Medication, Medication, Medication

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaW1948 View Post
I don't really understand why people are offended by the information being given here when it sounds both sensible and important. My guess is that most patients do not answer the drug questions properly, particularly the one relating to whether you still have any part of your prescription left in the house. Now I understand the importance, I will answer differently.
People get offended by the most ridiculous, innocuous things. It's especially bad here. Although seniors, they have embraced the childish PC trend of being offended and outraged. Normal people would just not continue reading a post they don't care about. Sometimes they get into a feeding frenzy when they smell blood in the water. Then it's Katie bar door. Sorta like street gangs.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts
Default Dear Nurse Head

I wonder if your the nurse typing on the computer for the last 55 minutes while my Doctors appointment time passed 1 hour 15 minutes ago. Just get me out of the office before I need to add Xanax to my medication list. Work on tomorrow's lesson from home, not on my time.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:04 AM

I am very sorry if I am being taken wrong. My intent when starting this was to do a daily post as to something behind the scenes in a doctor office. I don't mean to lecture or upset anyone. I only post things that I have been asked more than once during a patient's visit. I do not think anyone is stupid. I personally am the type of person who would like to know why you need to know what I have if I'm not taking it. I understand that a lot of you already know this so the post is annoying to you. But like I said. I have had patients ask these questions in the past. So, if I have helped at least one person be less annoyed with the process of seeing their doctor because now they know the why behind it, I am happy
Old 10-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUHLBACH1@HOTMAIL.COM View Post
I wonder if your the nurse typing on the computer for the last 55 minutes while my Doctors appointment time passed 1 hour 15 minutes ago. Just get me out of the office before I need to add Xanax to my medication list. Work on tomorrow's lesson from home, not on my time.
That really isn't called for, she is just trying to help. But if you do add Xanax to your med list, please write alprazolam next to it to avoid "generic confusion"
Old 10-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemindofanurse View Post
I am very sorry if I am being taken wrong. My intent when starting this was to do a daily post as to something behind the scenes in a doctor office. I don't mean to lecture or upset anyone. I only post things that I have been asked more than once during a patient's visit. I do not think anyone is stupid. I personally am the type of person who would like to know why you need to know what I have if I'm not taking it. I understand that a lot of you already know this so the post is annoying to you. But like I said. I have had patients ask these questions in the past. So, if I have helped at least one person be less annoyed with the process of seeing their doctor because now they know the why behind it, I am happy
I hope you helped more than one! Some people are just a little sensitive if they feel they are being told what to do, I think it's just a touch of transference from their childhood. They're not wrong, it's just the way they feel. I was surprised a bit at the general negative reaction to some pretty good info---info from our side of the stethoscope that most do not know, so I'm guessing they were more offended by the presentation than the information. I've had the same experience now and then, so I just watch my phraseology and throw in a humorous line. But I have been told I'm not as funny as I think I am
Old 10-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We the old, the smart, the sensitive are beginning to fail in a few ways. It HURTS to be lectured like we are old and failing. The whole tone of your posts, well meaning as it is, sounds superior and a bit frustrated.

I taught four and five year olds for thirty years so I consider myself rather patient with people who can't write right and who sometimes cry. We are all just people and we always need to be treated as if we are beautiful and smart and young.

And by the way, I can tell you are beautiful and smart and young.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We the old, the smart, the sensitive are beginning to fail in a few ways. It HURTS to be lectured like we are old and failing. The whole tone of your posts, well meaning as it is, sounds superior and a bit frustrated.

I taught four and five year olds for thirty years so I consider myself rather patient with people who can't write right and who sometimes cry. We are all just people and we always need to be treated as if we are beautiful and smart and young.

And by the way, I can tell you are beautiful and smart and young.
And that's you're a "sage"
Old 10-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemindofanurse View Post
Unfortunately, your good intentions were met with a much too frequent attack the messenger tactic by a few self anointed PC police. Your honest, and I think accurate, portrayal of a typical patient was appreciated by a few people that can handle the truth without getting all wound up over "tone" or some other BS PC term. If you stay on here long enough, you will begin to see who these people are.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas
Default We had to learn the EMR too

A lot of us nurses got out of the field (retired) because of the many painful changes to the world of medicine. We remember when you scribbled notes on PAPER to add nursing notes at the end of the day to the patients chart. Alas, that time is gone and this new language (EMR) takes your nurses and doctors hands off you and on-to a computer. When you visit the doctor, many people just "sigh"when asked the same 'ole questions visit after visit. This nurse is trying to tell you the WHY's - the reasoning behind the questions. She is trying to EMPOWER you as the consumer of health care. Please take her advice as it is meant.......this new language isn't easy for any of us.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 10-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
A lot of us nurses got out of the field (retired) because of the many painful changes to the world of medicine. We remember when you scribbled notes on PAPER to add nursing notes at the end of the day to the patients chart. Alas, that time is gone and this new language (EMR) takes your nurses and doctors hands off you and on-to a computer. When you visit the doctor, many people just "sigh"when asked the same 'ole questions visit after visit. This nurse is trying to tell you the WHY's - the reasoning behind the questions. She is trying to EMPOWER you as the consumer of health care. Please take her advice as it is meant.......this new language isn't easy for any of us.

Well said.

Perhaps that could be explained, or a gentle fib that the boss makes me ask.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
This is 100% correct. EMRs are both a blessing and a curse. I'm afraid completing all the data fields is becoming the purpose of our work instead of a tool. Regulators love them since they can "count beans", which they believe is a measure of quality care. They cannot possibly understand what we do, so they reduce it to the lowest common denominator. Then they convince themselves how wonderful it all is and demand more and more data, backed by more and more regulation. Who loses?---the patient, whose interaction time with their health care provider is greatly diminished.

When my nurse or I ask you "Is the lighting in your house adequate", or "Do you have enough food in your pantry", or "Do you have a grab bar in your shower" (Yes, these are actual questions), please realize these are not our brilliant idea, they are the brainchild of some rocket scientist in Washington who is growing his own fiefdom of bureaucracy, and are MANDATED. We don't like it any more than you do. If someone is having difficulty managing at home alone, they can easily be referred to Social Services who will do a home assessment and report all the stupid little details to CMS, there is no need to take time away from patient care to answer their questions. Same is true with going over med lists time and time again---if you don't get it by the 3rd or 4th time, we're going to have to find an alternative. Same is true of handing out HIPPA forms everywhere you go. My pharmacy wanted me to sign the HIPPA form for a med the vet gave my dog. (I couldn't resist, I asked the twit if she wanted my dog to sign it herself---she was dead serious and said that would be preferable (they probably gave her a raise, or a new job at HCFA))
And I don't get the impression the OP is dissatisfied with her JOB, just the garbage that has been heaped upon her.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Dear inthemind, thank you for taking the time to explain the why's. Sometimes knowing how things are run makes it much easier to accept the irritants. Hopefully, by now, we understand your intent and most of us will not take umbrage at the tone and instead be grateful for the time and effort you are making for us.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Dear inthemind, thank you for taking the time to explain the why's. Sometimes knowing how things are run makes it much easier to accept the irritants. Hopefully, by now, we understand your intent and most of us will not take umbrage at the tone and instead be grateful for the time and effort you are making for us.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Sage

The nurse asked my husband prior to surgery at Munroe Hospital in Ocala, "Do you feel safe at home?" We were both puzzled. "Finally he answered, "Why yes, I live in The Villages!"
Old 10-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
The nurse asked my husband prior to surgery at Munroe Hospital in Ocala, "Do you feel safe at home?" We were both puzzled. "Finally he answered, "Why yes, I live in The Villages!"

And of course, you both could clearly see how important this question was for the surgeon to do a good job. If the EMR didn't have this answered, medicare or his insurance company would give him a "black mark" (I hope the surgery indeed went well and your husband is fine)
Closed Thread

Tags
medication, taking, patient, home, stands, blah, pain, antibiotic, days, taking-, surgery, left, needed, bottle, medicine, medications, doctor, information, med, boxes, emergencies, bad, injury, discontinued-, specifics

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.