Level of Care

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Sage
Default Level of Care

I know there are a lot of people who have serious medical conditions so I am thankful for my good health.
I went to the doctor last week for my yearly physical and being a type 2 diabetic, I didn't think it was necessary to remind him to include an A1C test for checking it. He does this request electronically. If I don't ask for a copy of the results before he hits the send button, I am informed I have to call the office. He plays with the computer more than he talks to his patient.
I go for blood work the next morning after fasting for 11 hours and ask if this test was included. She said no but I will draw an extra vial of blood and you can call the doctor's office to get the doctors approval.
I called the office at 9:08 AM and Christina said the medical assistant wasn't in yet!!!!! but she would tell her. Gail from Quest calls me at 11:25 and asked if I called the doctors office and I said yes. She asked me if I wanted her to call the office for me. I said yes thinking maybe they would respond better to a colleague. At 12:10 PM, I didn't get a call back so I called the office again and was informed the doctor wsasn't in and she would have to send an e-mail to him requested this test and maybe he wouldn't respond until tomorrow. She also gave me a baloney answer saying it could be included the next day as they would call Quest Labs directly. I said that was too late as the blood vial was only good until 4 PM. I also requested a call to ensure this was done. I never got a call.
Five days later, I get a call with my test results on my answering machine after filling out forms saying I wanted to be called on my cell as I would want to discuss certain readings. I couldn't make out her name and she apolgized for not including the A1C test and said I needed to go for blood work again. HUH?

I want to call and ask why they couldn't repond to my request five days ago when I called so there wouldn't be a mistake. I would really like to give them heck but I think the doctor runs his office like a dictatorship and the people there walk around on eggshells as he is always giving them heck and probably treats them like cr**. I should feel sorry for them but somehow I can't. Still, no excuse for being incompetent and not listening to a patients request to avoid a mistake.

Being from the northeast where care is suppose to be excellent begs these questions.
1. Is this type of scenario also happen in TV with the doctors?
2. Do they listen to the patient?

Thanlks for listening to my rant.

Happy Valentine's Day.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Eternal Member

I had a heck of a time finding a Dr. when we moved here in 2000. After going through 5 Dr., I finally found one that I love. I also love his PA. She's awesome. I've been going there for about 6 years now. There are a lot of good ones.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I had a heck of a time finding a Dr. when we moved here in 2000. After going through 5 Dr., I finally found one that I love. I also love his PA. She's awesome. I've been going there for about 6 years now. There are a lot of good ones.
Thanks for reponding as I needed to get that out of me. I will call when I am not angry as I don't want to have to deal with this again.

Nice to know that some doctors and their staff really listen to their patients.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Sage

I have a doctor who takes all the time in the world with me, and yet people aren't kept waiting. It's a medical miracle!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Gold member

I feel your anger, but unfortunately that seems to be the norm now more often than not. We, the patients have to wait and wait for the doctors and staff to answer our requests, etc...We've had a few "firm" talks with our doctor's office staff and finally got some quicker response times to really routine things that they should be able to do in their sleep. We just have to keep pushing and be our own advocates for our health. It's so annoying, but it's everywhere. That being said we are quite happy now with the doctors we have here in The Villages.....but it took a while to find them.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
I feel your anger, but unfortunately that seems to be the norm now more often than not. We, the patients have to wait and wait for the doctors and staff to answer our requests, etc...We've had a few "firm" talks with our doctor's office staff and finally got some quicker response times to really routine things that they should be able to do in their sleep. We just have to keep pushing and be our own advocates for our health. It's so annoying, but it's everywhere. That being said we are quite happy now with the doctors we have here in The Villages.....but it took a while to find them.
I totally with your post.

Probably call them this afternoon as I am calming down but will make the point that it is unacceptable to not respond properly or timely to my request going forward.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Sage

Wow. I think this calls for a serious talk with the Dr. I can't believe a T2 DM on an annual physical would have to specify an A1C with the rest of their bloodwork. We had a DM panel that was done on all our DM patients on their regular checkups that included the A1C. If there is a newer lab test they are using for long term monitoring that should have been made known to you.The staff may have dropped the ball, but the first omission was the Dr.'s.

More and more, I find you have to be a vigorous advocate regarding your medical care.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Wow. I think this calls for a serious talk with the Dr. I can't believe a T2 DM on an annual physical would have to specify an A1C with the rest of their bloodwork. We had a DM panel that was done on all our DM patients on their regular checkups that included the A1C. If there is a newer lab test they are using for long term monitoring that should have been made known to you.The staff may have dropped the ball, but the first omission was the Dr.'s.

More and more, I find you have to be a vigorous advocate regarding your medical care.

I am an advocate for my health as I try to think of everything. I don't usually assume that it will get it done as I know he has other patients but this is glaring oversight on his part. I asked for a PSA test but thought he would automatically ask for this test as it has been nine months since it has been checked. I just wanted to go for blood work once and not be inconvenience.
BTW - He has done this once before when he a paperwork system and mentioned the A1C before I left the office.

Lots of luck trying to get him on the phone. LOL. Even his nurse has to e-mail him and he walks past her a hundred times a day and she is not allowed to talk to him. What's up with that?

It's better to express my dissatisfaction and go for the blood work and not keep being upset. Who says life has to be fair or perfect?

BTW - What is a T2 DM blood panel?

Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post

....can't wait for government run health care,....it will be even better,...NOT!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Smile doctor

JBloom and Bonny,

Can you please give me the names of both of your doctors? I will be moving into the Villages towards the end of this year. My sister mentioned to me that living in Florida I will not get good health care compared to living here in NJ. After reading some of these posts it kind of scares me that I won't find good health care in Fl.

Thanks

Patti
Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmpat View Post
JBloom and Bonny,

Can you please give me the names of both of your doctors? I will be moving into the Villages towards the end of this year. My sister mentioned to me that living in Florida I will not get good health care compared to living here in NJ. After reading some of these posts it kind of scares me that I won't find good health care in Fl.

Thanks

Patti
I go to Dr. John Burress & his PA is Sylvia Wallace. They are awesome. They are Lady Lake Family Medicine. The office is on 466 just past Rolling Acres Rd. in front of Recreation Plantation. 259-7994
Old 02-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I actually have been utilizing my heart doc as a GP. he is a caring doc very detailed and his staff is top shelve. I have come to really care about these folks. Again all my docs are associated with Munroe and to day I have only positive thoughts and words regarding them
Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmpat View Post
JBloom and Bonny,

Can you please give me the names of both of your doctors? I will be moving into the Villages towards the end of this year. My sister mentioned to me that living in Florida I will not get good health care compared to living here in NJ. After reading some of these posts it kind of scares me that I won't find good health care in Fl. Thanks

Patti
Patti:

I am presently in CT so much for excellent care in the northeast.

Everyone:

I called the doctor's office and got the same person who was suppose to process the request for the A1C test. I asked for my PSA reading and Tatiana said she couldn't tell me unless the doctor approved it. I received a message on my answering machine to call and ask what questions I may have regarding my blood work. Huh. In addition, I asked why my request wasn't processed in a timely manner and she said they sent over the request to Quest twice. I'm not the kind of person to call someone a liar but as Judy Judy says:

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

I will call Quest to verify if they have this request because i can't believe a word they say. Is the person occuplying the same planet I am?

Well, time to let go and go onto much more important thoughts.

Thanks for listening to me. Over and Out.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I know there are a lot of people who have serious medical conditions so I am thankful for my good health.
I went to the doctor last week for my yearly physical and being a type 2 diabetic, I didn't think it was necessary to remind him to include an A1C test for checking it. He does this request electronically. If I don't ask for a copy of the results before he hits the send button, I am informed I have to call the office. He plays with the computer more than he talks to his patient.
I go for blood work the next morning after fasting for 11 hours and ask if this test was included. She said no but I will draw an extra vial of blood and you can call the doctor's office to get the doctors approval.
I called the office at 9:08 AM and Christina said the medical assistant wasn't in yet!!!!! but she would tell her. Gail from Quest calls me at 11:25 and asked if I called the doctors office and I said yes. She asked me if I wanted her to call the office for me. I said yes thinking maybe they would respond better to a colleague. At 12:10 PM, I didn't get a call back so I called the office again and was informed the doctor wsasn't in and she would have to send an e-mail to him requested this test and maybe he wouldn't respond until tomorrow. She also gave me a baloney answer saying it could be included the next day as they would call Quest Labs directly. I said that was too late as the blood vial was only good until 4 PM. I also requested a call to ensure this was done. I never got a call.
Five days later, I get a call with my test results on my answering machine after filling out forms saying I wanted to be called on my cell as I would want to discuss certain readings. I couldn't make out her name and she apolgized for not including the A1C test and said I needed to go for blood work again. HUH?

I want to call and ask why they couldn't repond to my request five days ago when I called so there wouldn't be a mistake. I would really like to give them heck but I think the doctor runs his office like a dictatorship and the people there walk around on eggshells as he is always giving them heck and probably treats them like cr**. I should feel sorry for them but somehow I can't. Still, no excuse for being incompetent and not listening to a patients request to avoid a mistake.

Being from the northeast where care is suppose to be excellent begs these questions.
1. Is this type of scenario also happen in TV with the doctors?
2. Do they listen to the patient?

Thanlks for listening to my rant.

Happy Valentine's Day.
Sorry for all your trouble. I guess I would be shopping for a new doctor.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Sorry for all your trouble. I guess I would be shopping for a new doctor.
Thanks for your sympathetic thought. You soooooooooooooo right in that I will be getting a new doctor.

I plan to keep my cool until records are transferred.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.