Mattress recommendation-back pain, shoulder pain

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2023, 02:05 PM
Default Mattress recommendation-back pain, shoulder pain

Not sure where this post should go but here seems about as good as any.

I need a new mattress. I'm a side sleeper with scoliosis and i have been waking up with shoulder pain. I cant have a mattress that breaks down in the middle. I haven't found any good reviews on any mattress. I'm even thinking of making my own mattress but not sure any of the latex padding found on the market is worth doing so. Any recommendations?
Old 07-08-2023, 03:54 PM

Have you tried Certo? It's an old home remedy. Certo is fruit pectin used for making jam and jelly. It's in the canning isle.

Mix 2 teaspoons of Certo in 3 ounces of grape juice. Take it 3 three times a day. It comes in a foil pouch and is the texture of honey. Keep unused in the refrigerator. It will thicken when cold. You don't need the grape juice, but it muffles the taste of Certo and makes it easier to take.

I know it sounds crazy, but it can't hurt and it doesn't cost much. Try it for 10-14 days. See if it helps.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

FINALLY FOUND THE REAL DEAL.... Saatva Classic .
Absolutely works Great FOR ME.

Tried
.............Regular Coil Spring ........................... NOPE
...........................Temper Pedic........ Somewhat Better
.........................................Sleep Number DANG..... That was NICE

Then a Friend Suggested the>>>>>>> SAATVA CLASSIC......... WOWZER...
OPTED FOR THE 15 INCH DEPTH ... MEDIUM FIRM ...
No longer have Back or Shoulder Pain I Also am a Side Sleeper.

The REAL Temper Pedic and the REAL Sleep Number are happily used in
Guest Bedrooms.

BY THE WAY... The Saatva Classic has been Voted the Best Mattress for 2023
Old 07-08-2023, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,098 Times in 2,753 Posts

We are huge fans of 100% latex mattresses. We have the same setup at both of our homes and notice a big difference when we travel and have to sleep on anything else. Our beds have 3 layers of latex mattresses, one each medium, firm, and extra firm. You can play with the layering configuration to get the firmness that fits you best. The mattresses are very heavy, so you need a heavy duty bed frame with a solid bottom to support them. No box spring required. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:53 PM
Veteran member
Default Mattress ... Saatva brand

Here is a link to the Review for the SAATVA CLASSIC Mattress

Saatva Mattress Review 2023 - CNET

My favorite part of This Mattress ....... Shop Online ...THEY BRING TO YOUR HOME ... SET IT UP >
WHITE GLOVE DELIVERY IS FREE WITH PURCHASE. They Even took The Other Old Mattress and
Set it up in a Guest Bedroom. AND took the Old Guest Bedroom Mattress to Garage.
ALL I HAD TO DO WAS BE HOME AND ANSWER THE DOOR.

Last edited by mrfixit; 07-08-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 05:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,133 Times in 813 Posts

Here's where mattresses from Costo shines.
Pick your mattress, they deliver, they take your old one with no cost to you.

My son bought one at a great price.
Their dog had a accident on it almost to the year.
He called Costo for a replacement, no question asked.
Old 07-08-2023, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

We went a couple of months ago to OriginalMattress F actory on highway 27 and got one of their medium (not too firm, not too soft) rated at a 56 on their scale as I recall. Heavy duty springs. A tad too firm so my wife got a topper (link below). I love it, she does too (and that's what mostly counts anyway). I have bad back issues and this has helped tremendously. Good luck, mattresses are a tough topic.

Amazon.com
Old 07-08-2023, 05:35 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

I too am a side sleeper who had shoulder pain but I found it was not the mattress but the pillow. I got this Eli and Elm pillow and it made a big difference
Best Cotton Side Sleeper Pillow | Eli & Elm
Old 07-08-2023, 06:28 PM

I am a side sleeper and went to a chiropractor for back pain. I mentioned to him that I thought I needed a new mattress. He responded it is most likely not the mattress. Instead put a pillow between the knees at night. I purchased a knee pillow at Kohls. Back problems completely went away. I don't know about shoulder pain.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:33 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

I have the Layla and love it. It has two side, one side soft and flip side is little more firm. I have have it for 4 years and it is still like new. I do rotate it every six months
Old 07-08-2023, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,540 Times in 3,116 Posts

SleepNumber was the perfect solution for us. I have osteoporosis and osteoarthritis in my hips and spine, and degenerative disk disease in my lower spine. I sleep all over the place, back, side, other side, stomach. But I sleep well, and whenever one of my joints is bothering me I can adjust the firmness to accommodate the change with the touch of a button on the remote. Another great thing is that it's super light-weight, so changing the linens is easy and stress-free. Lastly, hubby gets the firmness he likes on his side, while I get what I like on mine. And it's just a queen, not a split king. They sell those too but they're hella expensive. We have a lower-end model, the C4.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,098 Times in 2,753 Posts

[QUOTE=Arlington2;2233313]I am a side sleeper and went to a chiropractor for back pain. I mentioned to him that I thought I needed a new mattress. He responded it is most likely not the mattress. Instead put a pillow between the knees at night. I purchased a knee pillow at Kohls. Back problems completely went away. I don't know about shoulder pain.[/

My chiropractor recommended the same thing, a thin pillow between the legs when on the side and then put it under the knees/thighs when on the back. Also use a chiroflow water filled pillow to support my always sore neck. The neck pillow is a game changer for someone like me who has managed to fracture vertebrae in my neck on a couple occasions.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:14 AM

I also have scoliosis and shoulder and neck pain. I highly recommend Saavta! They deliver with white gloves! Read the reviews.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:18 AM
Default A Great Mattress for Older Backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Not sure where this post should go but here seems about as good as any.

I need a new mattress. I'm a side sleeper with scoliosis and i have been waking up with shoulder pain. I cant have a mattress that breaks down in the middle. I haven't found any good reviews on any mattress. I'm even thinking of making my own mattress but not sure any of the latex padding found on the market is worth doing so. Any recommendations?
Over the years , trying many mattresses, we are most happy with Sleep Number. Changing the firmness whenever needed is perfect for those days when your back demands more love.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:39 AM

One person's perfect mattress is another person's nightmare. Here's what works for my wife and me. We purchased a Sleep Number bed some 10 years ago. We didn't get the top of the line, but one in the middle of the line. Each sides firmness can be set individually. She likes it like a board, I like it like a hammock. I used to have back issues after a night's sleep. But after purchasing the Sleep Number mattress/bed and adjusting to my comfort, I've had no issues. Their technology works, and their product is top notch. The mattress does not lose it's setting over time.
Closed Thread

Tags
mattress, pain, found, good, shoulder

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.