Mask Paranoia

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2020, 06:30 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
From the very beginning, it was recommended that those who were infected wear masks to help prevent the spread to others. Health experts have always unequivocally stated that anything other than properly fitted N95 masks will not block the virus.

When it became clearer that asymptomatic people could still be contagious, the thinking evolved that everyone should be masked as a precaution. Wearing a mask helps limit the spread of larger droplets that are emitted when we speak, sneeze, and cough. Outbreaks like the choir practice in Washington show what can happen.

Mask wearing doesn't need to be 100% effective for me to think it's a good idea, nor does it cause me any harm to do so. I also have no issue with other mandatory health and safety codes, OSHA regulations, airport security screening, non-smoking ordinances, or private businesses establishing rules for wearing shirts and shoes.

But then, I'm a rule follower by nature. On a macro level, "live free or die" holds little appeal. On the positive side for those who disagree, my non-confrontational and introverted personality also means I would never speak up to chide someone else in public.
Wow. A voice of reason. So many of the posters on this subject make me cringe.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorejh View Post
We initially were told by the surgeon general and also some of the doctors on the presidents team that wearing masks was unnecessary and that their only value was primarily psychological. They were not lying to you!
Why did they change this? Who knows... maybe to appease a paranoid population? 99% of the face coverings I see are useless. Viruses are microbial. You can not hide from them. How long is it going to take for this ridiculous paranoia about a virus that is 99% survivable to go away? I am somewhat encouraged as I am seeing more and more folks like myself that have discarded the masks.
Go for it. I prefer to try that extra layer. By me wearing the mask, I’m protecting you. How about you wear one and protect me?
And why did they say it’s just the flu and it’ll be gone? It’s not gone....
Old 05-15-2020, 06:44 AM

Personally, I wear a mask at grocery store and retail store, if only out of respect to those who are a bit afraid.

I concur.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
actually, the masks have a useful purpose in the appropriate setting. Yes, viruses are very small, but they are spread in small droplets when a person coughs or sneezes, and even in some cases talking, especially if the spit when pronouncing "p's" the mask will stop them from spreading it to other people. It does little to protect the person wearing the mask

over 99% of all human to human viral transmission occurs indoors. So wearing a mask when you cannot guarantee 6 foot spacing at all times indoors makes some degree of sense. Outdoors they are basically useless. Yet some rec center rules require them outdoors---probably politics vs. Science. Then there are those that seem to live in a mask---driving their car, cart or bicycle, walking, etc. That's fine if it makes them happy, not as fine if they feel obligated to say something to other people not wearing a mask, who clearly have a better understanding of epidemiology than they do.

Personally, i wear a mask at grocery store and retail store, if only out of respect to those who are a bit afraid. I never wear it outdoors since the facts show it is unnecessary. But i don't think anyone should summarily dismiss masks all together.
spot on!!!
Old 05-15-2020, 07:15 AM

We’re on the same page. Totally ridiculous to be out walking or riding a bike with a mask or even in a store for that matter.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

It seems the MANDATE now in the White House all should wear a mask except when at their desk. That is except the President.
Everyone working or VISITING the executive offices are tested daily.
I will continue to wear a mask until I feel comfortable in enclosed areas. No resturant, theaters or squares and NO I'm not even thinking about a cruise or flying.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:31 AM

If someone coughs or sneezes in front of you, would you rather they cough into a mask or without a mask? No mask is perfect but lots of droplets that spray out, will get trapped into a mask. Why such an aversion to wearing them? It’s not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of consideration of others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorejh View Post
We initially were told by the surgeon general and also some of the doctors on the presidents team that wearing masks was unnecessary and that their only value was primarily psychological. They were not lying to you!
Why did they change this? Who knows... maybe to appease a paranoid population? 99% of the face coverings I see are useless. Viruses are microbial. You can not hide from them. How long is it going to take for this ridiculous paranoia about a virus that is 99% survivable to go away? I am somewhat encouraged as I am seeing more and more folks like myself that have discarded the masks.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

my wife and I put on our masks whenever we go into any retail store...what's the big deal?

I got into the habit of always buckling up the seat belt whenever I started up the car way before it became the law....because it made sense and it saves lives

my dad led the Safety Initiatives for a large heavy manufacturing company for most of his professional career...as a kid topics dealing with safety and accidents caused by unsafe actions/conditions and how those accidents changed people's lives forever were often the conversation around the dinner table

I haven't completely emptied my 'bucket list' yet, but I intend to...I'm not scared of this virus, but I choose to play it safe...wearing a mask right now in public makes sense to me...on a number of levels

the experts still don't know what they don't know about this virus
Old 05-15-2020, 07:40 AM

I believe they changed when it became known that people can be infected but asymptomatic.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfl View Post
We’re on the same page. Totally ridiculous to be out walking or riding a bike with a mask or even in a store for that matter.
So you disagree with wearing a mask while driving a car or golf cart?
Old 05-15-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Actually, the masks have a useful purpose in the appropriate setting. Yes, viruses are very small, but they are spread in small droplets when a person coughs or sneezes, and even in some cases talking, especially if the spit when pronouncing "P's" The mask will stop them from spreading it to OTHER people. It does little to protect the person wearing the mask

Over 99% of all human to human viral transmission occurs indoors. So wearing a mask when you cannot guarantee 6 foot spacing at all times indoors makes some degree of sense. Outdoors they are basically useless. Yet some rec center rules require them outdoors---probably politics vs. science. Then there are those that seem to live in a mask---driving their car, cart or bicycle, walking, etc. That's fine if it makes them happy, not as fine if they feel obligated to say something to other people not wearing a mask, who clearly have a better understanding of epidemiology than they do.

Personally, I wear a mask at grocery store and retail store, if only out of respect to those who are a bit afraid. I never wear it outdoors since the facts show it is unnecessary. But I don't think anyone should summarily dismiss masks all together.
Well said …… the mask I wear protects others. I wish others would respect my health.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:26 AM

What don’t you get about this? Common sense tells you that a mask offers everyone more protection from germs than no mask. It’s just not that difficult to figure out.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:27 AM

The mask is a courtesy for others. It does not screen out the virus. It keeps you from spreading the virus to others if you are a carrier.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
No. When Dr Fauici and the CDC told us to skip the mask they already knew the virus spread by droplets from sneezes, coughs etc This has been known about viruses for a long time, before this current pandemic. Nothing changed except they reversed course.
I think, if we remember, at the start of our awareness, in early March, we were asked to not buy the masks, there were few available then, and we were requested to allow the meager supply to be used by medical people in the front lines.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 AM

If you don’t want to wear a mask, DON’T. However respect everyone space. 6 feet and no coughing or sneezing. If you fail to take precautions for all these things you could find yourself in a hurt locker. Just saying.
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, paranoia, 99%, microbial, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.