Knee Replacement Limitations

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2023, 06:58 AM

Give yourself plenty of time to fully recover. I would never consider jogging, or putting any jarring stress on your knee after replacement. Once you have it done you won't want to mess it up. My doctor told me, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Best of luck.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palasmith View Post
I had both knees replaced (side incision), 10 yrs ago. I still play tennis and everything else. I have no problem kneeling.
Based on posters experience, side incision seems the way to go if you want to offset the kneeling problem.
If I had other knee replaced, I would go for that method of surgery.
I also read recovery period is quicker with the side entry method.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:29 AM
Default Knee Replacement

If both knees need to be done do one knee at a time. You need the other knee for rehab. The key for a normal return is to religiously do the rehab. Generally what you get in range after 30 days of rehabilitation is all the range you will get. I wouldn’t recommend a partial replacement. Get a total knee replacement. Find an orthopedic surgeon who does a minimum of 300 knees per year.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrcorbett View Post
If both knees need to be done do one knee at a time. You need the other knee for rehab. The key for a normal return is to religiously do the rehab. Generally what you get in range after 30 days of rehabilitation is all the range you will get.
My physio stressed that 30 day point so much.
I know several people who never did the work with knee and hip replacements who never got the full benefit of the procedures.
It's painful, but not as bad as walking bone on bone.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Fully agree. I am also a member of the 'wont kneel down club.'
No pain, just feels weird.
At a push, I can do it with a cushion under knee.
Me too!
Old 08-14-2023, 08:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Can you do those things, yes. Is it smart, highly questionable. Knee replacements are great, but can fail. The disaster failure scenario is loosening the bond between the prosthesis and the bone. That involves things like pain, bone grafting, and possible infection. Any activity involving impact can lead to that scenario. I live a great active life with a knee replacement (the other one will need to be replaced eventually) but it required me changing my lifestyle. Activities like swimming, golfing, biking, weight lifting, gardening, and walking the dog keep me active and fit without risking impact to the knees. And not being up north in the winter is critical, slipping on ice is very dangerous. I have given up a lot of activities I used to love doing including snow skiing, water skiing, basketball, softball, lacrosse, hiking in the white mountains, etc… because I would rather play it safe and not risk jeopardizing my quality of life. Good luck.
Well said. My physical therapist during rehab said yes, you can do all those things, but they will definitely increase the risk that you will need another replacement when you are older. If you modify what you do for fun, there’s a great chance that the prosthesis will last you the rest of your life. They are much better made than they were ten years ago. So exchange pickle ball for pool volleyball.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
Well said. My physical therapist during rehab said yes, you can do all those things, but they will definitely increase the risk that you will need another replacement when you are older. If you modify what you do for fun, there’s a great chance that the prosthesis will last you the rest of your life. They are much better made than they were ten years ago. So exchange pickle ball for pool volleyball.
My doctor said I should consider the new knee to be like a new set of tires on a car. The key point he made was that it will be the last set of tires you will ever get, so you don’t want them to wear out before the car dies. Don’t spin the tires, slam on the brakes, and most importantly avoid the potholes. In other words, avoid anything with fast starts and stops, and most importantly avoid impact. Focus on things like swimming, biking, golfing, and walking. Avoid things like running, jumping, cutting, and slipping. Good luck, and for the first month take the pain meds and double down on the painful physical therapy. Early recovery of range of motion is critical for success.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:45 AM

I had my right knee done 18 years ago. It was old school way, like 6 weeks before ANY weight could be put on leg. Physical therapy very painful but Doc said my range of motion would be permanent after 12 weeks. I now have full range of motion as he said, the ONLY thing is I cannot run or peddle a bike standing. He said that was normal. He claimed I had a "Good Catholic" knee.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:28 AM
Default Both Knees Replaced

I had both knees replaced at the same time and they are great. I agree with those that can't kneel anymore but everything else for me is a go! I play basketball, tennis, pickleball, softball, and whatever else there is to play except maybe football or rugby. Quality of life is playing those things for me so I don't suggest you give up anything you want to do. I highly recommend you getting it done!
Old 08-14-2023, 09:29 AM

What were the 7 or 8 pills you were taking daily to relieve the pain. Thats something all of us future replacement recipients would love to know.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:46 AM

Sounds like good questions for your surgeon!
Old 08-14-2023, 09:55 AM
Default Knee replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Considering replacements and am asking what physical limitations I can expect? Will I be able to jog, play softball, pickle ball, etc? Anyone doing these things? Thanks
I have had both knees replaced, left in 2007 and right in 2010. I am able to play pickle ball, golf, bowl, ride a bike and do pretty much anything I want except kneel. To get around this limitation I use gel knee-pads when I need to work in the yard or on my golf cart and have to get down on my knees.

It was the best decision I’ve ever made! The pain I suffered with all those years was gone. Yes you will have pain from your surgery but that will go away. One bit of advice is to ask your doctor/surgeon to put you in physical therapy before your surgery. The purpose of this is to build up the muscles and help the recovery process. It worked for me. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2023, 10:04 AM
Default Memory and anecdote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
What were the 7 or 8 pills you were taking daily to relieve the pain. Thats something all of us future replacement recipients would love to know.
Danged if I can remember - but it was more like every few hours. *So* much more comfortable than with the first one. But, I'll bet Dr. Raul Gosthe in Fort Lauderdale would probably share his protocol.

As to going easy on the new knees, it might be a question of priorities. A *lot* of the guys playing our old man tennis tournaments were sporting new knees and hips. The most interesting one that I'm aware of is King Van Nostrand, generally top ranked in the country in his age group. Believe he ages up to the 90's come January. Anyway, he's on his third and fourth knees. . .

Last edited by mntlblok; 08-14-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:09 AM

Sounds like great questions that need to be answered by your doctor.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Considering replacements and am asking what physical limitations I can expect? Will I be able to jog, play softball, pickle ball, etc? Anyone doing these things? Thanks
I had knee replaced in 2011. I play pickle ball, on a dragon boat team and bike. I never was a runner. Do the PT faithfully. Prep before and strengthen legs with quads and hams.
Closed Thread

Tags
limitations, knee, things, ball, pickle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.