Knee Replacement Limitations

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2023, 06:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Knee Replacement Limitations

Considering replacements and am asking what physical limitations I can expect? Will I be able to jog, play softball, pickle ball, etc? Anyone doing these things? Thanks
Old 08-13-2023, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Considering replacements and am asking what physical limitations I can expect? Will I be able to jog, play softball, pickle ball, etc? Anyone doing these things? Thanks
I had my left knee totally replaced about five years ago.

To be honest for the first two weeks after the surgery I thought the cure was far worse than the disease, but once that initial period passed, things progressed pretty quickly. It is VITALLY important to follow up conscientiously on physical therapy both before and after the surgery (before so that the muscles are strengthened, after so that you get your range of motion back). Takes awhile for the swelling to go down--I still had some residual swelling six months after the surgery--but after that I could do pretty much anything that I could do before the surgery.

A caution though...gradually work back up to your desired activity level. I played a lot of tennis before my surgery, but didn't play at all for the first six months after, and then gradually increased the pace so that by the time I was 1.5 years past the surgery I was playing at about the same pace as before. I had heard horror stories about people trying to do too much too soon and injuring the bones.

Today I don't even think about the replacement, just live a normal and active life.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Had total knee replaced some years ago.
That knee is now the best joint in my body.
A new pair of lungs, I reckon I could play rugby again.
Most important, is put in the hard work during the recovery period, and all will be well.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Can you do those things, yes. Is it smart, highly questionable. Knee replacements are great, but can fail. The disaster failure scenario is loosening the bond between the prosthesis and the bone. That involves things like pain, bone grafting, and possible infection. Any activity involving impact can lead to that scenario. I live a great active life with a knee replacement (the other one will need to be replaced eventually) but it required me changing my lifestyle. Activities like swimming, golfing, biking, weight lifting, gardening, and walking the dog keep me active and fit without risking impact to the knees. And not being up north in the winter is critical, slipping on ice is very dangerous. I have given up a lot of activities I used to love doing including snow skiing, water skiing, basketball, softball, lacrosse, hiking in the white mountains, etc… because I would rather play it safe and not risk jeopardizing my quality of life. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:32 AM

The only restriction that I have noticed is I can't get on my knee to kneel anymore. I don't know if it would damage the joint, but it sure does feel different and I resist putting any weight on it to kneel anymore. Other than that, I don't have any problems doing any of the activities I did before. Unfortunately, it didn't improve my golf game any, but I guess that was way to much to hope for since I wasn't any good before the surgery either.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
The only restriction that I have noticed is I can't get on my knee to kneel anymore. I don't know if it would damage the joint, but it sure does feel different and I resist putting any weight on it to kneel anymore. Other than that, I don't have any problems doing any of the activities I did before. Unfortunately, it didn't improve my golf game any, but I guess that was way to much to hope for since I wasn't any good before the surgery either.
Fully agree. I am also a member of the 'wont kneel down club.'
No pain, just feels weird.
At a push, I can do it with a cushion under knee.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Fully agree. I am also a member of the 'wont kneel down club.'
No pain, just feels weird.
At a push, I can do it with a cushion under knee.
Another member of the “won’t kneel down club”. I can tolerate it with a cushion when pulling weeds. I had the replacement done the old school way through the front. That method usually involves some collateral nerve damage which makes kneeling uncomfortable. I would be interested in feedback from people who have had the procedure done through the side as I will eventually need to have the other wheel replaced.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Had both of my knees done 2016 & 2017. My knees are doing fine. Able to get around, work in garden, play golf. Just do the therapy and give yourself time to heal and all will be well. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:25 AM
Veteran member

If you couldn't play those sports before, you won't be able to play them now
Old 08-14-2023, 05:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

I know many people who are back to playing pickleball successfully after knee surgery. Some way too soon IMO (1 month), normal seems to be 3 months. All the best to you.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:02 AM

Quote:
I had both replaced three years ago. No limitations. I play pickleball and golf every week.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:04 AM

You're going give up roofing and laying floor tiles.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:08 AM

I had both knees replaced (side incision), 10 yrs ago. I still play tennis and everything else. I have no problem kneeling.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:38 AM

I had both knees replaced on the same day 4/15/15, was playing 18 holes of golf 8 weeks later.Still feels weird to kneel and definitely need cushion when I do. Must do what is required on your own by your PT and as much as you can do more than required. DO NOT stop seeing the PT until he/she says so. Lots of therapy at home on your own & that is the recovery formula. New a few guys that thought they could do it on their own and they are miserable.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Had both replaced, about 5 years apart. Read the printed instructions for regaining range of motion and did the "rehab" on my own. Made my own little goniometer the second time. :-) Was back ready for my old man tennis tournament participation (clay courts) within two months both times. *Love* my new knees. Can't really think of any physical limitations that I wouldn't have anyway at this age.

Interestingly, the first one was done in Savannah by a tennis buddy, and the second one in Pompano Beach by random draw. :-) The second guy had this bizarre (to me) post-op pain pill regimen - 7 or 8 different pills, but I followed it anyway. It led to an amazingly pain free recovery period, despite my disbelief in magic.

BTW, this same random orthopedist recently gave me the wonderful news that I didn't need the hip replacement which I had assumed that I was ready for. A prescription for "once a day" meloxicam has me living with very little joint pain of any ilk these days, though it wouldn't have been "enough" had I been able to continue the tennis hobby. Plenty, though, for this renewed attempt at golf. Now, if I could only find appropriate "head case" drugs. . .
Closed Thread

Tags
limitations, knee, things, ball, pickle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.