Knee replacement soon, tips on post recovery? (e.g. bathing, etc)

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2020, 05:35 PM

good tips... thanks.. had a friend suggest freezing water bottles to help in the ice device instead of using just ice. Shrink wrap on the leg... got to remember not to use on my head
Old 12-30-2020, 05:40 PM

staples look like a zipper... backpack idea..thanks
Old 12-30-2020, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Also, roll up a towel and wrap in in duck tape. The towel will go on a dinning table type of chair and you will lay on the floor with your achilles resting on the towel. Then if you have some soft weights, like the type that go around a wrist or ankle, those will go on the knee to force it straight. This is a painful stretch at first, but if you can stand it for about 10 minutes every couple of hours, it will really help with getting your leg straight. I am not sure if they still use these, but I also had a range of motion machine for a couple of weeks. You literally lay in bed and put your leg in the machine, and it slowly bends and then straightens your leg. You start with a slow and low setting, and as you get more range, you can dial up a bigger and faster leg bend. I thought the machine really helped. Also, take a piece of rope and tie a loop in one end. You can lay on the floor and put the loop around your foot and then use the rope to pull your leg toward you to get the bending range of motion. Simple, but effective range of motion exercises really help, but I am sure they will show you during post-op Physical Therapy. The rope with a loop can also help you sling your leg in and out of bed the first couple of days. It also wouldn't hurt to get some of the rubber band type exercise things. After a couple of weeks when you get your range of motion, these can be used to begin the strengthening process. Good Luck.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:27 PM
Default Dang sounds like the torture I did to PT a rotator cuff repair.

Any tips out there on over night while trying to sleep? Do you use the ice device overnight?,..for example??
Old 12-30-2020, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
Any tips out there on over night while trying to sleep? Do you use the ice device overnight?,..for example??
A shot of tequila and some CBD worked for me?
Old 12-30-2020, 10:41 PM

After having a total knee replacement last March (just before shut down) in order to prevent swelling, I highly recommend that you keep your leg and knee elevated as much as you can during the first 2 or 3 weeks after surgery. And that means so your foot is OVER your head by laying down on bed or couch with your leg up on a stack of pillows. I thought having it elevated meant sitting in a lazy boy with the foot rest up. Boy was I wrong. For exercises, I would put a paper plate on the floor with my foot on the plate so I could slide my foot out and back like your exercise examples show.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:55 PM
Default Post-op recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
Getting TKA right knee from Dr. Duke next week. I've been doing all his recommended pre-surgery exercises and not having problems there. I'm just wondering from your experience with TKA what tips you think would be useful post-surgery. Also, I plan on getting equipment I'll need from Helping Hands in Spanish Springs...what equipment did you find most useful?

Thanks...
I am amazed that with all the responses to your query, that no one has mentioned that your surgeon will be providing post-op instructions, equipment and therapy.
Every surgeon has his own protocol for post-op care and some of these suggestions may go against Dr Duke's protocols.
As a Home Health RN, here in The Villages for the past 17 years, following all the different orthopaedic surgeons patients, I have found that you will be given post-op instructions which will include Home Health for the initial therapy and any medical equipment that the surgeon calls for should be ordered prior to your discharge from the hospital and delivered to your home. Medicare pays for any equipment required post-op, as do many other insurances. I would not go out and buy anything until you get your orders from Dr Duke's office. Nor would I arrange for ANY durable medical equipment until you check his discharge orders.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:59 AM
Default Ideas for after replacement

I have had both knees done and have bicycled across the United States on them and several thousand miles on top of that. All good advice - ice machine, raised toilet seat and one more thing - stool softener with a stimulant. Being on pain meds will constipate you like crazy and that you don’t want! Good luck.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:39 AM

As soon as you can, get into a swimming pool. It’s easier to do the exercises in the water.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:13 AM
Default Rolling cart

Dr. Duke replaced my knee last November. He will send you home with an ice machine. I used small water bottles and froze them instead of ice in the machine but either works fine.
The raised commode seat was a lifesaver for me.
I had to have some Ambien to sleep at night for a month. The pain was too bad when I lay down. I didn’t want to take too much Oxy, so I took half an Ambien to sleep.
A friend who had both knees replaced lent me a rolling cart that she had used. I kept all of my supplies on it. Then I just rolled it from the bedroom to the the living room and it served as a Walker/cane on the trip. A picture of a similar one is attached. The one she lent me was much sturdier. It was great and I didn’t want to give it back. I kept it for three months!
It really hurts. Don’t let anyone tell you any different. Dr. Duke says it is worse than hip replacement or open heart surgery. I hope I never have to have the other one done.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:28 AM

Had 3 replacements in last 4 years. P.T. is the most important recovery tool. I use CORA in Spanish Springs, they are great and caring, They work with you one on one. Plenty of icing during the day. Bathing after 3 days, then shower with sutures protected with wrapping.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:31 AM

Just had mine done last month. Two biggest issues have been swelling (expected) and quad muscle pain (not expected). I had a bandage covering the incision for ten days and was able to shower the day after surgery. At the end of the second week, I found walking behind a grocery cart allowed stability, flat surface and ability to focus on a perfect stride.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:42 AM

Swim!
Old 12-31-2020, 08:03 AM

Rent a Game Ready ice compression -machine for first 2 weeks. My doctor had them put it my leg on right after surgery. It decreases pain and swelling - much faster healing. It is a machine used by professional athletes. Go to professional physiotherapy for at 6 weeks.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:29 AM

I have had both of my knees done. For bathing I would take a shower and I used to take a garbage bag and cut out the bottom and then tie the top above the knee. It worked well.
Crutches and a walker in the beginning and then working toward a cane. But what is absolutely the most important instrument is your attitude. Be positive! It's a couple of weeks of inconvenience but you'll find that it's worth it. Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
knee, tka, equipment, tips, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.