You said kind, relaxed, and generous. I have no doubt that you are being truthful in saying that. But there's no reason to control someone who's like minded. Those of us who disagree (are not like minded) get a much different treatment.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 AM
TOTV Moderator

This thread has become hopelessly off topic and addressing numerous individuals. Thread will be closed.

Feel free start a new thread with fresh, non personal material.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.