Medicare Premium Increases

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2023, 09:21 AM
Default Medicare Premium Increases

In 2018 when I first retired and started using Medicare, my Medicare supplement plan with Humana was $141 a month. On the anniversary month in 2019, it increased 5%. Every year since then it has increased 10% and now my premium is $211. A 50% increase over 5 years.

I'm curious as to what others are seeing. Is this normal?
Old 07-04-2023, 09:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdmlhw View Post
In 2018 when I first retired and started using Medicare, my Medicare supplement plan with Humana was $141 a month. On the anniversary month in 2019, it increased 5%. Every year since then it has increased 10% and now my premium is $211. A 50% increase over 5 years.

We have UHC PLAN F, $212.36 paid by my employer thru retirement benefit it also increases with age.
Which supplement plan do you have?
Old 07-04-2023, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

What I’m seeing is that Medicare is in my future soon and I can’t wait. The premiums you are stating are a small fraction of what I am currently paying for a very high deductible and maximum out of pocket policy through Obamacare. Furthermore, Medicare has a national network so we will be in network at both our Villages home and our home up north which is the last obstacle that will allow me to establish Florida residency and stop paying state income taxes and qualify for the Florida homestead exemption. Bring it on!
Old 07-04-2023, 10:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Which Medicare Supplemental Plan (lettered plan) do you have? If you have Plan F then take a look at Plan G. The only difference is Plan F includes the Medicare Part B deductible ($226 per year) and Plan G doesn't. When I say "includes the Part B deductibe" I mean you don't pay it. You may find that the difference between the Plan F annual premiums and the Plan G annual premiums is greater than $226 per year, in which case you should switch to Plan G. The only issue should be whether you can pass the underwriting to change plans. Also, Plan N may be even lower cost than Plan G but you may pay up to $20 co-pays and any excess charges but those are generally pretty rare. As with Plan G, it does not include the Part B $226 deductible. There are also some high-deductible plans. Also, Medicare Advantage Plans typically have $0 premiums (but numerous differences from Supplemental Plans).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdmlhw View Post

Old 07-04-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
We have UHC PLAN F, $212.36 paid by my employer thru retirement benefit it also increases with age.
Which supplement plan do you have?
I have G.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
What I’m seeing is that Medicare is in my future soon and I can’t wait. The premiums you are stating are a small fraction of what I am currently paying for a very high deductible and maximum out of pocket policy through Obamacare. Furthermore, Medicare has a national network so we will be in network at both our Villages home and our home up north which is the last obstacle that will allow me to establish Florida residency and stop paying state income taxes and qualify for the Florida homestead exemption. Bring it on!
I’m still several years away from qualifying for Medicare - until then, I am also stuck with the horrible and expensive Obamacare. From the research I’m starting do, I think I will be going with traditional Medicare and add a supplement when the time comes, vs having my medical managed by an insurance company through an “advantage plan” - Will be great to get off of Obamacare and see my monthly medical premiums dramatically reduced when I turn 65.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think Medicare is great. Even when you add the cost of Medicare to the cost of the Supplement, it's still less than half of the price of my wifes insurance which we get through my ex-employer.

This thread was questioning the 10% per year increase I've been seeing over the last 4 years. From what I'm seeing from the few replies I've received so far, $211 isn't that high.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Very happy with our medicare advantage plan,
Old 07-04-2023, 12:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m still several years away from qualifying for Medicare - until then, I am also stuck with the horrible and expensive Obamacare. From the research I’m starting do, I think I will be going with traditional Medicare and add a supplement when the time comes, vs having my medical managed by an insurance company through an “advantage plan” - Will be great to get off of Obamacare and see my monthly medical premiums dramatically reduced when I turn 65.
I recently turned 65, and also was thankful to be rid of Obama care. I concluded my best option was traditional Medicare, a Plan G supplement thru Florida Blue, and prescription insurance through WellCare (online mail order CareMark). So far so good. Good luck when the time comes.
Old 07-04-2023, 01:03 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Medicare premiums are also based on your income which can increase with RMD’S (required minimum distributions) from your IRA’s, 401K’s, etc. Those increases may significantly increase your Medicare premiums.
Old 07-04-2023, 01:08 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Our Medicare cost increases every time our Social Security allowance increases. Never tracked it - it is what it is - we just adjust!

Old 07-04-2023, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I recently turned 65, and also was thankful to be rid of Obama care. I concluded my best option was traditional Medicare, a Plan G supplement thru Florida Blue, and prescription insurance through WellCare (online mail order CareMark). So far so good. Good luck when the time comes.
Does the plan G supplement through Florida Blue limit you to a local network of Florida Blue approved health care providers? I need to wade through the quagmire of alphabet soup supplement options and find the best choice that will allow us to be in network at both our Florida and Massachusetts homes. I would greatly appreciate feedback from those who have navigated the best Medicare and supplement options that allow a national network of health care providers.
Old 07-04-2023, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Does the plan G supplement through Florida Blue limit you to a local network of Florida Blue approved health care providers? I need to wade through the quagmire of alphabet soup supplement options and find the best choice that will allow us to be in network at both our Florida and Massachusetts homes. I would greatly appreciate feedback from those who have navigated the best Medicare and supplement options that allow a national network of health care providers.
Talk to Shine they are the experts
Old 07-04-2023, 02:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

No, you can go anywhere that accepts Medicare. The supplemental plans pick up the costs, after deductible, that Medicare doesn't cover. All supplemental plans from the different providers are the same (a Plan G is a Plan G is a Plan G). Only the premiums differ.

Quote:
Old 07-04-2023, 03:15 PM

Switch to United Health Care AARP Plan G. It hasn't gone up for me.
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, premium, month, increased, retired

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.