Knee Replacement Limitations

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2023, 11:14 AM

Left knee replaced in 2000; right knee 2004. Both still working fine. Don't kneel much like in church. If I have to kneel for something in my house, I will use a pad. Don't run much anymore, but walking and golfing; no problem.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

Have had both knees done 5 years ago. Was playing tennis (on clay courts) and pickleball within 2 months of just practicing, actual playing within 3. Gave up slalom course waterskiing, no more snow skiing, still flowride hours each day on a cruise, and gave up tennis when we moved here because all the tennis courts are hard courts. I play from 2-5 hours of pickleball 7 days a week. I have also laid 1200 sq ft of tile (used heavy duty knee pads and extra pads), and play golf multiple times a week.
I can get on my knees if it’s on carpet with no issues, hard tile floors, that still hurts/feels weird.
If you need new knees, get them done, it’s well worth it
Old 08-14-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Another member of the “won’t kneel down club”. I can tolerate it with a cushion when pulling weeds. I had the replacement done the old school way through the front. That method usually involves some collateral nerve damage which makes kneeling uncomfortable. I would be interested in feedback from people who have had the procedure done through the side as I will eventually need to have the other wheel replaced.
Loved my side knee surgery results. Kneel with cushion only!
Old 08-14-2023, 09:09 PM

I was 52 when I had one knee replaced. Best thing I ever did. Being in pain every single day just walking a block sucks. I play Pickelball about 3 times a week, golf, bike, hike. Anything I feel like really and am pain free. The physical therapy is no walk in the park but you have to work hard at it, do not be afraid to stay on pain pills to get through it because they will allow you to work even harder in PT.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
What were the 7 or 8 pills you were taking daily to relieve the pain. Thats something all of us future replacement recipients would love to know.
Had my left knee replaced when the opioid scare was at its height, and Minnesota, in its usual over-reactionary way, implemented some bizarre stuff more for show I think than anything else. Case in point: I was sent home with (as I recall) five oxycodone tablets. If I needed more (which I did after maybe three days) I had to call my doctor at the clinic, who issued the prescription which I picked up at the front desk (after providing positive ID), then took the prescription in A SEALED RED ENVELOPE to the Clinic pharmacy, where it was opened and (again after providing ID) the prescription, another five pills total, was filled.

Inconvenient to say the least. The clinic pharmacy was only open Monday through Friday and closed each day at 5 PM.

Bottom line, I made it mainly on Tylenol. NOT fun.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrcorbett View Post
If both knees need to be done do one knee at a time. You need the other knee for rehab. The key for a normal return is to religiously do the rehab. Generally what you get in range after 30 days of rehabilitation is all the range you will get. I wouldn’t recommend a partial replacement. Get a total knee replacement. Find an orthopedic surgeon who does a minimum of 300 knees per year.
Share with us why you say "...no partial...".
Especially when the other side of the same knee is normal/healthy.

__________________________________________________ __

Old 08-15-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Considering replacements and am asking what physical limitations I can expect? Will I be able to jog, play softball, pickle ball, etc? Anyone doing
these things? Thanks
I had both knees replaced several years ago, a couple years apart in Fort Lauderdale. The doc was amazing!
Done on Monday and walking with a walker that night. Used a walker when I went home Tuesday and Wednesday switch to a cane Thursday and Friday and threw the cane away Saturday and shot sporting clays in the woods that day. I hiked mountains since then. don’t do any jogging, but other than that I’m fine.
I even drove to work the next day, even though I wasn’t supposed to. Lol
Old 08-15-2023, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,086 Times in 2,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Share with us why you say "...no partial...".
Especially when the other side of the same knee is normal/healthy.

__________________________________________________ __

It wasn’t me that said “no partial”. That being said, I have two friends that got partials who now need a total. The both wish they got the total the first time so they don’t have to go through two procedures and rehabs.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwanajim View Post
I had both knees replaced several years ago, a couple years apart in Fort Lauderdale. The doc was amazing!
Done on Monday and walking with a walker that night. Used a walker when I went home Tuesday and Wednesday switch to a cane Thursday and Friday and threw the cane away Saturday and shot sporting clays in the woods that day. I hiked mountains since then. don’t do any jogging, but other than that I’m fine.
I even drove to work the next day, even though I wasn’t supposed to. Lol
How old were you when you had the operation done?
Old 08-17-2023, 09:01 AM
Default Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
How old were you when you had the operation done?
My two were at around 60 and 65.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
My two were at around 60 and 65.
That's amazing how quickly you recovered for being so young. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
That's amazing how quickly you recovered for being so young. Thanks.
😀 That's definitely one of those "no pain, no gain" situations. Motivated enough that I didn't need a "therapist" to hold my hand nor holler at me. And, didn't waste the down time. Had a stool I could sit on and practice volleys with my crutches lying nearby. 😀
Closed Thread

Tags
limitations, knee, things, ball, pickle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.