Medicare supplement plans

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas
Default Medicare supplement plans

Husband and I will be on Medicare this fall. Asking TOTV for recommendations on supplemental plans. Please share your plan and why you chose it. In addition, we will be snowbirds in TV and we take few drugs - need advice on Part D plans too. TOTV, by far is the best place to ask for advice. Thanks in advance.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 07-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Husband and I will be on Medicare this fall. Asking TOTV for recommendations on supplemental plans. Please share your plan and why you chose it. In addition, we will be snowbirds in TV and we take few drugs - need advice on Part D plans too. TOTV, by far is the best place to ask for advice. Thanks in advance.
Today, I am asking again for any advice about Medicare supplemental plans and Part D plans. I am concerned about receiving care in TV (Florida) versus my home state. You, who already live in TV, know best. I was exploring part D plans yesterday and, yikes, what pharmacy plan do most use?

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 07-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Location: Polo Ridge TV via New Hampshire, Isles of Shoals, Maryland and Massachusetts

Hi - I'm still up in NH and too young for Medicare (for now), but it looks like these folks should be able to help and they are at Lake Mirona Rec Center a couple of times a month. SHINE - Sumter
Old 07-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Default Medicare sup

Check the rates for your home state vs Fl, because your home state rates may be cheaper than Florida rates. Unless you be come Florida residents, I believe that you can use the rates of the state that you spend most of the year. The difference for us was $2400 a year more in Fl. Part D rates were the same.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Platinum member

Hubby and I both have AARP United Health Care Plan F, as well as their Part D and have been more than pleased!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
ALL plans for 2014 have not been announced yet by Medicare. Any plan you pick for 2013 will probably change in 2014. Info on new plans Will Not be avail until Oct 1 2013. There maybe some new players by that time. If moving here after Oct 1 you will be able to see the new plans.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Platinum member

Once you are on Medicare, you will be required to pay about $100 per month from your Social Security check for Medicare coverage. Supplemental or "Advantage" plans cost anywhere from $0 to about $225 per month. At the top end you get a plan like the AARP sponsored Plan F, delivered by United Health Care, and it's related prescription plan. This plan covers everything Medicare covers, no matter where you are, with no additional out-of-pocket costs. Plan N is pretty good too, and costs about $75-100 less, but there are doctor and hospital co-pays.

On the other end, there are $0 premium plans which offer coverage beyond Medicare with co-pays, some as low as a few dollars for a prescription or a doctor visit. Some of these even offer free gym memberships, dental cleanings and x-rays, etc. However, many of these plans will not cover you "out-of-network" (important for snowbirds), unless you have an emergency. Also, many of these make you pay co-insurance, which may be 20% for many procedures. Chemotherapy is a good example. Those extra costs can easily make Plan F premiums look like the bargain of the century.

If you're healthy, look at those inexpensive plans, but insist reps tell you what kind of coverage you will NOT have if you get sick or need other health care. Use a half-dozen examples like cancer, heart attack, stroke, joint replacement, etc.

In the end, the best plan is the one which gives you the most confidence. But you can't come to that conclusion until you compare a number of plans to each other. I suggest you start learning about plans now, before you become eligible and before the short enrollment period beginning October 1. Best of luck!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Veteran member

Here's another vote for you to go to a SHINE meeting. Check the rec news for locations.

Be carefull as many 'advantage' plans require you to pick a home location and you'll only be covered outside the home location in an emergency.

Not sure about supplements.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Today, I am asking again for any advice about Medicare supplemental plans and Part D plans. I am concerned about receiving care in TV (Florida) versus my home state. You, who already live in TV, know best. I was exploring part D plans yesterday and, yikes, what pharmacy plan do most use?
Suzie The info from ijusluvit is not 100 correct, many errors. Look for yourself and and you will see.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Sage

Suzi, my recommendation is to check on policies with UnitedHealthcare. If you are in TV, you can call a local UnitedHealthcare rep who will come to you and explain the options available. He is Rick Goupil, 407-417-0893.

Being snowbirds, I think you are wise to go with Parts A & B, a supplement and Part D.

Regarding which Part D is best for you, go to medicare.gov and use their online form to enter you drugs. It will tell you which Part D plan will be best for you. Depending on the drugs, each of you might end up going with a different policy.

Good luck... it's a jungle out there!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 AM

Suzi
Call Rosemarie Pensabene, local United rep 352-347-6780. She will explain and make everything very clear. She will come to your home.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 AM

Check with Preferred Care in TV--RX plan is excellent and check with them about your summer stay up north to see coverage.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.