Knee replacement surgeons to avoid

Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Gold member
Default Knee replacement surgeons to avoid

My wife needs to have knee replacement surgeries as a result of a workplace accident. Her lawyer wants a list of good orthopedic surgeons and also a list of ones to avoid so that in his discussions with the insurance company he can hopefully avoid the bad ones and get a good one (unfortunately, the insurance company is essentially calling the shots on this.) I have perused back threads on this subject and have a number of recommended doctors (Kerrina and Duke seem to be most positively recommended, but there are others as well). However, the only one that seemed to be on the "avoid" list was Hunt. Does anyone else have any direct knowledge of orthopedic surgeons to stay away from?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
My wife needs to have knee replacement surgeries as a result of a workplace accident. Her lawyer wants a list of good orthopedic surgeons and also a list of ones to avoid so that in his discussions with the insurance company he can hopefully avoid the bad ones and get a good one (unfortunately, the insurance company is essentially calling the shots on this.) I have perused back threads on this subject and have a number of recommended doctors (Kerrina and Duke seem to be most positively recommended, but there are others as well). However, the only one that seemed to be on the "avoid" list was Hunt. Does anyone else have any direct knowledge of orthopedic surgeons to stay away from?
I had Dr Kerrina who was fantastic. I was in such pain with a torn rotator cuff. Now, he could have made money on me by operating on the cuff. He is an ethical man with a fantastic sense of humor and compassion. He decided to first try physical therapy and that sure did heal the tear. Whatta guy!!

Before this occurred, I was in a jewelry shop in Town Sq and mentioned my painful shoulder (was just starting to pain) and the woman waiting on me spoke of her having Dr K and had highly recommended him. A few weeks later the pain was intolerable and I went to outpatient at The Villages Regional Hosp and they sent me to of all people Dr Kerrina. That was surprising and yet I was so pleased to go see Dr K.

When I first met him, I thought hmmmm what have we here. There in front of me is this humungus man who looked more a football player....very tall and at that time (circa 2002) was quite robust wearing sweats and a baseball cap. Do not go by first impressions.....he is wonderful.

Good luck....barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Ask our Villages07. That girl is playing tennis again. Everytime I see her, I want to smile. I felt that way before she had surgery on her knee too.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Sage

Yep, Kerina for me...he did an excellent job on a very bad knee. I just saw him the other day. He did over 400 knee replacements, partial and full, in 2010.

Dr Duke also has a good reputation.

Haven't heard of many to avoid. Just make sure she goes to someone who does a lot of this type of surgery.

Best of luck to her. The surgery and the recovery are so much better and easier now than 10-15 years ago.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Perhaps you should consider avoiding your current lawyer.

Hard to believe the lawyer expects you to research which doctors are best for the type of surgery your wife needs. Any experienced lawyer would know which doctors would be best for their clients based upon their past experience. The fact this lawyer doesn't know that information would seem to indicate they are not well versed in the area of personal injury claims.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Default Perspectives vary

The actual experiences patients have had with a physician is important . . . Whether the person is treated like a human being and not like a machine nor "clinical material", besides the technical skills being excellent.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Perhaps you should consider avoiding your current lawyer.

Hard to believe the lawyer expects you to research which doctors are best for the type of surgery your wife needs. Any experienced lawyer would know which doctors would be best for their clients based upon their past experience. The fact this lawyer doesn't know that information would seem to indicate they are not well versed in the area of personal injury claims.
The lawyer gets a pass on this since this is from a case that started when we were in a different state. Hence, the only thing he probably knows about doctors in Florida is "Doc" from the 7 dwarfs, who reside in the Magic Kingdom.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Default Knee Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Yep, Kerina for me...he did an excellent job on a very bad knee. I just saw him the other day. He did over 400 knee replacements, partial and full, in 2010.

Dr Duke also has a good reputation.

Haven't heard of many to avoid. Just make sure she goes to someone who does a lot of this type of surgery.

Best of luck to her. The surgery and the recovery are so much better and easier now than 10-15 years ago.
I am having a problem with my knee and saw your post about Dr. Kerrina. Can you tell me more about your knee surgery & recovery. Thanks
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.