Knees and Hips 101

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Default Knees and Hips 101

They called nearly two weeks ago and said I would be required to attend a pre surgical class. Tuesday at 4:30 (yesterday) you should bring the person who will help you. My expectations were beyond low, I couldn't imagine what they needed two hours to discuss? My mood said 'pain management'. - the orthopedic surgeon had made a comment about how 'terrible' an infection could be. He'd have to remove the appliance and you'd have to wait two months for a new one. The passion in his voice told me one of his patient got an infection. I was convinced I'm doomed and was certain to get an infection and it would be 'terrible'.

Terrible is an interesting and purely subjective word. Said the right way, by the right person, in the right context, it could scare the bejesus out of you. Yet "that haircut is terrible" is not so bad. It hadn't helped that the neighbor mentioned that a friend had said it that been more pain full then expected.

The wife and I found our way to the 7th floor and by the 4:40 there was at least 30 of us 'the waking gimpy' in there. We all got our complimentary bag with either a knee or hip notebook. A package of pre-surgical wipes. Then the nurse running the class said the word 'infection' and my focus was on every word. "When you Go to the dentist and get so cleaning all this bacteria will be released.... You new knee could be its new home" ok no problem I thought I'll swallow a large bottle of pills before, during and after. Next she got around to "post surgical infection" there's that word again and how to use thew wipes. "We've got it down to nearly zero and we did 1500 hips/knees in 2013".

Then something wonderful and powerful happened the nurse said "oh look there's a patient who had her knee done yesterday" we could see through the window in the door -she was walking with a walker and an attendant and guess what? she was smiling... Then I saw a man and he too was using a walker and chatting it up with his attendant.

Wow I thought I can do this...
Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Who is your Doctor/Surgeon?
Old 11-11-2015, 11:47 AM

Local you wouldn't know Mathew Handling MD
Old 11-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Platinum member

I had a hip done here locally so I'm talking form experience. I had those classes too. They tell you about infection because infection is serious and they have to make you believe it. Truth is, it doesn't happen very often and if you guard against it it won't happen to you either.

It's just one more life adventure, and after it's done you will feel much better and walk much better. Pain? Of course. But that too ends if you work hard in the rehab process. You can't throw a rock in The Villages without hitting someone who has a replacement hip or knee, so welcome to the club.

Take a deep breath. Keep a positive attitude, even when it's tough to do. Do what they tell you to do. Take your meds. Work hard in rehab. You'll be fine!

Old 11-11-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I had a hip done here locally so I'm talking form experience. I had those classes too. They tell you about infection because infection is serious and they have to make you believe it. Truth is, it doesn't happen very often and if you guard against it it won't happen to you either.

It's just one more life adventure, and after it's done you will feel much better and walk much better. Pain? Of course. But that too ends if you work hard in the rehab process. You can't throw a rock in The Villages without hitting someone who has a replacement hip or knee, so welcome to the club.

Take a deep breath. Keep a positive attitude, even when it's tough to do. Do what they tell you to do. Take your meds. Work hard in rehab. You'll be fine!

They thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement it is deeply. Appreciated.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Had knee #1 in 1999 and the other knee done in 2014. When I had the first knee done I was scared as hell, when I had the other done I couldn't wait to get it done. Both results are great, and the quality of life regained is amazing. If you trust your surgeon, then the rest is out of your control and all the angst won't give you that control so don't spend too much time worrying about it.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Platinum member

I had knee #1 replaced 7/27 and knee #2 replaced 10/26 done by Dr. Nguyen laterally.
Quick recovery. Yes there is pain but you are off the walker in a couple of days onto a cane and by 2nd week, off the cane. 1 wk in home PT, then 6 wks outpatient PT at Physio Med in Lady Lake. I am only 2 1/2 wks out of surgery with a 124 deg angle. Dr. Nguyen requires 125 to be discharged from PT after 6 wks so I'm way ahead this time.
Closed Thread

Tags
infection, terrible, word, knee, patient, pain, surgical, class, yesterday, attendant, walker, wipes, thought, nurse, person, large, swallow, pre-surgical, running, focus, package, notebook, hip, bottle, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.