Medical Care for Snowflakes & Snowbirds

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Default Medical Care for Snowflakes & Snowbirds

Hello all. We recently purchased a new home in the Village of Pinellas and will be going back and forth for about a year. How do retired part-timers (snowflakes I think you call them) get medical care if it should be needed while in TV?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Platinum member

While we were at United Health Care Office in Sumter, they explained a program they have.
Tampa, FL

Last edited by Avista; 10-13-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

our insurance does not cover us while we are in TV so hoping nothing happens
Old 10-13-2013, 01:12 PM

I have Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield. Can't I go anywhere if needed?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

have used Paramount Urgent Care 8640 CR 466 The Villages, FL 32162 352-674-9218but there are other such centers around the villages
just call to see it they take your insurance before you go there. paramount has new patient forms on-line which you can print out and complete before you get there!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScoodlepoops View Post
We recently purchased a new home in the Village of Pinellas and will be going back and forth for about a year. How do retired part-timers (snowflakes I think you call them) get medical care if it should be needed while in TV?
You haven't provided your ages and your current insurance coverage. These are very important factors that will determine what is best for you.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Sage

Before we moved here, we met with an independent insurance agent who shared what plans would work in our home state and in FL. You can meet with one of those here as well to find out what your options would be. I personally wouldn't rely on the idea that "maybe" something wouldn't happen. LIFE can be full of unexpected 'surprises'....!!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:44 PM

Thank you for the responses. We are 69 and 66 and have Medicare and BCBS of South Carolina.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScoodlepoops View Post
Thank you for the responses. We are 69 and 66 and have Medicare and BCBS of South Carolina.
But is your BCBS an advantage plan or a supplemental plan? Makes a big difference. You should check with them to see if you are covered out of your home area and at what additional cost if you have an advantage plan.

We went with a supplemental when traveling back and forth between MI and FL as there would have been additional cost to us for being out of network with an advantage plan. One of us has a pre-existing condition, and we don't want to have our access to doctors limited in any way, so we pay extra for a supplemental plan that pays for any doctor. It's peace of mind for us.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Platinum member

When I first arrived I utilized Lake Regional Urgent Care, Lake Sumter Landing, 910 Old Camp Rd, Ste 114, 352-259-4322, Hours Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fridays 8:30AM-7PM; Wed, Sat, Sundays 8:30AM-5PM.

They accepted Medicare and my federal Blue Cross Blue Shield. I was suffering from major spine issues. They are one of the urgent care facilities in the area that can prescribe the major pain medications. Many won't.

There are several doctors who rotate having duty there, but with computerized records they get to know you if you have multiple visits.

One alternative is The Villages Hospital Emergency Room, which I used once when even major drugs wouldn't ease the pain and urgent care wasn't open. The ER is a last resort. they are SLOW. I stood in the ER for hours (my spine pain was worse if I sat) with tears running down my face waiting to be seen for a quick shot which immediately eased my pain. I have since had spine surgery and occasionally take Tylenol.

I now have a primary care doctor, etc. but would go to Lake Regional Urgent Care for an urgent issue if my primary care doctor couldn't see me.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
When I first arrived I utilized Lake Regional Urgent Care, Lake Sumter Landing, 910 Old Camp Rd, Ste 114, 352-259-4322, Hours Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fridays 8:30AM-7PM; Wed, Sat, Sundays 8:30AM-5PM.

They accepted Medicare and my federal Blue Cross Blue Shield. I was suffering from major spine issues. They are one of the urgent care facilities in the area that can prescribe the major pain medications. Many won't.

There are several doctors who rotate having duty there, but with computerized records they get to know you if you have multiple visits.

One alternative is The Villages Hospital Emergency Room, which I used once when even major drugs wouldn't ease the pain and urgent care wasn't open. The ER is a last resort. they are SLOW. I stood in the ER for hours (my spine pain was worse if I sat) with tears running down my face waiting to be seen for a quick shot which immediately eased my pain. I have since had spine surgery and occasionally take Tylenol.

I now have a primary care doctor, etc. but would go to Lake Regional Urgent Care for an urgent issue if my primary care doctor couldn't see me.
Carlintampa, thank you for that info. We haven't established a doctor down here yet, and it's good to know about this urgent care place. I'm bookmarking this thread.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.