Looking for better treatment

Old 01-20-2024, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Mrs Bogie and I have been on the managed plan for15 years…..neither of us has suffered!

Yet.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I know. It's unfortunate that Medicare didn't turn out like it was designed and so many Americans are stuck buying Advantage plans, because they can't afford Medicare & Supplemental insurance. It's a national tragedy.

I thought ACA was supposed to fix that? I guess they didn’t read it did they?
Old 01-20-2024, 10:26 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano121 View Post
I am going to be kind and just say that I am very disappointed with TVHS.. My current Doctor (for some reason... money?) refuses to see me regarding an ailment that the Practical Nurse says could be "Serious". I have been ill now for almost two months. Getting the required imaging is taking a month. I know the "Snowbirds are here but I live here year round. Shouldn't that account for something?

Anyway, can anyone, please, recommend a Doctor that is responsive, please!
As a retired ER/ICU RN, paramedic supervisor, and county coroner let me just state that almost all LPN's know just enough to be dangerous. Note that you also quoted her/him as saying "could be". Yes, pretty much every ache, pain, dizzy spell, upset stomach, heartburn, etc "could be" signs of something more serious but Doctors train for 12 years and they might know a thing or two that a LPN somehow missed in their brief 12 months of training or if fast tracked, in only 6-9 months. A Practical Nurse (or anyone other than another doctor who has also assessed the patient) should never offer a patient their opinion or even worse, contradict a doctor's working diagnosis. It's a good way to end up unemployed. Know your place. There is an established hierarchy in every health care system and woe be to those who talk out of turn.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:53 AM
Veteran member

I do not know if this is correct, but I go to the emergency room when this happens. They always see me and I do not have to pay a dime. When one medical professional tells me I am dying and another tells me to wait my turn, I take matters into my own hands.

My wife was told by a doctor that she may have cancer. I took her to the emergency room. It ended up being a bladder infection. That was 35 years ago. Not a single doctor has told her she has cancer since. She remains healthy as a horse. True story.

Last edited by Randall55; 01-21-2024 at 06:21 AM. Reason: .
Old 01-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Veteran member
Default Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano121 View Post
I am going to be kind and just say that I am very disappointed with TVHS.. My current Doctor (for some reason... money?) refuses to see me regarding an ailment that the Practical Nurse says could be "Serious". I have been ill now for almost two months. Getting the required imaging is taking a month. I know the "Snowbirds are here but I live here year round. Shouldn't that account for something?

Anyway, can anyone, please, recommend a Doctor that is responsive, please!
I needed an MRI and called Shands and 3 days later it was done. My wife needed an MRI called Lake Imaging and was told there would be a 3 week wait. She called Rayus and got it done the next day. My neighbor needed a CAT scan and was told 2 weeks by Lake. I mentioned my wife's experiance and he called Rayus and got in the same day. Lake Imaging is convenient but there are other options. Rayus has offices throughout the US.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

We are both on the advantage plan with TVHS. Nothing but great care. There has to be more to the original story.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,180 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I thought ACA was supposed to fix that? I guess they didn’t read it did they?
Apparently you didn't read the ACA. It is a law to provide care and establish minimum levels of coverage for private, not governmental, health plans. You know the ones you or your employer buy. It forced insurance to cover women, ignore pre-existing conditions, cover mammograms and colonoscopies, cover your children to age 26, the list goes on.

But it did not change Medicare, or supplements. Now if you think that supplements are too expensive, guess how much the government controls that cost. Zero. They are sold by the private insurance industry and are not part of Medicare.

Now the ACA did impact Medicare Advantage plans cutting the payment to them as they were making too much of a profit and a few other tweaks including lowering the cost of the "donut hole" for seniors and some adjustments in Medicare taxes for high earners.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

I have Medicare Advantage so there is no need to buy a supplemental policy or dental and vision insurance.

For those of you that have traditional Medicare and medigap, what does a medigap policy cost??

And if you have dental or vision, how much is that?
Old 01-22-2024, 07:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I have Medicare Advantage so there is no need to buy a supplemental policy or dental and vision insurance.

For those of you that have traditional Medicare and medigap, what does a medigap policy cost??

And if you have dental or vision, how much is that?

I have Medicare Supplemental in MA, which is different than most states, as it doesn't allow Insurers to sell their "low cost - low coverage" policies. My Supplemental costs about $115/month.

Here are the various levels of Supplementals you can get. Not all are available in all states.

Compare Medigap Plan Benefits | Medicare
Old 01-22-2024, 08:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I have Medicare Supplemental in MA, which is different than most states, as it doesn't allow Insurers to sell their "low cost - low coverage" policies. My Supplemental costs about $115/month.

Here are the various levels of Supplementals you can get. Not all are available in all states.

Compare Medigap Plan Benefits | Medicare

I went online and found this tool. Medicare is very complicated. There are a lot of different plans but it appears that the monthly price ranges from $68 a month to $369 a month. This is in addition to your part B premium.

Find a Medicare plan
Old 01-22-2024, 08:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I went online and found this tool. Medicare is very complicated. There are a lot of different plans but it appears that the monthly price ranges from $68 a month to $369 a month. This is in addition to your part B premium.

Find a Medicare plan
The plan you select, should be dependent on your anticipated needs in the coming year. Once you're on a program, you can always change it (upgrade). The worst that can happen, is you're behind for 9 months or so, until the next enrollment cycle, when you can change (upgrade) plans (at least that's how it's been explained to me).
Old 01-23-2024, 10:17 AM
Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Please specify what you mean by TVHS. I am enrolled in The Villages Health System (the official system owned / operated by the developer). In my experience there is no way your scenario would happen there.

You must be lucky or very healthy. Thank you for your post
Old 01-23-2024, 10:20 AM
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
As a retired ER/ICU RN, paramedic supervisor, and county coroner let me just state that almost all LPN's know just enough to be dangerous. Note that you also quoted her/him as saying "could be". Yes, pretty much every ache, pain, dizzy spell, upset stomach, heartburn, etc "could be" signs of something more serious but Doctors train for 12 years and they might know a thing or two that a LPN somehow missed in their brief 12 months of training or if fast tracked, in only 6-9 months. A Practical Nurse (or anyone other than another doctor who has also assessed the patient) should never offer a patient their opinion or even worse, contradict a doctor's working diagnosis. It's a good way to end up unemployed. Know your place. There is an established hierarchy in every health care system and woe be to those who talk out of turn.
Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 01-23-2024, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

Not all advantage plans are the same, some are PPO/open plans. But, my understanding is that TVHS' plan is not.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:28 AM
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
I needed an MRI and called Shands and 3 days later it was done. My wife needed an MRI called Lake Imaging and was told there would be a 3 week wait. She called Rayus and got it done the next day. My neighbor needed a CAT scan and was told 2 weeks by Lake. I mentioned my wife's experiance and he called Rayus and got in the same day. Lake Imaging is convenient but there are other options. Rayus has offices throughout the US.
Thank you!

Tags
doctor, taking, imaging, required, months

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.