Is Leesburg Hospital as BAD as the reviews say it is?

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2023, 05:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
My husband has a procedure scheduled at Leesburg Hospital in a week. He is just reading the reviews for the hospital. The reviews are absolutely dreadful. Is the hospital really as bad as the reviewers say it is? Anyone have experience with Leesburg Hospital?
People are much more likely to write a review if their experience was bad than if it was good. Don’t trust those. That said, that hospital has the same rating as The Villages’ hospital: B, mostly due to surgeons who don’t perform certain surgeries often enough to be good at it and to infections acquired at the hospital.

The only A rated hospital in the area is AdventHealth Waterman, in Taveres. I was very pleased with it when I had a total hip replacement there 18 months ago.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:16 AM
Default The Village’s Hospital

Went to Emergency Room a while back. Processing in went smoothly. Waited four hours for a bed which was in the hallway next to the nurses station. Understandable seeing how busy they were. I was to stay overnight because they wanted to monitor my heart. Waited and waited, fell asleep, woke up in the morning, no heart monitor! Never saw a doctor. Finally got a hold of a nurse and I asked him for the blood work results taken the night before. He said he could not give them to me and I would have to wait for a doctor or read the results from my health portal.
Waited, left signed myself out.
This was the second bad experience with The Villages Hospital. I am not going back for a third.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:20 AM

My husband had open heart surgery there ,and im.A frequent flyer there ,always had excellent care and he had excellent care after his open heart ,great care on floors
Just don't go to ER.there ,unless you like sitting in waiting area for ten hours ,that needs improvement.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:28 AM

My wife had open heart surgery double bypass. Excellent care.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:33 AM

A friend recently had triple bypass surgery there and he was totally satisfied with the results. He said that the physician was fantastic.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:06 AM

Breast Cancer Surgery at UF Villages Hospital with outstanding results and care. 5 months ago.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:12 AM

My open heart a few years was excellant
Old 07-13-2023, 06:13 AM

I think people's experiences and opinions are somewhat subjective. What gives more weight is the opinions of organizations and Government that interact with all hospitals. If you are interested in what Medicare thinks of our local hospitals, this is a good link:

Medicare.gov

Personally, I go to Waterman.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life as I know it View Post
Went to Emergency Room a while back. Processing in went smoothly. Waited four hours for a bed which was in the hallway next to the nurses station. Understandable seeing how busy they were. I was to stay overnight because they wanted to monitor my heart. Waited and waited, fell asleep, woke up in the morning, no heart monitor! Never saw a doctor. Finally got a hold of a nurse and I asked him for the blood work results taken the night before. He said he could not give them to me and I would have to wait for a doctor or read the results from my health portal.
Waited, left signed myself out.
This was the second bad experience with The Villages Hospital. I am not going back for a third.
I totally agree with you about the Villages ER. I had an awful experience there in May, 2022. Had to wait for hours on end after they said I was released, just need paperwork signed. But they took their time in getting the papers signed. Waited in a room for 5 hours. I talked to the nurse’s station and they were no help. And then as I continued to wait, I saw the nurse’s desk changing shifts. So at that point it was 8 hours.

But that wasn’t the worst thing that happened during my ER visit. A staff member who took my vitals was abusive. Incident is still on my mind a year later. Contacted the hospital’s administrator, told him what happened and he just told me she was not a part of their regular medical staff, as if that made it ok. Since then I’ve been working with the UF Health Villages’ patient advocate department.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:18 AM

There's good and bad reviews everywhere concerning hospitals. Most importantly is whether the Dr's/surgeons are top notch? If it's anything serious Shands (Univ of Fl) in Gainesville and Mayo in Jacksonville for the best care. Any local hospitals are subject to hit and miss. Even tho people have good outcomes you can never be sure internally it was that good - just what they see and hear drives their opinions. When I worked in medical the nurses responses and expressions were the tell all.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:25 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

I was there just after the University of Florida took over and everything was just fine
Old 07-13-2023, 06:31 AM
Sage

Oh.my!! You ask on a public forum?? That said however---been reading very good reports of late of the hospital(s) here. Think they're improving!! With the short-staffs in the ER's I'd think that's where the issues have been in the past but they're under new ownership. People here are so quick to criticize. We've lived here for 14 yrs and have had several hospital stays between us. Two years ago my other half got transferred to Gainesville and we weren't impressed with the care there. So one just never knows. Would that stop us from being hospitalized if need by? I'd say NO!!
Old 07-13-2023, 06:44 AM

Shoulder surgery in March, every person was top notch from checkin to checkout. Was very surprised but happy.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
My husband has a procedure scheduled at Leesburg Hospital in a week. He is just reading the reviews for the hospital. The reviews are absolutely dreadful. Is the hospital really as bad as the reviewers say it is? Anyone have experience with Leesburg Hospital?
it depends on what the situation is. My experience was horrible, I wouldn't sent a dying worm to UF anything. It was so bad that we had to demand a transfer from Leeburg to Shands in Gainsville...of which improved but not all that much. Considering I'm married to a medical professional.... I have to realize as I said that it depends on the situation, but I am requesting Advent in Ocala from here on out as everything gets a nickname , UCF is you can't finish, UF is U F*cked. That's how bad it is

bonus comment - some stations in Leeburg don't even give report on shift change. so good luck.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
it depends on what the situation is. My experience was horrible, I wouldn't sent a dying worm to UF anything. It was so bad that we had to demand a transfer from Leeburg to Shands in Gainsville...of which improved but not all that much. Considering I'm married to a medical professional.... I have to realize as I said that it depends on the situation, but I am requesting Advent in Ocala from here on out as everything gets a nickname , UCF is you can't finish, UF is U F*cked. That's how bad it is

bonus comment - some stations in Leeburg don't even give report on shift change. so good luck.
Isn’t Shands in Gainesville a UF hospital? At least that’s what it says on the top of the buildings
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, reviews, leesburg, bad, absolutely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.