Mediterranean Diet?

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Have known many Italians who ate the Med. Diet all their lives - didn't help one bit. It's mostly all about genes.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
"no safe amount of olive oil consumption when used in a vegan diet"

He does say that, in fact did in a conversation I had with him.

He stated - zero oil.
Okay, but he (Novick) did say the following in the above film clip: "If you're eating a really healthy diet, can you get away with a little bit of olive oil? (Then he shrugs) But if you're eating an American diet, should you be putting olive oil on it? No!"

He didn't answer the first question but the assumption is, "yes", you can get away with it. But, for me, it's more than just getting away with it, I need the calories and some fat to utilize the fat soluble vitamins.

Last edited by Villages PL; 08-18-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackz View Post
Many experts draw a connection between their longevity and diet--which is more than just pasta, meat, and cheese. The Mediterranean diet is credited with lowering the risk for all sorts of diseases. The antioxidants found in olive oil and red wine--two key features of an Italian meal--can improve cholesterol, prevent blood clots, and stave off heart disease, according to the American Heart Association. Italians also rely on spices like basil, oregano, and garlic to flavor their cuisine, while Americans depend heavily on salt. As such, Italians improve their odds against high blood pressure and stroke
I'm going to disagree that oil can improve cholesterol, prevent blood clots, and stave off heart disease in Italy, can you please cite that info.

Cause of death
Coronary disease
Italy 19%
US 21%

Stroke
Italy 14%
US 7%

Diabetes
Italy 4.3%
US 3.6%

Stomach Cancer
Italy 2.47%
US .6%

High BP
Italy 7%
US 3%
Source

Oh I agree with the wine
Old 08-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Veteran member

I'm with you Lightworker888....I have been using at least 4TBLSP of Coconut Oil a day for the last year, whether in cooking or even just eating a spoonful. It does wonders....Google and see all the great articles about it.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
It does wonders....Google and see all the great articles about it
Goggle works both ways try "negative effects coconut oil"

It is better than other oils, but...

Last edited by Moderator; 08-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default German diet.

Pickle it first, add a little sugar at the end of cooking and drink a beer with it.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Veteran member

Jimbo,
The article I posted quotes the American Heart Association as the source.

QUOTE=jimbo2012;542463]I'm going to disagree that oil can improve cholesterol, prevent blood clots, and stave off heart disease in Italy, can you please cite that info.

Cause of death
Coronary disease
Italy 19%
US 21%

Stroke
Italy 14%
US 7%

Diabetes
Italy 4.3%
US 3.6%

Stomach Cancer
Italy 2.47%
US .6%

High BP
Italy 7%
US 3%
Source

Oh I agree with the wine [/QUOTE]
Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

I looked up negative effects of coconut oil and here is a link. Seems that there is no definitive evidence and note that the naysayers or cautioners are those associated with FDA and the like, which always makes me leery of the motive.

Bad Effects Of Using Coconut Oil | LIVESTRONG.COM

Seems that the argument re being a saturated fat is flawed as coconut oil has a different chain of molecules that make it different from other saturated fats. It may or may not be the "miracle" oil that some think of it as, but from all that I've read on both sides, it is still the only oil I use for cooking and I use olive oil for salads and uncooked uses. The one oil I stopped using years ago was canola oil, but that's another story!

LW888
Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I just got Dr Esslestyn's book and am trying hard to follow his program. I have 3 stents in my coronary arteries and have put on a bit of weight over the past few years. I have read a lot of different books on nutrition and sometimes don't know what to believe. A few years back, Dr Atkins and Dr Agatston seemed to make a lot of sense and had studies to back up what they were saying. Prior to that I was trying to follow the sports nutrition program of Dr Robert Haas which was the complete opposite of what Atkins and Agatston had to say. Now I'm looking at Dr Esslestyn. It all makes complete sense, but it's very difficult to totally change the way that you've been eating for most of your life.
Are there a lot of people here in TV that follow Dr Esslestyn's diet? Maybe we can form an informal club.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_o4YBQPKtQ&feature=relmfu]No Oil -- Not Even Olive Oil! - YouTube[/ame]
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I'm going to disagree that oil can improve cholesterol, prevent blood clots, and stave off heart disease in Italy, can you please cite that info.
Dr. Earl Mindell R.PH., M.PH., PH.D, author of the Vitamin Bible, has stated that olive oil can help lower cholesterol. Olive oil was one of several food items listed for the purpose of lowering cholesterol. Dr. Mindell is a registered pharmacist.

Of course it goes without saying that some Italians can mess things up by overeating certain food items like spaghetti, meatballs and sausage. In other words, if they gain too much weight by overeating the wrong foods, olive oil and wine may not be enough to prevent disease.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I have 3 stents in my coronary arteries and have put on a bit of weight over the past few years.
Are there a lot of people here in TV that follow Dr Esslestyn's diet? Maybe we can form an informal club.

You R about to see the biggest improvement in your coronary health starting in 3-4 weeks. The plaque will start to decrease, there have been documented patients that have completely opened up their blockages in under 30 months.

As to losing weight don't even think about it, eat as much as U want and U will lose anyway.

If U would like Dr. E contact info PM me.

Club? I may be interested in that.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
... sometimes don't know what to believe.
You can find a book or a doctor or a fad or an internet source to support almost any position. There are no magic solutions, although you'll hear about a new one every day. I believe that living a joyful life will make you healthy.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Now I'm looking at Dr Esslestyn. It all makes complete sense, but it's very difficult to totally change the way that you've been eating for most of your life.
There's another one that may be easier to follow. It is: "The Cardiovascular Cure" by John P. Cooke PHD. You don't have to be a vegetarian or vegan to reverse heart disease. If I remember correctly, his book allows for small amounts of lean meat. (Maybe not red meat but perhaps chicken-breast and fish.)

Last edited by Villages PL; 08-19-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran member
Default Barefoot,

I was about to say the same thing. My DH has been doing so much searching lately and depending on your filter, you can find a reason not to eat anything! We are currently back to watching our PH more closely and we are finding that 1tsp of baking soda, 1tsp of molasses in a cup of water which we split between us has really helped to get the PH consistently around 7.

When using the internet and deciding which path to follow, I have also found that it is necessary to check out more than one approach. That is why moderation is so important especially when we are hyped up about something. For me the 80-20 rule works best and helps to keep things in perspective. That being said, I know that it is easy to slip back if you haven't really embraced a particular lifestyle so we tend to go strict at first and then when we ease back we don't slip back as much. The only thing we have never gone back to was macrobiotic which I am sure is good for us, but I couldn't get excited about anything I ate and my DH really hated polenta. Now that there is so much out there about corn, it is probably just as well that we aren't eating it any more.

BTW I tried the baking soda and Apple Cider Vinegar for brushing teeth and removing plaque last night..........I'm a convert! It felt REALLY plaque free and squeaky clean.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Villages Pl. What is the motivation for the posting on here about the diet and health practices that you have chosen for yourself? Do you care about all of us? Are you concerned that your insurance rates will go up with all of our bad habits? Do you want to share your good information? Do you want to make a difference?

I have found with these sorts of things that I can only marginally influence the folks who are most tuned in to me.

I think it is interesting to know what others do about their diet and their health ....to a point...and that point is that I will consult the experts who guide my health issues; the institutions and doctors and medical experts who have saved my life and continued to guide my health choices.

I have noticed that seven or eight people are trying the vegan diet that you and Jimbo promote. I hope that makes you feel good.

Again I ask. What is your goal in talking about your diet on this forum?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.