Knee replacement soon, tips on post recovery? (e.g. bathing, etc)

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2020, 08:38 AM

Thank you a bunch for the great ideas... I'll pay attention to the post-op instructions and follow on with what is recommended.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:39 AM

After about 2 months in recovery, I realized that having everything in The Villages with no stairs was both a blessing and a curse. I started to look around for someplace with some stairs to practice and exercise on, and I found that there is an outside staircase in Spanish Springs (by the insurance office) and in Lake Sumter Landing (by Van Heusen store). You'll find that going down stairs is very painful and I felt I had to practice that.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:43 AM
Default Yes, ice is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igolf View Post
Tips from the care giver/spouse of hubby who had both done (different times) in 2020. Knee replacements are like children....each one is different. Equipment: Walker, cane, raised toilet seat if yours is not already, shower chair...at least for support in the shower. Could use Walker for that also but then you have a wet Walker. Ice will be your friend. But if some is good more is not better. Use the 20/30 minute on rule. Be patient with yourself, use pain meds and keep moving. Exercises will hurt initially but do them. Good luck
I too am coming at this from the caregiver point of view. And this writer's summary is excellent.

We rented the ice machine for my mom's 2nd surgery. Wonderful! But no more than 20ish minutes ... it's the rule for a reason. Use the pain meds and stay ahead of the pain (don't be a hero ... you will move more if it's not painful).

Also, having a goal. My 75 year old mom's was to get back to 100% independence and to be able to bend her knees and wrap her arms around them like she did as a teenager. She approached her PT like a champ. Goals achieved!
Old 12-31-2020, 08:49 AM

Had both knees replaced, same day, Do all the PT that is given you, do not miss a session, take pain meds before you do your PT. Don't think you can do it on your own. Others I know that had one or both knees done and thought they would do PT on their own, hav e sffered for that decision. I was playing golf in 8 weeks (9 holes) following weeks 18 holes. You have to also do the directed exercises given to you. You work into the pain. Success in getting your knee, knees working properly is up to you and yopur PT professional. If your going to put off because it's uncomfortable or painful your results will ny the end of the process. ot be optimum. I looked at the entire process and what I eeded to do as a 10 week process and my goal was to ahve my knees bending and straightening by the end of the process. It's tru that each knee will be a little different, but both can be working much to your needs and satisfaction. I play golf a couple times a week and Pickleball 3-4 times a week. I walk without any pain and do the things I want to do. In my 6th year of knee replacement and happy I did both my knees and got my mobile life back. Hope you enjoy your new knee as I have mine.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:50 AM

I had both knees done at the same time. Was up walking the next day. I was told by my doctor if I wanted to have the best mobility after to do the required treatments. I put it in my head that I wanted to be on the golf course in April ( Had surgery 11/11/2011) I went to therapy 3 times a week. The therapist would push my first leg up until she said I know this hurts so tell me when to stop. I said when you see the tear come down my cheek you can do the other one. In 3 months I was 100%. I still have no pain what so ever and have full mobility. Best advise push yourself with therapy 3 months go by pretty fast.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:00 AM
Default As soon as you can WATER WALK.

Getting TKA right knee from Dr. Duke next week. I've been doing all his recommended pre-surgery exercises and not having problems there. I'm just wondering from your experience with TKA what tips you think would be useful post-surgery. Also, I plan on getting equipment I'll need from Helping Hands in Spanish Springs...what equipment did you find most useful?

Thanks...

WATER WALK ASAP

Last edited by RonGee; 12-31-2020 at 09:02 AM. Reason: ADDED
Old 12-31-2020, 09:06 AM

We waited until we were in NH for my husbands surgery. We did our research and found an excellent surgeon who does partial replacements with excellent results. Insist on looking at your X-ray. You can see clearly where the cartilage is healthy and where it is not. Obviously you must qualify secondary to the health of the knee. My husband is 3 weeks post partial knee replacement. He is off pain meds, walking with only some stiffness and driving. He had a total replacement 12 years ago and the partial is much less invasive. His recovery has been remarkable but he is motivated to get back to our home in TV and on the golf course.
Good luck!!
Old 12-31-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
After about 2 months in recovery, I realized that having everything in The Villages with no stairs was both a blessing and a curse. I started to look around for someplace with some stairs to practice and exercise on, and I found that there is an outside staircase in Spanish Springs (by the insurance office) and in Lake Sumter Landing (by Van Heusen store). You'll find that going down stairs is very painful and I felt I had to practice that.
Had BOTH knees done (one year apart) several years ago by Dr. Duke...best surgeon by far. Am doing extremely well, and I can personally tell you that unless you take post-op therapy seriously...you will not improve as you should. I pushed myself with therapy and it paid off tremendously. Found that the best therapy for me was going to the gym after graduating outpatient therapy, and using the stationary bike (both forward and backward cycling) and the stairclimber...it hurts...there's no way out of it...just pace yourself. Good Luck.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igolf View Post
Tips from the care giver/spouse of hubby who had both done (different times) in 2020. Knee replacements are like children....each one is different. Equipment: Walker, cane, raised toilet seat if yours is not already, shower chair...at least for support in the shower. Could use Walker for that also but then you have a wet Walker. Ice will be your friend. But if some is good more is not better. Use the 20/30 minute on rule. Be patient with yourself, use pain meds and keep moving. Exercises will hurt initially but do them. Good luck
I agree 100%. I would add remove all area rugs as they are trip hazards. Also be sure to do the homework from physical therapy, some people just go home and sit. Not good. If you’re doing the pre surgery exercises this should be no problem. I had bilateral knee replacement surgery 7 years ago, had the the right done on Friday and the left done on Monday. Three months of physical therapy and I was back to work. I was a head custodian at a high school. A little slow going at first but eventually got back up to speed. Now I’m in the process of shoulder replacement, just had the right shoulder done, this coming year the left.
Good luck with your surgery!
Old 12-31-2020, 09:51 AM

I was evaluated by several doctors in The Villages and was told I needed a full knee replacement. Saw a doctor in Tampa after a seminar in the Villages....and he recommended a partial.. more non evasive to the medial area of my knee. I had the operation and only did at home therapy .... and was golfing in 30 days !! That was 11 years ago. Had my other knee operated on in 2015 due to an accident....again only a partial was necessary...and again I was golfing in 30 days. The partial allows a more natural flexibility to the knee. As a supplemental note...I have had friends go to Dr. Duke...and they affirm he is well qualified to do the full replacements.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
This is what my knee looked like the day after the surgery when they sent me home. Picture taken 3/19/2011. I think they do it differently these days. Don't forget to set up a very comfortable recliner in from of the TV and have everything you might need on the side table (clicker, water, reading material and glasses, tablet, phone, meds, etc....). Also, a small backpack comes in handy to carry stuff around the first couple of days when you are using crutches or a walker. Good luck!
Wow, that's quite the incision!!!
Old 12-31-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
Getting TKA right knee from Dr. Duke next week. I've been doing all his recommended pre-surgery exercises and not having problems there. I'm just wondering from your experience with TKA what tips you think would be useful post-surgery. Also, I plan on getting equipment I'll need from Helping Hands in Spanish Springs...what equipment did you find most useful?

Thanks...
Had mine done 3 weeks ago by Dr Duke zero pain after surgery, great follow up and do your PT religiously. Lots of ice, exercise and you'll be fine
Old 12-31-2020, 03:22 PM

Had mine in 2018. Ice machine, pain meds and most important THERAPY! The therapy is hard but will pay off in the end—full range of motion AND no scar tissue. Get thorough massages on the knee to prevent scar tissue—if PT doesn’t provide get it somewhere! It will take a full year to feel normal. The shower won’t be a problem since they tape/glue now versus stitches or staples. I only used walker, no cane and I had to go up and down stairs each day. Best of luck — you’ll do fine.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumps1361 View Post
Had mine done 3 weeks ago by Dr Duke zero pain after surgery, great follow up and do your PT religiously. Lots of ice, exercise and you'll be fine
Zero pain after surgery? I had my TKA 7 weeks ago. Just finished my outpatient PT. Be realistic in your expectations and set your goals. It’s hard work, and it hurts, but the results will be worth it. Did I mention that it hurts?
Old 01-01-2021, 09:52 AM

I had doctor Duke do one leg and I agree with all the post EXCEPT " Find a Doctor who goes in the side instead of down the middle" , I had my second knee done on the side and there is no comparison in recovery time. I was playing golf after 10 days with the second knee with no pain.
Closed Thread

Tags
knee, tka, equipment, tips, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.