Laser treatment for toenail fugus

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2023, 04:28 PM
Default Laser treatment for toenail fugus

Again I am reaching out to try and get reference on gettin Laser Treatment for toenail fungus.

I have currently been told to try ….. “Coast to Coast Podiatry” located in The Villages and wondering what your opinion might be of this company. They charge $300 for I treatment and (if needed?) additional fee if “needed”??? For addition treatment

I keep myself in great shape but am Leary of “if this works” as I have tried researching on Google but find “Talk of The Villages” has a lot better feedback.

Thank you for your help
Old 11-04-2023, 05:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,973 Times in 755 Posts

Learn how to use GOOGLE a little better much information available
toe nail fungus laser treatment - Google Search
Old 11-04-2023, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I have MILD toenail fungus, it is not into the nail bed. When I asked the dermatologist about this, he replied most of the OTC remedies do not work. A few months later I asked my family doctor, ready for this, he said to use LISTRINE on the toenail. I am in my second week of treatment, and I think the nail looks better. He also mentioned there are pills for this BUT they are hard on the liver.
I will try to remember to post an update in a few weeks.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Try Vic vaporRub. Google if you think I’m pulling your leg.

“Vicks VapoRub
Although designed for cough suppression, its active ingredients (camphor and eucalyptus oil) may help treat toenail fungus. An older 2011 study found that Vicks VapoRub had a “positive clinical effect” in treating toenail fungus. Another 2016 study on living with HIV confirmed this finding.”
Old 11-11-2023, 12:33 PM

Thank you
Old 11-11-2023, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanie1160 View Post
Thank you
Listerine update, the big toe is looking better, it will probably take several more weeks to heal completely, but it does appear to be working!!
Old 11-11-2023, 02:47 PM
Veteran member

Listerine probably works because of the alcohol. I rinse with hydrogen peroxide and that works as well. Peroxide is a great antifungal. I've heard that same thing, that it's not on the surface and topical agents won't work but I think that's just so they can sell more pills. The peroxide works great. Of course Listerine will make them smell better.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

There is some "fairly" good info in this thread...

Vick's "sometimes" works due to its eucalyptus origin, which is similar to "Tea Tree Oil" which has a natural anti-fungal action. But...They only work on mild cases, and only work about 25-30% of the time. You also have to use it for months, until the nail grows out clear, just like any other topical med.

Listerine "may" work, but again, you have to use it for 6-9 months...

I think the alcohol is just lightening the nail and not actually killing the fungus, but if it works, great!

Penlac (Ciclopyrox) is a prescription topical that also has some success (better with mild cases.

Jublia (Efinaconazole) seems to work better than Penlac, but it's more expensive and I've had difficulty getting insurance companies to cover the cost.

Both of these meds have to be used for 6-9 months. The biggest mistake patients make is to stop using the meds once the nail "starts to look better".

Terbinafine (the oral medicine) probably works the best, with a 70-75% success rate. Yes, it can be hard on the liver (like cholesterol medicine), so I do an initial liver panel to make sure there are no problems, and then repeat the labs a month later. If there are no changes, you stay on the meds for 3-4 months and then let the nail grow out...

Now, as to lasers... I used to use a laser. It was expensive to buy and expensive for the patient. Insurance did not cover the charges (I don't believe they do now)...

The literature states a 50-60% success rate. So, it's better than the topical, but not as good as the oral meds.

All that being said, the severity of the diseased nail makes a HUGE difference in what modality to chose.

Pts with mild disease respond better to topical meds than those with severe disease.

The pills work better on the really bad nails...

Hope this helps... Please send me your insurance info for the consult...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-11-2023, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post

Vick's "sometimes" works due to its eucalyptus origin, which is similar to "Tea Tree Oil" which has a natural anti-fungal action. But...They only work on mild cases, and only work about 25-30% of the time. You also have to use it for months, until the nail grows out clear, just like any other topical med.

I think the alcohol is just lightening the nail and not actually killing the fungus, but if it works, great!

Penlac (Ciclopyrox) is a prescription topical that also has some success (better with mild cases.

Jublia (Efinaconazole) seems to work better than Penlac, but it's more expensive and I've had difficulty getting insurance companies to cover the cost.

Both of these meds have to be used for 6-9 months. The biggest mistake patients make is to stop using the meds once the nail "starts to look better".

Terbinafine (the oral medicine) probably works the best, with a 70-75% success rate. Yes, it can be hard on the liver (like cholesterol medicine), so I do an initial liver panel to make sure there are no problems, and then repeat the labs a month later. If there are no changes, you stay on the meds for 3-4 months and then let the nail grow out...

Now, as to lasers... I used to use a laser. It was expensive to buy and expensive for the patient. Insurance did not cover the charges (I don't believe they do now)...

The literature states a 50-60% success rate. So, it's better than the topical, but not as good as the oral meds.

All that being said, the severity of the diseased nail makes a HUGE difference in what modality to chose.

Pts with mild disease respond better to topical meds than those with severe disease.

Will my worthless dental insurance work?
Old 11-12-2023, 12:01 AM
Default new molecule research

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanie1160 View Post
Again I am reaching out to try and get reference on gettin Laser Treatment for toenail fungus.

I have currently been told to try ….. “Coast to Coast Podiatry” located in The Villages and wondering what your opinion might be of this company. They charge $300 for I treatment and (if needed?) additional fee if “needed”??? For addition treatment

I keep myself in great shape but am Leary of “if this works” as I have tried researching on Google but find “Talk of The Villages” has a lot better feedback.

Thank you for your help

New antifungal molecule kills fungi without toxicity in human cells, mice | Chemistry at Illinois

Hope they get beyond the mice in tests
Old 11-12-2023, 06:23 AM

Doesnt work, all BS. It does not matter which doctor you see it's a laser treatment. They us a wand with a red beam of light with intense heat focus on you toe nail moving it around to kill what ever is under the nail. For one big toe nail the procedure was about 25 to 30 min. The charge was $400.00. It never made a difference. I did not go back to the Dr. I assumed he would say I needed another treatment for a additional $400, LOL. No thanks. I have had good luck with a liquid topical called OUHOE purchased on Amazon. Saw a on line AD and ordered. You must be consistent using every day. Appears to be working.
Old 11-12-2023, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

I knew a woman with fungus SO bad she had to have her toenails removed and the nail beds debrided. The fungus was spreading between her toes and down toward the pads of her feet. She wasn't able to walk for two months after surgery but a year later she was doing great - just no more toenails.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post

Related question….what causes the fungus? Is there a way to proactively avoid it?
Old 11-12-2023, 01:28 PM
Default Another OTC suggestion...

My dermatologist recommended using a bleach pen -- the kind you use for removing laundry stains. Oxyclean has one and I'm pumping the stuff under the one toenail after showering
Old 11-12-2023, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
Related question….what causes the fungus? Is there a way to proactively avoid it?
Typically, it's due to an injury to the nail.

That injury (and it doesn't have to be dropping a bowling ball on your toe, a tight shoe can injure the nail bed) allows dermatophytes (fungus that lives on your skin) to get under the nail, taking root...

Also damp shoes on a daily basis can cause a break in the skin, allowing the fungus to get in.

Pretty much anything that causes athlete's foot...

Also, poor circulation (as seen in diabetics and with aging) can decrease the body's ability to fight infections (including fungal infections)...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
treatment, laser, toenail, feedback, fee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.