Medicare Premium Increases

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2023, 07:51 AM
Default Florida Blue Medicare

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I recently turned 65, and also was thankful to be rid of Obama care. I concluded my best option was traditional Medicare, a Plan G supplement thru Florida Blue, and prescription insurance through WellCare (online mail order CareMark). So far so good. Good luck when the time comes.
We are too young for Medicare and have an ACA Florida Blue plan off Healthcare.gov. It is amazing how many local providers I have called that do not take it. One provider recently dropped Florida Blue - they must have been reimbursing too low. I wonder if Florida Blue is better when it is a Medicare policy. Also our mail order Pharmacy is Amazon Prime Pharmacy.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:57 AM

Our Medicare UHC F Plan Supplement is currently $220.00 each. Yes, it does increase every year, just like everything else it seems.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I could not wait to be 65. My husband retired early and my son went to work so my husband eventually was able to get medicare and my son had his insurance through his job. My coverage alone was over 20 k a year in premiums with a 10 k deductible. I could not use urgent care, only an emergency, or they would not pay. The obamacare thing was horrible and could only get limited insurance because I was in NJ and could only get regular care in NJ and PA. I was able to get medicare, with coverage everywhere when I was eligible and the f plan, which is no longer offered, I believe. The medical care in this country is all screwed up!
Old 07-05-2023, 08:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
What I’m seeing is that Medicare is in my future soon and I can’t wait. The premiums you are stating are a small fraction of what I am currently paying for a very high deductible and maximum out of pocket policy through Obamacare. Furthermore, Medicare has a national network so we will be in network at both our Villages home and our home up north which is the last obstacle that will allow me to establish Florida residency and stop paying state income taxes and qualify for the Florida homestead exemption. Bring it on!
I had obamacare for a couple of years. I paid for a plan with a 10,000 deductible. It was only a bronze plan. The Gov't agent advised me if I worked fewer hours to lower my income he could get me a gold plan for a lower premium. That, and charging people 6-700 dollars penalty if they could not afford health insurance turned me off to the gov't policies.
Old 07-05-2023, 08:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I could not wait to be 65. My husband retired early and my son went to work so my husband eventually was able to get medicare and my son had his insurance through his job. My coverage alone was over 20 k a year in premiums with a 10 k deductible. I could not use urgent care, only an emergency, or they would not pay. The obamacare thing was horrible and could only get limited insurance because I was in NJ and could only get regular care in NJ and PA. I was able to get medicare, with coverage everywhere when I was eligible and the f plan, which is no longer offered, I believe. The medical care in this country is all screwed up!
Go to the ER with chest pains and if you are not admitted, there was a 1,200.00 penalty. That and charging people who could not afford insurance a penalty for not having it.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:06 AM

The 5% increase seems reasonable but the 10% is on the high side. We have Plan G and couldn't be happier after getting off the horrendous and expensive Medicare Advantage after first year. Luckily there is a thing called trial right which allows you to switch from Advantage to the Medicare Supplement G without having to pass their test questions during the first year.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m still several years away from qualifying for Medicare - until then, I am also stuck with the horrible and expensive Obamacare. From the research I’m starting do, I think I will be going with traditional Medicare and add a supplement when the time comes, vs having my medical managed by an insurance company through an “advantage plan” - Will be great to get off of Obamacare and see my monthly medical premiums dramatically reduced when I turn 65.
Obamacare is optional. You are probably on it because nothing else better is available. Why did you sign up for it if it is so bad?
Old 07-05-2023, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm assuming you are referring to Florida Blue as a Medicare Supplemental Plan. If so, if the medical provider accepts Medicare then your Supplemental Plan is accepted, regardless of the insurance company providing the Supplemental Plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
We are too young for Medicare and have an ACA Florida Blue plan off Healthcare.gov. It is amazing how many local providers I have called that do not take it. One provider recently dropped Florida Blue - they must have been reimbursing too low. I wonder if Florida Blue is better when it is a Medicare policy. Also our mail order Pharmacy is Amazon Prime Pharmacy.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:19 AM

I have Mutual Of Omaha plan G. Last year I had a shoulder replacement and three new discs in my neck. Not counting prescriptions & a couple office visits. My total out of pocket for the year was $1200! Can’t beat it!
Old 07-05-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Do you know if it would reduce the chance of a snowbird to claim Florida residency if you chose a Massachusetts Supplement Plan? I read that some states check medical usage to force residents to continue to pay state income taxes.
When you move to Florida, file a Declaration of Domicile with the State/County and you should be good. You must advise your helath insurer that you moved as they may not cover that state or the premiums may be different.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I get a kick out if those who despise Obamacare (ACA) but enjoy its benefits. Kind of like the politicians who boast about the infrastructure bill but voted against it.

Last edited by Chi-Town; 07-05-2023 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:00 AM

Premiums are age based, so yes, you will see an increase every year, but a small one. Your employer health insurance went up every year too when you were a part of their plan. As long as meducal costs continue to rise, so will your health insurance costs..
Old 07-05-2023, 10:37 AM

Yes. Increasing healthcare costs continue - there doesn't seem to be an end. Healthcare costs and healthcare premiums have increased annually at rates higher than overall inflation (CPU/CPI) for many years. Our "leaders" (all parties) continue to let this insanity go on at our cost. I'd plan for continued significant increases in your healthcare costs during retirement - if you end up spending less over time great, but you're better off planning for it. That means your Medicare premium may double again in 5 years. Let your elected leaders know you're sick of this.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I get a kick out if those who dispise Obamacare (ACA) but enjoy its benefits. Kind of like the politicians who boast about the infrastructure bill but voted against it.
Right! ACA was not tweaked nor improved - it was just pulled apart and fought over by nearly every politician involved. * All parties failed us - not just 1.* So now we're worse off than ever and holy cow have you seen the amount of $$ we're all paying?
Old 07-05-2023, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Very happy with our medicare advantage plan,
as long as you stay healthy, only incur health accidents which are routinely fixable, such as broken bones, etc, and don't require specialty drugs / procedures to live, you will be fine.

medicare advantage plans get finicky is when you require expensive drugs/ medical care to live. . that scenario creates hits to the budgeted profit growth, and they can get finicky about coverage at that point. . . which is the uncertainty about the advantage plan as you age. . .

The insurance companies are predicting / expecting healthy living and average payouts per year per population age and risk pool

former finance guy
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, premium, month, increased, retired

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.