Matt Lauer had little patience with HHS Secretary

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
You cannot stop planes coming into this country. As you well know, planes do not make direct flights from one country to another, they frequently stop in various destinations on the way to the USA and then into Europe. How are you thinking we are going to stop this virus from traveling across the world?

Also, let's not forget cargo ships which travel from port to port picking up and delivering, their staff go off the ship in these ports and come into contact with many virus'/infections which then go back onto the ship and continue on to their next port of call.

There is no easy fix for this problem and I don't think we know anything about how to stop it spreading, and I'm sure if the Government knew how to contain it they would gladly do so. It is going to end up costing thousands of dollars before this is done.
Each person originating from an infected area of the world and/or stopping there have a stamp on their passport. Using this information, each of those individuals could be quarantined upon their arrival to the U.S. If they don't want to be quarantined, then they have that choice by not attempting entry to the states.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Blah, blah, blah, blah....anything but answer the questions. Even after Lauer stop her and said, "Madam Secretary, with all due respect, you did not answer my question" she continued with more blah, blah blah. I was really disappointed that Lauer didn't call her on that. He really should have asked, "So do you intend to answer my question or not?"

As much as he appeared to be a bit impatient, it was really a pretty weak interview. As far as "with all due respect" he should have given her as much respect as she gave his questions. After not answering him twice, he should have lit into her. Politicians don't answer questions and and reporters continue to allow them to get away with it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Closing airports in England and France to flights from Africa is just another political ploy which makes them look good to their citizens, they can close off direct flights to their airports and what about the airports in Europe where they can easily get off one plane and get on another from Turkey, Spain, Germany, Greece, Italy and come into England and France? Plus, let us not forget that the European passport will let you cross borders from one country to another.

Ebola is a plague, just like any of the other plague. It thrives in filth, open sewers, body fluids from one person to another. What we really need to do is find the antibiotic to help to control it and I am sure this is #1 in the science field.

What I think we ought to do with Ebola is bottle it - drop it on Isis and sit back and wait ............... this is tongue in cheek ............ not serious, but wishful thinking on my part!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Closing airports in England and France to flights from Africa is just another political ploy which makes them look good to their citizens, they can close off direct flights to their airports and what about the airports in Europe where they can easily get off one plane and get on another from Turkey, Spain, Germany, Greece, Italy and come into England and France? Plus, let us not forget that the European passport will let you cross borders from one country to another.

Ebola is a plague, just like any of the other plague. It thrives in filth, open sewers, body fluids from one person to another. What we really need to do is find the antibiotic to help to control it and I am sure this is #1 in the science field.

What I think we ought to do with Ebola is bottle it - drop it on Isis and sit back and wait ............... this is tongue in cheek ............ not serious, but wishful thinking on my part!

A virus does not respond to an antibiotic. The spread has nothing to do with filth. It is a microorganism that is 90 percent deadly to those who are infected. There is a way to keep people safer other than taking their temperatures at airports.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
Many of us "spoke" here recently of dangerous days to come. They are here and I am grateful of my Faith.
I agree with MANY of the comments on this post! My take too is "fear is a way of control" as well! In the Bible it speaks of a plague in the 'last days'...many had thought that HIV might be that plague but......
Just wondering!!

Shrandell...I too am grateful for my Faith!!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Madelaine Amee;953224]Closing airports in England and France to flights from Africa is just another political ploy which makes them look good to their citizens, they can close off direct flights to their airports and what about the airports in Europe where they can easily get off one plane and get on another from Turkey, Spain, Germany, Greece, Italy and come into England and France? Plus, let us not forget that the European passport will let you cross borders from one country to another.

Why wouldn't the previous post of not allowing anyone in the country that has a stamp on their passport from Liberia be denied entrance to the US work? I'm sure word would spread like wildfire "don't try to get in the US". At least it is something better than taking people's temperatures and relying on them to be truthful. We saw how that worked out with Mr. Duncan.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM

What would make you happy ? What would you suggest?
The news organizations are doing a great job playing monday morning quaterbacks.
Perhaps they shopuld go back to just reporting the news.
To many with opinions of their own with very little to back them up.
I think everyone is doing the best they can in a situation that we have never faced before. .
JS Flynn
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

But it isn't the first time that we have faced large numbers of people who may have been exposed to highly contagious diseases. Ellis Island and other "receiving stations" were created for just that purpose.

Two things happened. We became convinced that everything could be cured with a pill or a shot. And the politicats decided that having a large Public Health Service cost too much. So... in the late 60s and 70s, PHS was mostly dismantled, clinics, offices, and hospitals closed. CDC was expected to be able to sit back and handle the few cases of infectious diseases that made to the US.

Sound like hubris? It is. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Each person originating from an infected area of the world and/or stopping there have a stamp on their passport. Using this information, each of those individuals could be quarantined upon their arrival to the U.S. If they don't want to be quarantined, then they have that choice by not attempting entry to the states.
Yes, Indy, but the stamps are not placed in any particular order. I'm looking at my passport now, and it took me a good while to find the stamp from last night in Miami when we came home from Europe. On the first page, for instance, are stamps from 2008, 2012, 2013. Next page has two from '14. Page after that is '09. Page after that is '13. In 2000, when we drove from Italy to Switzerland, the Swiss didn't even stamp our passports at the border. They looked, but they didn't stamp. And some of the stamps are barely legible because the ink needed to be changed in the stamper or they stamped across the fold.

There's usually 350-500 people coming off a plane from overseas. It would be a logistical nightmare to find where each person had been by checking their passports. And like somebody else mentioned, you could have been in Africa, flown to, say, Amsterdam, waited a day or two, changed airlines/itineraries altogether and come to the states.

If I were someone getting sick in Africa, I would lie, dissemble, use whatever means possible to get to a first-world country where the absolute best medical care would be available.

Perhaps keeping planes from these African countries from landing in the states would look good and ease people's fear; I personally don't believe it would stop the spread.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The person being interviewed is the head of Health and Human Services not the CDC. That to me is somewhat a relief. I am sorry that I posted incorrectly.

She sure wasn't a person that I would put my trust in.

I walked in after the beginning of the interview and incorrectly surmised she was in charge of the CDC.

She is "Madame Secretary" because she is in charge of Health and Human Services I don't like her.

HHS secretary on Ebola: 'I do have confidence in the CDC' - Video on TODAY.com
Cdc head is apologetic for being reactive vs proactive. Potus talked to him 40 seconds and went golfing after 1 st nurse victim identified.
Gov is joke upon joke. Spokesperson for WH looks like a complete idiot still, today, we are a laughingstock, sitting duck and a mockery of democracy.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:55 PM

Customs scans the bar code. Wouldn't first point of entry in USA know where you were the past 21 days?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddie101 View Post
Customs scans the bar code. Wouldn't first point of entry in USA know where you were the past 21 days?
m
YES!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Some countries don't scan. Your history would then not show up upon entry into the US. For instance, nobody knew we left Italy and entered Switzerland--nothing stamped or scanned when we left one and entered the other.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.