Mattress recommendation-back pain, shoulder pain

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Ask a question and you'll get a plethora of answers and probably none will be helpful, as you may experience here.
I've long had back issues and a chiropractor asked me what position I slept in. Back then I was solely a tummy-sleeper. He told me that's really bad for a back and suggested trying to sleep on my back. The transition was difficult but it worked. I still have back issues due to degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis and and rheumatoid arthritis. Some years ago we invested in a cool-foam topper and that works great! I think it's a 3" one, ordered from Wayfair. If/when we purchase a new mattress my choice would be the Mattress Factory (I think that's the name). I believe they're in Orlando---haven't investigated the "where" yet. But they make it in house and probably to your budget. I also prefer a pillow that I can "fluff". I started out in life with a down pillow and had them for many years. Not sure what happened to ours but I replaced them with the kind that is similar but not with feathers inside. I've become a pillow-snob as all those expensive fancy ones don't work. One time, I did buy one for around $100.00 and ended up getting rid of it pretty quickly. It was sold by a chiropractor who once practiced here and had many negative reports made about him. Won't name names but he used to be discussed on this forum. He left the area, as far as I know. Good luck in finding what will work for you!!!!
I could put a topper on my current bed but my issue is the middle sags causing misalignment with my back. I'm wondering if putting plywood under the mattress would help. I don't trust any mattress on the market quite frankly and thats $2000 i can leave in the market. Yes, I am a hillbilly.....
Old 07-10-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Cink View Post
I sleep on my left side, left arm under the pillow. I developed pain in the upside shoulder, the right one. I realized, while I was sleeping, my right arm "drooped" down and rested on the mattress, putting the right shoulder in a strained position. I started tucking a thick pillow against my chest so the right arm could rest on it, preventing the shoulder from dropping down. It made all the difference. I also use a pillow between the knees. My hubby teases that I'm "building my fort"!
LOL, it feels like building a fort these days. I sleep on the right side mostly but which ever side i sleep on, that arm hurts. It feels like it smashes into the mattress from my weight on it. I think maybe the middle sagging of the mattress puts additional stress on it somehow. I sleep with two pillows under my right side as my back curves to the right so I'm trying to align my spine. My pillow is thick to try to lift my head to align my spine to accommodate the lifting of my back by the two pillows. When i fall asleep, my neck is aligned with my spine and i feel comfy however by morning its another story. i cant keep a pillow between my knees. Sometimes the bed covers are in a bunch from my tossing and turning. I doubt there is a mattress to help. I have a tempur pedic which is very firm but my 35 year old daughter says it hurts her joints too. What i can say about tempur pedic is it doesnt bow in the middle and its not bouncy, its very stable. Mine is 10 years old buti bet they arent even made as well today. Its a king size but i want a queen or id put a topper on it and sleep on it. I may try one of those again. The trials and tribulations of aging.....

Last edited by Gigi3000; 07-10-2023 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2023, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
LOL, it feels like building a fort these days. I sleep on the right side mostly but which ever side i sleep on, that arm hurts. It feels like it smashes into the mattress from my weight on it. I think maybe the middle sagging of the mattress puts additional stress on it somehow. I sleep with two pillows under my right side as my back curves to the right so I'm trying to align my spine. My pillow is thick to try to lift my head to align my spine to accommodate the lifting of my back by the two pillows. When i fall asleep, my neck is aligned with my spine and i feel comfy however by morning its another story. i cant keep a pillow between my knees. Sometimes the bed covers are in a bunch from my tossing and turning. I doubt there is a mattress to help. I have a temper pedic which is very firm but my 35 year old daughter says it hurts her joints too. What i can say about temper pedic is it doesnt bow in the middle and its not bouncy, its very stable. Mine is 10 years old buti bet they arent even made as well today. Its a king size but i want a queen or id put a topper on it and sleep on it. I may try one of those again. The trials and tribulations of aging.....
Be careful that you are not torking your neck up with two pillows. Sometimes straining your neck can result in pain that shoots down your arm.
Old 07-10-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Be careful that you are not torking your neck up with two pillows. Sometimes straining your neck can result in pain that shoots down your arm.
The two pillows are under my mid back , under my right side, to align spine but i see what you're saying.

Last edited by Gigi3000; 07-10-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Not sure where this post should go but here seems about as good as any.

I need a new mattress. I'm a side sleeper with scoliosis and i have been waking up with shoulder pain. I cant have a mattress that breaks down in the middle. I haven't found any good reviews on any mattress. I'm even thinking of making my own mattress but not sure any of the latex padding found on the market is worth doing so. Any recommendations?
I’m a side sleeper with arthritis and stenosis. I struggled to find the right mattress until I found Sleep Number. You can adjust the firmness to fit your pain level day to day. It’s more expensive, but it has provided me the best sleep out of all the mattresses I’ve had.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

i use a select comfort, & it's the best for my back issues. you won't be disappointed
Old 07-11-2023, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i use a select comfort, & it's the best for my back issues. you won't be disappointed
and a COOP brand pillow!!
Old 07-11-2023, 11:59 AM

My two cents, I don't have any issues, other than age...

We bought a Nectar mattress on a number of folks recommendations. About $1,000. Not bad, but it's a little soft for me.

When we did the guest room I found this one, highly rated on Amazon: Vibe Gel Memory Foam Mattress, 12-Inch CertiPUR-US Certified Bed-in-a-Box.

$300 for the queen, less than $500 for the king. I figured it would be good enough for a couple of nights that a guest would be using it.

Everyone that sleeps on it likes it. I got COVID back in November, so I used it until the wife let me back in. I liked it better than the Nectar. My kids bought it for their guest room, and it's what we sleep on when we are there.

The price alone might make you want to consider it. Good luck, mattress shopping stinks.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Not sure where this post should go but here seems about as good as any.

I need a new mattress. I'm a side sleeper with scoliosis and i have been waking up with shoulder pain. I cant have a mattress that breaks down in the middle. I haven't found any good reviews on any mattress. I'm even thinking of making my own mattress but not sure any of the latex padding found on the market is worth doing so. Any recommendations?
We also went to original mattress factory. Great mattress.
Old 10-31-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We are huge fans of 100% latex mattresses. We have the same setup at both of our homes and notice a big difference when we travel and have to sleep on anything else. Our beds have 3 layers of latex mattresses, one each medium, firm, and extra firm. You can play with the layering configuration to get the firmness that fits you best. The mattresses are very heavy, so you need a heavy duty bed frame with a solid bottom to support them. No box spring required. Good luck with your search.
How long have you slept in it and where did you buy the latex? Ive thought of buying layers of latex with mattress cover and laying on top of my box spring
Old 10-31-2023, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
How long have you slept in it and where did you buy the latex? Ive thought of buying layers of latex with mattress cover and laying on top of my box spring
We bought or first 100% Latex mattress in 2006 when we built our new log home up north. We love sleeping on it so much we bought the exact same mattress setup again in 2015 when we bought our home in the Villages. Both mattresses still feel like they are brand new today. We bought the three layer setup online from a company called “foam sweet foam” and their website is foamsweetfoam.com. The three layers of the mattress come delivered to your home individually rolled up and compressed in a vacuum sealed shrink wrapping. They are very heavy and require two people to set them up. It’s best to have a heavy duty platform bed frame, without a box spring, to put the three layer mattress on. We have three friends who wanted to lay on our mattress to test it out who all ended up buying the same setup and are very happy they did. Hope this helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
mattress, pain, found, good, shoulder

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.