Mattress recommendation-back pain, shoulder pain

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2023, 08:33 AM

I have similar problems. Get a TULO mattress from Matress Firm. Our King cost only $450 and is the best mattress we ever had. Memory foam words.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Not sure where this post should go but here seems about as good as any.

I need a new mattress. I'm a side sleeper with scoliosis and i have been waking up with shoulder pain. I cant have a mattress that breaks down in the middle. I haven't found any good reviews on any mattress. I'm even thinking of making my own mattress but not sure any of the latex padding found on the market is worth doing so. Any recommendations?
TRY ZINUS I slept on one in TV last year and I swear I never moved plus I was NOT achy anymore !! They have pressure reliving ones...it was also green tea and cooling 12" size.........I cant wait to get one myself when I get there......
Old 07-09-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:

I need a new mattress. I'm a side sleeper with scoliosis and i have been waking up with shoulder pain. I cant have a mattress that breaks down in the middle. I haven't found any good reviews on any mattress. I'm even thinking of making my own mattress but not sure any of the latex padding found on the market is worth doing so. Any recommendations?
I have back problems and I love my Purple mattress.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:

I have same issues. Scoliosis, osteoarthritis, disc issues and old shoulder injury. I just bought a sleep number two months ago. I have been sleeping so well!!! I usually can only sleep on my back and right side, but now, with the top of the bed at a small angle, I can sleep on my left too! My body loves this bed. I got the lowest level bed that has the least foam. I would rather add my own layers and swap them out if they begin to sag. I bought their 1 inch cooling/heating topper pad which has been worth every penny for me. I haven’t slept hot for two months! If you want to save money on the adjustable base, you can buy one separately from another company. I just bought it all from sleep number to make it easier.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

I hope the OP has a lot of money. So far, 15 different mattresses have been recommended on this thread.

Consumer Reports, which is supposed to be an independent product testing and rating company, rates the Avocado Green mattress as the best. I had never heard of it. Does anyone have one?

I would like to upgrade my mattress, but I am very confused by all the ads and claims. I have been sleeping on an el cheapo mattress that I bought from City Furniture 7 years ago, and it still seems fine.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I hope the OP has a lot of money. So far, 15 different mattresses have been recommended on this thread.

Consumer Reports, which is supposed to be an independent product testing and rating company, rates the Avocado Green mattress as the best. I had never heard of it. Does anyone have one?

I would like to upgrade my mattress, but I am very confused by all the ads and claims. I have been sleeping on an el cheapo mattress that I bought from City Furniture 7 years ago, and it still seems fine.
We liked the mattress at the Renaissance hotel we stayed at so we bought one of those from their online store Shop Collect Renaissance | Discover The Renaissance Bed, Hotel Bedding, Hemstitch Sheets, Tokyo Milk and More. It is very much just personal preference. There is no one right mattress for everyone. Many brands offer 30 day trials but I don't understand how that works.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:

I am a side sleeper with a 25+ year history of low back pain including 2 surgeries.
When we moved to TV almost 2 years ago we purchased a Sleep Number mattress and platform (box spring). Ours is second to the top of the line and we are very happy with it. Sleep number has a test bed you can lay on and see your “hot spots” and what number eliminates those. In other words you’ll find out if you neeed a soft or firm mattress.
In the past we have had natural latex mattresses from Foam Source in Boulder, Colorado and those are great as well but are very heavy.
Good luck.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:55 AM
Default A Second for Relax in Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
If you decide to look at Sleep Number beds, you might also want to check out Relax in Comfort in Sumter Landing. Less expensive and more versatile in the areas that count. And GREAT service after the sale.
We have had a Relax in Comfort split king adjustable bed for 10 years and highly recommend. We did have one of the air bladders replaced but was under warranty with no hassle. When I have hip pain it is easy to adjust the bed to a softer support. Pillow between knees never worked for me.

Regarding the individual who reported using a pillow to support her arm, I also use a small thick pillow to support my right arm. Works great to relieve the tendinitis in the upper arm.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:56 AM
Default Anecdote

Quote:
i have been waking up with shoulder pain.
Possibly unrelated, but I used to be able to sleep on my sides with my shoulder under my pillow, but now that will lead to shoulder pain.

I don't like sleeping with my arms at my side nor sleeping with a pillow between my knees nor not being able to sleep on my stomach at all anymore, but these concessions allow me to live with considerably less pain. Any "firm enough" mattress seems to get the job done.

Fascinating thread, though. :-)
Old 07-09-2023, 12:02 PM
Default Mattress

I have the same problem and years ago i purchased a Schiffman mattress. Hand made in NJ. Very expensive but none better.
Old 07-09-2023, 01:50 PM

A foam mattress from Walmart works really well for me. Same problem as you.
Old 07-09-2023, 02:50 PM
Thumbs up Eli & Elm Recommendation

Based on your description (I have same issues) and convenient link I read the reviews and purchased a side pillow with extra fill on sale. Can return in 45 days, so a no brainer. Really hoping this works for my neck and shoulder pain, especially in the mornings!

Eli & Elm[/url][/QUOTE]
Old 07-09-2023, 02:55 PM

As long as you DON'T GO to Relax in Comfort on Canal Street.
Old 07-09-2023, 04:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
FINALLY FOUND THE REAL DEAL.... Saatva Classic .
Absolutely works Great FOR ME.

Tried
.............Regular Coil Spring ........................... NOPE
...........................Temper Pedic........ Somewhat Better
.........................................Sleep Number DANG..... That was NICE

Then a Friend Suggested the>>>>>>> SAATVA CLASSIC......... WOWZER...
OPTED FOR THE 15 INCH DEPTH ... MEDIUM FIRM ...
No longer have Back or Shoulder Pain I Also am a Side Sleeper.

The REAL Temper Pedic and the REAL Sleep Number are happily used in
Guest Bedrooms.

BY THE WAY... The Saatva Classic has been Voted the Best Mattress for 2023
Agree with Saatva. We bought one about 7 years ago. We were hesitant, but after buying a 5,000 mistake (Tempur Pedic ), we researched Saatva and gave it a try. We got the firm. It's extremely firm but we like it. The bonus was that it didn’t start to sag until about the 4th year. Better than any other other mattress we’ve ever had.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:32 AM
Sage

Ask a question and you'll get a plethora of answers and probably none will be helpful, as you may experience here.
I've long had back issues and a chiropractor asked me what position I slept in. Back then I was solely a tummy-sleeper. He told me that's really bad for a back and suggested trying to sleep on my back. The transition was difficult but it worked. I still have back issues due to degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis and and rheumatoid arthritis. Some years ago we invested in a cool-foam topper and that works great! I think it's a 3" one, ordered from Wayfair. If/when we purchase a new mattress my choice would be the Mattress Factory (I think that's the name). I believe they're in Orlando---haven't investigated the "where" yet. But they make it in house and probably to your budget. I also prefer a pillow that I can "fluff". I started out in life with a down pillow and had them for many years. Not sure what happened to ours but I replaced them with the kind that is similar but not with feathers inside. I've become a pillow-snob as all those expensive fancy ones don't work. One time, I did buy one for around $100.00 and ended up getting rid of it pretty quickly. It was sold by a chiropractor who once practiced here and had many negative reports made about him. Won't name names but he used to be discussed on this forum. He left the area, as far as I know. Good luck in finding what will work for you!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
mattress, pain, found, good, shoulder

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.