Mediterranean Diet?

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Sage
Unhappy Mediterranean Diet?

Want more information of the health benefits of olive oil and the Mediterranean Diet? Check out the video below by Jeff Novick. about 8 min.

Olive Oil is NOT Health Food but Sick Food - YouTube

Ounce for ounce, olive oil is one of the most fattening, calorically dense foods on the planet. The bottom line is that oil will add fat to our already plump waistlines, heightening the risk of disease, including diabetes and heart attacks, says Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

Dr. Esselstyn agrees, stating that between 14 and 17% of olive oil is saturated, artery-clogging fat, every bit as aggressive in promoting heart disease as the saturated fat in roast beef.

“They (oils) contain saturated fat which immediately injures the endothelial lining of the arteries when eaten. It doesn’t matter whether it’s olive oil, corn oil, or any other kind of oil”, he says.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

what about coconut oil
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Sage

It's oil so same category, coconut milk is ok.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Sage

Jimbo, sounds like you're issuing diet advice without information on the patient.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Sage

I'm not offering any advise, only options from my own experiences and what I've researched.

Nor am I referring to a patient.

I merely found an interesting video that I thought I would share, nothing more.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Sage

I agree that the standard American diet is way too high in saturated fat, especially from all the many animal products. And I agree that those who have a family history of heart disease must take special care to limit saturated fat.

However, I just remembered reading something years ago about the fact that we need some saturated fat in our diets. If we don't get any from our diets our bodies will manufacture it but it won't be as good as what we would get from food. It's important for the building of cell membranes and it also serves as fuel for your heart and other tissues. The bottom line: Saturated fats should be strictly limited but not completely eliminated.

The amount you would get from using a small amount of olive oil, for example, would not be harmful.

For a more complete explanation, search the following: "Why do you need saturated fat? Wiki answers.com"
Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
a small amount of olive oil, for example, would not be harmful.

For a more complete explanation, search the following: "Why do you need saturated fat? Wiki answers.com"
I'm going to disagree on that point, Wiki is great but not exactly a medical source.

a small amount is harmful, like a drop of gas on a fire.

see [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_o4YBQPKtQ&feature=fvwrel"]this little clip[/ame]
Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Veteran member
Default The great Fat debate

Here is a link that will explain why some healthy fat is necessary. Coconut oil is the healthiest oil and is great for cooking. Use organic virgin coconut oil which is available in stores and on the internet. There are many references at the bottom of the article. See if the message resonates with you. I am also using it on my psorias spot and it is is clearing up. It also has anti fungal and anti viral properties so I think it is worth checking out. The first link is to the article and the second link is to the coconut research center.

LW888

The Great Fat Debate - Why Virgin Coconut Oil Is Best

Coconut Research Center Home Page
Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Sage

Surely Jimbo is talking about adults in these diet discussions since children , especially very young children need additional nutrients he feels are not good for a body.
Am I correct in making that assumption, Jimbo?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Sage

yes I agree, kids are a whole other topic, I don't speak to my gran kids about it, other than to say eat as many veggies as you want.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Here is a link that will explain why some healthy fat is necessary. Coconut oil is the healthiest oil and is great for cooking. Use organic virgin coconut oil which is available in stores and on the internet. There are many references at the bottom of the article. See if the message resonates with you. I am also using it on my psorias spot and it is is clearing up. It also has anti fungal and anti viral properties so I think it is worth checking out. The first link is to the article and the second link is to the coconut research center.

LW888

The Great Fat Debate - Why Virgin Coconut Oil Is Best

Coconut Research Center Home Page
I have my virgin coconut oil in the fridge and a small amount with my cosmetics and facial products in the bathroom. It is a great face and hand moisturizer!
It's great to cook with, imparting no flavor to whatever you cook in it, however, I do like fried eggs and the coconut oil just doesn't give it the flavor a tiny bit of butter does...
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran member

Diets and Politics are two subjects that will never be settled. All i can do is throw my two-cents worth in.
Two years ago I was 78 lbs. heavier than I am now. I started out with a salmond and salad diet, which is like the Mediterranean diet. The most important thing is get up and exercise, exercise, exercise. It doesn't matter what kind just keep moving. At the same time you can't go out in the Villages and eat every night, walk around Sumter Landing eating ice cream cones, or setting at Cody's for happy hour and eating specials everyday. That's what I was told was the cause of The Villages' 30. (weight gain the first year.) I wasn't told what the second year averag was.
I think some of that is probably more important than a spoon full of olive oil. Even though I don't use any oil. Only Pam Spray & that sparingly.
When a person looses several pounds and their joints quit hurting and they can bend over to tie their shoes, that is a life changing event & a big moral booster. Try it. I guarantee You'll like it.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Ounce for ounce, olive oil is one of the most fattening, calorically dense foods on the planet. The bottom line is that oil will add fat to our already plump waistlines, heightening the risk of disease, including diabetes and heart attacks, says Dr. Joel Fuhrman.
Yes, I agree with the above statement as it applies to the average overweight person that eats the standard American diet. But I don't. I'm at my lowest possible ideal weight. If I go any lower, I'd be underweight. So that doesn't apply to me.

Quote:
Dr. Esselstyn agrees, stating that between 14 and 17% of olive oil is saturated, artery-clogging fat, every bit as aggressive in promoting heart disease as the saturated fat in roast beef.
I use 2 teaspoons of olive oil per day and that gives me less than 2 grams of saturated fat. I also use about 1/4 cup of walnuts and that gives me 2 grams of saturated fat. And I enjoy good health with lower than average blood pressure. Usually 100/50

I think you missed the essence of the link. He was critical of those who eat the standard American diet and then use olive oil and wine thinking it will make everything okay. It doesn't. I don't recall him ever saying that there's no safe amount of olive oil consumption when used in a vegan diet.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Sage

"no safe amount of olive oil consumption when used in a vegan diet"

He does say that, in fact did in a conversation I had with him.

He stated - zero oil.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Veteran member
Default A different View from Italy

Average Life Expectancy: 81.86 years

Italians live an average of 3.37 years longer than Americans. Many experts draw a connection between their longevity and diet--which is more than just pasta, meat, and cheese. The Mediterranean diet is credited with lowering the risk for all sorts of diseases. The antioxidants found in olive oil and red wine--two key features of an Italian meal--can improve cholesterol, prevent blood clots, and stave off heart disease, according to the American Heart Association. Italians also rely on spices like basil, oregano, and garlic to flavor their cuisine, while Americans depend heavily on salt. As such, Italians improve their odds against high blood pressure and stroke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.