Mediterranean diet cuts risk of heart disease.

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Really R U sure about that?

Can U cite any study that supports that theory?

A vegan, call it what it really is a "plant based diet", greatly diminishes the plaque build up in the blood vessels, it can in FACT reverse heart disease.

Eat what U want your longevity and leading an active retired life will vary in length and enjoyment, but that's just my opinion, along with millions of plant based diet followers.
I don't need a study to state vegans have heart attacks. My cousin a vegan from birth, raised by vegan parents, and always stated that he was loyal to the vegan lifestyle, even down to soap, toothpaste and eveything else he used, died at 42 from a heart attack caused by a blockage. So I'm sure you will say oh something else caused the blockage or whatever. But I don't need a study I have experienced the results my cousin had first hand. Since you implied that vegans don't have heart attacks or strokes do you have a study that says they don't??
Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Sage

yes, but I'm not wasting my time explaining it to you, eat what ever you want.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I lean toward uptown girl's comments (post #6). I also believe that the Greeks got it right when they said "all things in moderation". I have also cited before a harvard study that spoke of three types of people excreters, compnesators and storers, the latter people just stored fat. Then medical experts moved from focus on build up of fat to the problem being inflammation. The benefits of the Med diet have been around for several years now. In my view if a person is testing the limits by living on cheeseburgers then his/her habits may over-ride genetics. However, simply stated genetics determine longevity. If I listened to experts i would have given up cranberry sauce in the 1950's.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
"all things in moderation".
An excuse to eat anything.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Sage

This just in today's Houston News

Although not commonly known, a study with 300 cardiac patients who changed to a Mediterranean or other “heart healthy” diet did show some improvement at first, but studies show 25 percent of patients had another major cardiac event or died four years later. This diet allows consumption of healthier oils, such as olive oil or canola oil.

See full article here.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I don't need a study to state vegans have heart attacks. My cousin a vegan from birth, raised by vegan parents, and always stated that he was loyal to the vegan lifestyle, even down to soap, toothpaste and eveything else he used, died at 42 from a heart attack caused by a blockage. So I'm sure you will say oh something else caused the blockage or whatever. But I don't need a study I have experienced the results my cousin had first hand. Since you implied that vegans don't have heart attacks or strokes do you have a study that says they don't??
I am one who would say that it is possible for a vegan to get a heart attack. Is it likely? No, I don't think so. But if you're asking if it's possible, I would say yes. That's because there are lots of vegan foods that are less than optimal that can be overconsumed. I'm sure I cant name all of them but here's a partial list.

Candy: If one consumes too many calories from candy or other such sugary foods, it is possible to become overweight and diabetic. And diabetes makes one more susceptible to heart disease.

White flour products/ white potatoes/ white rice: Foods like these are more likely to quickly convert to sugar, causing weight gain and diabetes. And diabetes makes one more susceptible to heart disease.

Sugery soft drinks/fruit drinks etc..: Same as candy.

Sodium: High sodium vegan foods can cause high blood pressure, contribute to weight gain and heart disease.

Vegetable oils: A vegan, if he chooses, can use excessive amounts of
vegetable oils and thereby gain lots of weight. This combined with all of the above can lead to diabetes and heart trouble.

Note: When excess sugar consumption gets stored as fat in the body, it gets stored as saturated fat.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
I lean toward uptown girl's comments (post #6). I also believe that the Greeks got it right when they said "all things in moderation". I have also cited before a harvard study that spoke of three types of people excreters, compnesators and storers, the latter people just stored fat. Then medical experts moved from focus on build up of fat to the problem being inflammation. The benefits of the Med diet have been around for several years now. In my view if a person is testing the limits by living on cheeseburgers then his/her habits may over-ride genetics. However, simply stated genetics determine longevity. If I listened to experts i would have given up cranberry sauce in the 1950's.
Is there a reliable study to show that genetics determines longevity? I know the food industry would like us to believe that and they fund lots of studies, but, otherwise, I don't know of any independent study that proves it.

That's not to say that genes don't play a role but they can be overcome through lifestyle changes. For example, people may have more or less cholesterol receptors from birth(genetic). But those who have less can compensate by eating less of high cholesterol foods.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Is there a reliable study to show that genetics determines longevity? I know the food industry would like us to believe that and they fund lots of studies, but, otherwise, I don't know of any independent study that proves it.

That's not to say that genes don't play a role but they can be overcome through lifestyle changes. For example, people may have more or less cholesterol receptors from birth(genetic). But those who have less can compensate by eating less of high cholesterol foods.
I think God determines when we die. We might choose how (in some cases) but God determines when.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
An excuse to eat anything.
jimbo: I wrote moderation in all things and your response is cited above.

In all due respect I don't need an excuse. We pass this way only once and while I won't throw caution to the wind, I also am not going to feel guilty about what I consume. Moderation, exercise, positive feelings, etc go a long way.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

Hi Villages PL: Have you heard the expression ä family history of.........."
I believe genetics does plays a vital role. If not then why have scientists developed genetic testing to see if a family member has the potential for a particular disease and why is this issue being hotly debated as to the discoverable nature of such results by insurance companies, et al?

As to your comments that eating less compensates then why are some people who adher to this philosophy still running into cholesterol problems?
And why is it some folks don't give a hoot and maintain low low density and high high density levels without the need for medication? I believe this entire issue is more complicated and i believe that much of what is said in this thread is one helpful piece to this whole puzzle. However experts continue to back away from previous recommendations. and so for me the personal choice is moderation, exercise and maintain a happy attitude but I am not going to feel guilty about my food choices .
Old 02-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Hi Villages PL: Have you heard the expression ä family history of.........."
I believe genetics does plays a vital role. If not then why have scientists developed genetic testing to see if a family member has the potential for a particular disease and why is this issue being hotly debated as to the discoverable nature of such results by insurance companies, et al?

As to your comments that eating less compensates then why are some people who adher to this philosophy still running into cholesterol problems?
And why is it some folks don't give a hoot and maintain low low density and high high density levels without the need for medication? I believe this entire issue is more complicated and i believe that much of what is said in this thread is one helpful piece to this whole puzzle. However experts continue to back away from previous recommendations. and so for me the personal choice is moderation, exercise and maintain a happy attitude but I am not going to feel guilty about my food choices .
In rare cases, the liver can produce too much cholesterol. But I believe that's rare. In some cases, stress can cause high cholesterol inspite of a "moderate" diet.

In my case, I never had high cholesterol, but when I switched to a vegan diet my cholesterol level got much lower.

As you said, they may do genetic testing to see if a person has a potential for a certain disease. But, in most cases, genetic testing can never tell for sure whether the person will actually get the disease or not. That's because environment and/or lifestyle acts as the trigger that turns genes on or off.

Of course if a person lives a poor lifestyle, then genes do play a vital role as the genes for diseases will be more likely turned on. For example, most people have the potential to get lung cancer but smokers are at greater risk. If a person smokes and drinks, gets little exercise and eats a poor diet, then various genes for disease will be more likely turned on.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I think God determines when we die. We might choose how (in some cases) but God determines when.
Now you're talking about something that is based on faith and this is not the religion board, this is the Health and Medical discussion board.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.