Low Blood Pressure

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Veteran member
Default Low Blood Pressure

I have had low blood pressure all my life. Recently it has started causing me some problems. I have the tendency to dehydrate easily and I don't sweat, I overheat. Combine both of those with my low blood pressure and my blood pressure tends to drop suddenly when I get up and move quickly. When I was at my place in The Villages in April, I was walking across the living room, passed out and put the left side of my face through the drywall next to the sliding door. I was very lucky I didn't lose an eye and only had some scrapes and bruises.

I have been working with my doctor to try to increase my blood pressure through lifestyle and diet changes, not drugs. He said jokingly that I need a salt lick in my kitchen. Yes, I need to increase my salt intake, but that is a challenge for me. When growing up, my mother could not use any salt, pepper, or spices when cooking because one of my older sisters had a kidney problem. My parents would salt and pepper their food when on their plates. I am so used to eating food with no salt that adding it to my diet is a bit difficult. If I use any canned items, I am used to the no salt added or low sodium options. Salt appears to be an acquired taste and I have having trouble acquiring a taste for it! My doctor told me to try Gatorade, but I would rather drink out of a mud puddle. I tried forcing some down, but it ended coming back up! I currently exercise about 2 hours a day to increase my pressure. I am open to new ideas and ways to increase my blood pressure. Two weeks ago my pressure was up slightly.

Does anyone else have this problem or have any tips/tricks I could use to increase my blood pressure? I prefer to not be on medication if at all possible.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Location: Brockton-Halifax-Marshfield, MA, Jacksonville, FL, Arlington, TX, Village of Fernandina

Hi, I also have low blood pressure. Staying hydrated is a one of the big ones to keep your blood pressure up. A lot of foods and drinks are diuretics. Stay away from coffee, brown soda, - like coke, green tea, celery, cabbage, etc. You can google to find a bigger list. Also some vitamins can cause fluid loss, like Vitamin C. If you're passing out, you may want to see another Dr. That sounds pretty scarey.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

my pressure runs 70/49 on the norm side lower if i am doing yoga or just relaxing..at work they call me the walking dead.....heat is not my friend. there are meds but i don't even use tylenol..you may want to check your sugar..that can cause bouts of passing out... good luck
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Sage

Drinking fluids (water) increases blood volume fast thereby blood pressure, but I agree with kgentile1010, you need another opinion and aggressively get it under control hopefully without drugs, you can't risk collapsing like you described.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Sage

sorry forgot to mention licorice but only black brings up your pressure and also licorice tea you just have to try some and see how much
Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

My DH has low blood pressure and when he gets exhausted he uses an extract of licorice root that gets him back on track quickly. I get it online. It is called Licorice Solid Extract and is made by Nutricology. The bottle lasts a long time in the fridge as he doesn't have to use it alot and only one 1/4 tsp at most at one time. As he has "cleaned up" his diet and worked to reduce/eliminate sugar and grains and coffee and pop his BP seems to be rising to normal. He also was getting ocular migraines when his BP was low and he hasn't had one for ages. Isn't it fun putting the health puzzle together! So many pieces and so many foods. But at our age, good health is worth it as long as you can maintain the joy. So for him, the joy seems to be in the search and the empowerment that comes with self choosing, and the outcome of feeling better.

LW888
Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

My DH and I were jut talking and he said that he no longer feels deprivation, as he is making the choice himself and it is not something that someone dictated that he "had" to do in order to regain energy and better health. So the self empowerment factor is a big one and needs to be recognized.

His dad always said that it was important for people to ask for the advice or opinion otherwise they would just feel that they were being "told" what to do. My take on it is that I enjoy sharing and often feel compelled to share, but what anyone does with the info is their choice and I have no vested interest in whether anyone follows or not.

As a practitioner, I have found that that has been the single most important principle to keep in mind to avoid burn out. And I have found it works well too with adult children. Everyone is on his/her own path and we can't choose for them. For me that has been the hardest thing to remember when talking to my girls. but at least I'm conscious of it and it seems to be getting easier all the time!

LW888
Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgentile1010 View Post
Hi, I also have low blood pressure. Staying hydrated is a one of the big ones to keep your blood pressure up. A lot of foods and drinks are diuretics. Stay away from coffee, brown soda, - like coke, green tea, celery, cabbage, etc. You can google to find a bigger list. Also some vitamins can cause fluid loss, like Vitamin C. If you're passing out, you may want to see another Dr. That sounds pretty scarey.

I had the same problem during a recent hospital visit.

Have you tried Lean Cuisine dinners and canned soup? They are high in sodium. The downside is they are processed foods.

Just a thought - I personally would buy a blood pressure checker to safeguard yourself.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

I had this experience many years ago....passed out on the New York City subway....NOT fun..luckily I was with a friend. I also do not like salt and do not use it. I went to a doctor....was told to eat potato chips every day....the only salty food I liked. He also told me to eat small amounts thru the day to keep the blood sugar levels more balanced. I kept a few nuts or raisins in my purse, so if I felt like I was getting weak, just eat them and felt better.
Here's a link to foods that raise blood pressure naturally. If you google #8 Tyramine you will get a list of foods that it's in (some cheeses, bananas, pineapple, eggplant, etc) The article is written from the standpoint of what NOT to eat if you have high blood pressure, so you will be looking at it as what you SHOULD eat to raise your blood pressure.

Top 10 Foods That Raise Your Blood Pressure
Old 08-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfierle View Post
I have had low blood pressure all my life.
How low is your blood pressure? The lowest I've had (checked in my doctor's office) was 90/50. And I was enjoying a good day. No problems!

Quote:
Recently it has started causing me some problems. I have the tendency to dehydrate easily and I don't sweat, I overheat. Combine both of those with my low blood pressure and my blood pressure tends to drop suddenly when I get up and move quickly.
I would just drink more water and eat smaller meals. I wouldn't worry about the salt too much. I use very little salt because I don't see it as a solution to low blood pressure. And I don't see low blood pressure as a problem unless it makes me dizzy. If I feel dizzyness coming on I just drink more water.

Getting up: In the morning, before getting up out of bed, for example, sit on the edge of the bed for a few seconds. Then get up slowly. Your blood pressure will rise gradually if you just give it a chance.

Quote:
I have been working with my doctor to try to increase my blood pressure through lifestyle and diet changes, not drugs. He said jokingly that I need a salt lick in my kitchen. Yes, I need to increase my salt intake, but that is a challenge for me. When growing up, my mother could not use any salt, pepper, or spices when cooking because one of my older sisters had a kidney problem. My parents would salt and pepper their food when on their plates. I am so used to eating food with no salt that adding it to my diet is a bit difficult. If I use any canned items, I am used to the no salt added or low sodium options. Salt appears to be an acquired taste and I have having trouble acquiring a taste for it! My doctor told me to try Gatorade, but I would rather drink out of a mud puddle. I tried forcing some down, but it ended coming back up!
I wouldn't worry about the salt too much. Did you get a blood test? Was it normal? Mine was normal and I hardly consume any salt.

Quote:
I currently exercise about 2 hours a day to increase my pressure. I am open to new ideas and ways to increase my blood pressure. Two weeks ago my pressure was up slightly.
Overexercising could be lowering your blood pressure. Your blood pressure will go up while you are exercising, but sometime later it may go lower than usual. I learned this by accident. I noticed that the day after I got a lot of exercise my blood pressure would go lower than usual. After all, exercise is what they recommend for people with high blood pressure. Try exercising for just one hour per day.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Liorice root extract has done it for me. I take 1/4 tsp in the morning and my BP has come up 10 points in a month. Tastes great, too (assuming you like licorice).
Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum member

From reading some of the other posts, it appears that if you have a Street Legal golf cart and drive it on Camino Real, your blood pressure has GOT to go up. Might be a drastic maneuver though. Hope you find something that works.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
From reading some of the other posts, it appears that if you have a Street Legal golf cart and drive it on Camino Real, your blood pressure has GOT to go up. Might be a drastic maneuver though. Hope you find something that works.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe

For higher sodium any prepared products/frozen products, lunch meat. Increasing the sodium causes 2 things- you will be more thirsty thus you will drink more (water is best and not coffee and tea) which will increase the blood volume and increase you blood pressure.

Also many foods you eat out at Restaurants are higher in sodium since most restaurants don't cook from scratch anymore but use frozen or canned products at least to start with. ( do you need a prescription from you doctor to eat out hahahahaha)

Also lunch meats and ham are high in sodium. The trouble with most of the foods high in sodium as a preservative is that many are not that healthy for you but Pizza sure tastes good and Lean Cuisines etc. are very easy to use.

Passing out is not healthy for you either though and can be VERY dangerous! Do rise slowly from a sitting or reclining position! If you get lightheaded lay down and put feet on a pillow to make it higher than your heart....another thing is to sit down and lean forward and have someone gently put pressure down on your back while you put counter pressure against it going up (this is only safe with no back problems). Whenever you black out call the doctor or go the Er and with anytime you hit your head go to the ER....don't want a hidden bleed in the skull!!!

There is a licorice tea by Yogi Tea also which can often be found with supplements or healthy foods in the grocery store. And if you need to...there are meds that can be prescribed.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Having just gone through this same scenario, I'll share my findings. I went to my primary care physician reporting the lightheadedness and "almost" fainting. His initial thought was that it was from my low blood pressure, but he didn't want to rule out heart issues. I had an echocardiogram, ultrasound of the carotid artery and a stress test... all tests were good. So for low blood pressure, the doctor recommend salt pills, or V8 juice. I'm starting with V8 juice and will take it from there. Good luck!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.