Mesh Hernia Repair Failure - Anyone Else?

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Default Mesh Hernia Repair Failure - Anyone Else?

My husband had an inguinal hernia repair performed last year at Leesburg Hospital. It was performed laproscopically <sp?> with mesh. He has had burning at the site now and at times quite painful. We are advised by his GP that it has failed and we have to go to a surgeon to have it checked out and re-repaired. In doing a search online it is very scary to see all the failures and issues with mesh. Supposedly the issues with the mesh has been similar with pelvic mesh. Rolling up, balling up, infection, attaching to other body parts, causing many problems... I know mesh has been succesfull as well, but was wondering if there are others who had their hernia repair fail and how they had it rectified and by who if they were confident with that surgeon regardless of what state.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth95 View Post
My husband had an inguinal hernia repair performed last year at Leesburg Hospital. It was performed laproscopically <sp?> with mesh. He has had burning at the site now and at times quite painful. We are advised by his GP that it has failed and we have to go to a surgeon to have it checked out and re-repaired. In doing a search online it is very scary to see all the failures and issues with mesh. Supposedly the issues with the mesh has been similar with pelvic mesh. Rolling up, balling up, infection, attaching to other body parts, causing many problems... I know mesh has been succesfull as well, but was wondering if there are others who had their hernia repair fail and how they had it rectified and by who if they were confident with that surgeon regardless of what state.
Dr. McFadden in Ocala repaired a double inguinal hernia (left and right) for me in 2012. He did not perform laproscopy surgery because he said (if I remember correctly) that it had a high failure rate. Open surgery was performed using mesh, resulting in two, two-inch scars (one on each side). All is well four years later, and the scars are hardly noticeable.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:59 PM

I had a mesh hernia (left groin) repair at Leesburg Hospital a couple of years ago by Dr. Sam Bundz. Highly successful. Couldn't be more pleased.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:44 PM

I had it done 5-6 years ago but in Pittsburgh. It was successful
Old 08-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Platinum member

Coincidentally, my husband had two repaired about ten years ago in Pittsburgh. Then, about two years ago, Dr. Bundz repaired one at Leesburg Hospital. No problems with any.

Dr. Bundz is wonderful. We highly recommend him. We actually found him through a recommendation on TOTV.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Platinum member

I should have added that all of my husband's were laparoscopic. Very easy recovery.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:30 PM

My hernia (described above) was also laproscopic.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:58 PM
Default Hernia repair

Thanks for the responses. Seems my husbands failed but others are successful.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:32 PM

Who was your husband's surgeon?
Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 AM

It didn't work. It must be somebody's fault. You could be entitled to millions.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
It didn't work. It must be somebody's fault. You could be entitled to millions.

I'm sure your post was tic, doc, but I think the OP is legitimately looking for help in finding a good surgeon.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:59 PM

Since we have to travel to Toronto on business in a few weeks we are going to have a consultation with the Shouldice Hospital. They are well known for just performing hernia operations as well as re-repairs. I am not sure how they do it but they do file with U.S. Health care plans - which I find somewhat odd, but the consultation is free.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth95 View Post
Since we have to travel to Toronto on business in a few weeks we are going to have a consultation with the Shouldice Hospital. They are well known for just performing hernia operations as well as re-repairs. I am not sure how they do it but they do file with U.S. Health care plans - which I find somewhat odd, but the consultation is free.
Good luck. Hope it all works out well for him
Old 09-01-2016, 06:32 PM

Dr. Celia Nelson did my hernia repair with a mesh. So far no problems. Scheduled for another one later this year. Dr. Bundz great surgeon, removed one of my adrenal glands 5 years ago, no problems.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:21 PM

There have always been hernia repairs that are unsuccessful resulting in a recurrence of the hernia. The use of mesh as a reinforcement was an attempt to prevent such recurrence, but even mesh sometimes fails. And removing mesh to do another repair can be complicated. Also any surgical wound can develop an infection, but infections where there is a foreign body (mesh) are more difficult to treat.
Personally I would avoid using mesh for routine cases and would want a traditional approach rather than a laparoscopic one, because the surgeon can better see what he/she is doing. Just one opinion.
Closed Thread

Tags
mesh, hernia, repair, surgeon, issues

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.