Just be prepared for the final wave as vaccine distributions are happening

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2021, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Germany intends to fight the CV on a NATIONWIDE basis - not an INDIVIDUAL basis. Is America right or is Germany correct?
Some folks are ALWAYS comparing others to what we do. Some folks are not happy, regardless of the circumstances.
Germany is a very small country with an entirely different political and economic structure. Most folks realize this. Some folks do not need a gov nanny and relish in the Freedom and Liberty that this country allows.
Was it Reagan that said "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help. "
Old 01-25-2021, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
A very popular line dancing class has been hit hard recently.
The class was probably indoors. And it illustrates that when INDIVIDUALS are left to their own devices and decisions, that they will act selfishly and without regard for society and the greater good. CV is a national and worldwide problem that can only be controlled by national and worldwide LEADERSHIP. We can no longer rely on individual RESPONSIBILITY when situations like this prove that it does not exist in every INDIVIDUAL. Government decides what the speed limits should be and that we should wear seat belts. A CV Pandemic is even more important than seat belts. We live in a time that requires cooperation and empathy and not individual stubbornness and shortsightness.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
States with the most restrictions seem to have the highest numbers.
People do not drop like flies from this disease.
Just because you “know” someone does not mean you are safe.
Most people who get the virus said they wore their masks most or all of the time.
The statistics cannot be relied upon, everybody has an axe to grind.
We are being played.
Disagree with it all.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Easy for some to say when they have a permanent source of income. Not so easy for those that work and live from paycheck to paycheck, to stay home when they get evicted for not paying their bills.
I explained how businesses could evolve and still stay in business. Most people can work from home. Science can change society to adapt to the new CV environment. ALL life is about adaptation!
Old 01-25-2021, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Standing shoulder to shoulder with people you do not know is rather foolish right now not to mention life threatening.

We do go to restaurants and do takeout regularly but still socially distance ourselves with folks we do not know
Thats right. It is foolish but the world is packed with half wits. Why care? Patronize the businesses that follow the distancing/mask rules, drive by the ones that dont and live your life safely. As the nitwits die off, more houses for sale for us![/QUOTE]
================================================== ============================
I said this months ago on this forum and it still holds true today, if not even more.........

Those folks who refuse to social distance when out and about in bars and the squares and other crowd gathering places will just perpetuate this virus. They will continue to give this virus new hosts to breed upon and screw up everything we know in life to be normal. Here are just a few examples of what has not returned to normal and will not as long as there are those who refuse to follow CDC guidelines and offer this virus more hosts to do its vile and deadly deed.......

1) Face to face learning for kids in schools. There is some but not enough.
2) Filling sports stadium seats to full capacity
3) Allowing full capacity in places of worship
4) Dining in restaurants and not have to worry about being too close to another table
5) Going to the theater. Broadway shows comes to mind.
6) Cruising
7) Will the Olympics be cancelled???
8) Air travel, train travel, bus travel without having fear.
9) Hospitals not turning away patients because they are at full capacity
10) Doctors and EMTs not having to decide who shall live or die by deciding who receives care and who does not.

I really don't care if you don't protect me by not wearing a mask. What I want those who refuse to follow CDC guidelines to do is to protect life as we knew it. It is everyone's responsibility to do everything they can to mitigate the spread of the virus. That means stay clear of others, do not stand shoulder to shoulder in a bar setting or anywhere there is a crowd. Wear a mask when you can not adequately keep your distance from others. Show some respect for those of us who want to see our world return to normal.These are not only my requests but requests from the experts who are trying to get this pandemic under control.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
Could it be that these folks have already recovered from the virus? My BIL doesn't wear one since he and his wife tested negative after getting sick with COVID. I'm sure people secretly make judgments.
Immunity after having the virus is not known at this point. It is not safe to think you are immune after having the virus. Sad but this is what I have heard by epidemiologists on TV, Dr, Fauci included.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
When Italy was crushed by Covid, we were told that in two weeks we would be experiencing the same thing. When Florida reopened after our short lockdown, we were told the second wave would be horrific. When the squares reopened we were told that The Villages would be overrun with the virus. And when a rally was held in The Villages we heard it would be a “super spreader” event. Sounds like a cult leader constantly proclaiming the end of the world. Here’s a very simple question. Why have states like Pennsylvania, who have had strict lockdowns and mask mandates since the onset of the virus still faired worse than Florida?
Florida has a large population of seniors, especially here in The Villages. We are more fearful of the virus and follow CDC guidelines more strictly. There are those few who adamantly go against all guidelines but thankfully, there are more folks here in Florida that do abide by the guidelines. Who knows what happened in Penn. Maybe people gathered in private? Those younger folks feel invisible so who who knows what they did to spread the virus. I've heard of Covid parties where they TRY to get the virus. Crazy. Huh?
Old 01-25-2021, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Thats right. It is foolish but the world is packed with half wits. Why care? Patronize the businesses that follow the distancing/mask rules, drive by the ones that dont and live your life safely. As the nitwits die off, more houses for sale for us!
================================================== ============================
I said this months ago on this forum and it still holds true today, if not even more.........

Those folks who refuse to social distance when out and about in bars and the squares and other crowd gathering places will just perpetuate this virus. They will continue to give this virus new hosts to breed upon and screw up everything we know in life to be normal. Here are just a few examples of what has not returned to normal and will not as long as there are those who refuse to follow CDC guidelines and offer this virus more hosts to do its vile and deadly deed.......

1) Face to face learning for kids in schools. There is some but not enough.
2) Filling sports stadium seats to full capacity
3) Allowing full capacity in places of worship
4) Dining in restaurants and not have to worry about being too close to another table
5) Going to the theater. Broadway shows comes to mind.
6) Cruising
7) Will the Olympics be cancelled???
8) Air travel, train travel, bus travel without having fear.
9) Hospitals not turning away patients because they are at full capacity
10) Doctors and EMTs not having to decide who shall live or die by deciding who receives care and who does not.

I really don't care if you don't protect me by not wearing a mask. What I want those who refuse to follow CDC guidelines to do is to protect life as we knew it. It is everyone's responsibility to do everything they can to mitigate the spread of the virus. That means stay clear of others, do not stand shoulder to shoulder in a bar setting or anywhere there is a crowd. Wear a mask when you can not adequately keep your distance from others. Show some respect for those of us who want to see our world return to normal.These are not only my requests but requests from the experts who are trying to get this pandemic under control.[/QUOTE]
I agree, show some respect and empathy!
Old 01-25-2021, 05:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Immunity after having the virus is not known at this point. It is not safe to think you are immune after having the virus. Sad but this is what I have heard by epidemiologists on TV, Dr, Fauci included.
The vaccine does NOT give a person immunity from CV. Rather, it gives a person a 95% chance of not being hospitalized and having a significantly bad experience there. It makes you immune against death from CV and also a large hospital bill.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The vaccine does NOT give a person immunity from CV. Rather, it gives a person a 95% chance of not being hospitalized and having a significantly bad experience there. It makes you immune against death from CV and also a large hospital bill.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

yep>
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	141452601_10222260990468128_6667291021056618124_n.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	87870  
Old 01-26-2021, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I do not confront people just avoid those that we think are playing safely.

The problem with your reasoning is the more people who do not take precautions the more cases we get and the longer this goes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
When Italy was crushed by Covid, we were told that in two weeks we would be experiencing the same thing. When Florida reopened after our short lockdown, we were told the second wave would be horrific. When the squares reopened we were told that The Villages would be overrun with the virus. And when a rally was held in The Villages we heard it would be a “super spreader” event. Sounds like a cult leader constantly proclaiming the end of the world. Here’s a very simple question. Why have states like Pennsylvania, who have had strict lockdowns and mask mandates since the onset of the virus still faired worse than Florida?
??? There was a significant rise in cases after the Trump rally, reported in the V News. And Florida is one of the leading states as far as number of Covid infections. The Villages is up to 3400 cases so far, when months ago people didn't think it would even go over a couple of hundred. And that is with a lot of the snowbirds still up north waiting for vaccines there. I suspect one reason we aren't doing worse in The Villages is that most people are wearing masks to stores, etc, and we are able to do a lot of things outside due to the good weather. By the way, Pennsylvania has had 812,000 cases vs. Florida 1,658,000. In other words, Florida has had over twice the cases that Pennsylvania has had.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

i'm just curious as to how long many of you think this needs to go on? next week, next month, permanently?? am very interested, not being snide
Old 01-26-2021, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Just an interesting FYI...

“Florida Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis is suggesting the Olympics could happen in Florida in 2021.

Patronis wrote a letter to the International Olympic Committee encouraging them to consider relocating the 2021 Olympics from Tokyo, Japan to the United States of America, and more specifically to Florida.

According to Patronis' office, recent media reports have stated that leaders in Japan have “privately” concluded that they are too concerned about the pandemic for the 2021 Olympics to take place.”

Florida CFO wants 2021 Olympics in the Sunshine State if Japan cancels

Florida official offers to host Olympics if Tokyo backs out | The Japan Times

Florida's financial chief: Move Summer Olympics to state - South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Old 01-26-2021, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
??? There was a significant rise in cases after the Trump rally, reported in the V News. And Florida is one of the leading states as far as number of Covid infections. The Villages is up to 3400 cases so far, when months ago people didn't think it would even go over a couple of hundred. And that is with a lot of the snowbirds still up north waiting for vaccines there. I suspect one reason we aren't doing worse in The Villages is that most people are wearing masks to stores, etc, and we are able to do a lot of things outside due to the good weather. By the way, Pennsylvania has had 812,000 cases vs. Florida 1,658,000. In other words, Florida has had over twice the cases that Pennsylvania has had.
And Florida has twice the population that Pennsylvania has so the rate of infections is about the same. That doesn't say much for FL doing better than PA but it certainly isn't doing worse. On the other hand, FL is seeing this infection rate while implementing few (zero?) lockdowns and restrictions. Can the same be said for PA?

What else is the same? Number of deaths. PA has about 21,000 deaths and FL has about 25,000 deaths. So half the population, half the infections, but the same number of deaths in PA as in FL. Not sure PA was a good state to choose for a comparison.

Florida's rate of cases is just a little above median rate according to the WaPo statistics. Again, with minimal restrictions. Considering the number of people coming into the state and possibly bringing the virus with them it is surprising the rate of infection isn't higher. FL is either getting very lucky or they're doing something right.

As far as the increase in cases after the rallies, I'll have to go back and check but the V News reported increases throughout that time period, even before the rallies here. The number of cases was increasing nationwide and FL was not immune to that but the rate of increase in FL was much less than the rate of increase in other places. FL must have been doing something right, even without restrictions and mandates.

There was an editorial in one of the NY papers just recently where the author reported coming to FL and being surprised at the mask compliance. Even without mandates they saw that many in FL were wearing masks when it made sense and often keeping a distance. We're not perfect, we have our share of anti-maskers and people who are terrible at judging how far six feet is, but maybe we're not doing all that bad.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 01-26-2021 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Accuracy
Closed Thread

Tags
final, healthcare, overwhelm, finally, rate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.